Why hasn't DxO rated the G6 camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Dont bother with these score, real world reviews or customers reviews who have used both phone matter...iam super happy with my G6...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The score and reviews are giving us different information.

The score tells us which hardware is technically more capable under controlled conditions. These are measurements and the tests are exactly the same each time, so bias is absent. If you want an objective ranking, the scores are it.

Reviews tell us which one people prefer. This is where things like options, ease of use, etc. come into play. These are obviously subjective reviews which makes it important to find reviewers who have similar preferences to your own.

The recent example of the OnePlus 5 and G6 is a good one. OnePlus objectively has better camera capabilities this year, but most reviewers prefer the G6. This could be due to it being easier to get a good picture from the G6 when outside of the controlled conditions of the testing rituals.

j4ee

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Please prove that either LG or OnePlus 5 (or both) paid DXO for their score to be adjusted from the actual measurements. Because that's what you are alleging. Everyone who knows anything about the ratings, knows that it is a purely mathematical scaling of composite measurement results. In other words, there are no opinions in the numbers. There are opinions and analysis in the text review, but the text review does not change the actual score. So if you are going to allege corruption, you should back that up with facts, not speculation based on your own biases and external coincidence.
Do you have any prove showing dxo has a math system to calculate score? No

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The recent example of the OnePlus 5 and G6 is a good one. OnePlus objectively has better camera capabilities this year, but most reviewers prefer the G6. This could be due to it being easier to get a good picture from the G6 when outside of the controlled conditions of the testing rituals.

Keep in mind that objective tests can be subjectively applied, and thus should only be part of forming ones opinion.

A key point in this is Dx0 only testing phones in auto mode (unless they finally changed the tests), in which the results are based on a combination of hardware and software, not necessarily the best the hardware can provide. The example I often use us the LG V20, which has a rather aggressive noise reduction algorithm in auto mode that can often degrade the image quality.

Dx0 will have a score based in part on this software degraded image. They don't flip the app into manual mode, which does not apply noise reduction and can still auto expose if you wish, and test the resulting image from that. They also don't test the RAW image, which would give even more nitty gritty test results.

If you only want to shoot full auto, their test is probably objective enough. If you want to dig deeper into the weeds, then you may find yourself ignoring the test all together.

Btw, I'm not accusing OnePlus of corruption, but I did skim a blog article on here the other day saying the company was in some sort of partnership with Dx0 for the 5. The gist of it was they were trying to design the phone to be the best in their testing, but not trying to get a false result. Though, I think the article did say they came up short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance