Wireless Charging

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've used it a little as it comes with my desk at work.. It's pretty cool.. I went from 54 to 79 in about 15-20 minutes while I was answering emails..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Who uses the wireless charging function on their phones?

Loved it when I had my Droid Maxx and thought I couldn't live without it but then fast charging came along and I weaned off of it. Its OK... Has its pluses and minuses. Some love it, some hate it. I'm from the school of thought that its not really wireless charging since you are inducing a voltage by mounting the receiver literally on top of the transmitter. Yeah, there's no direct physical connection but you have to make physical contact. Wireless charging doesn't exist by definition as far as I'm concerned but that's my take on things. When I can charge my phone while walking around the room and talking while charging then we can say it exists. Think about it, way it works at the moment isn't much more convenient then the way my cordless razor charges by dropping it in its dock except that there is a direct connection in that case.

pkguy323

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 Samsung wireless charging pads that work great for the G6. One by the bedside at night, the other on my desk at work. Like the ease of simply put it down to charge, grab and go when heading out.

Jay Dubbs

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Use it before going to bed on a charging stand and in my car I have an Air Dock that I just stick my phone to and it keeps my phone there without any clamps or magnets and wirelessly charges it as I drive.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I use it almost exclusively. Due to the recent lack of phones with it, I had been hanging on to my Nexus 5. Now I have the G6 and am a happy camper. The wife will be the next recipient of a new G6 after the credit card bill gets paid.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Use it before going to bed on a charging stand and in my car I have an Air Dock that I just stick my phone to and it keeps my phone there without any clamps or magnets and wirelessly charges it as I drive.
Hmm that sounds super interesting.. Does it double as a phone mount for the car?

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I only use a wire in the car if necessary. Otherwise all wireless. Even on travel I have a small one to take and no worries about some power surge toasting your phone.

Jay Dubbs

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hmm that sounds super interesting.. Does it double as a phone mount for the car?
Yeah, it sticks to the actual charger. No clamps, prongs, etc. As long as you don't have a matte finish case you're good to go. I've had a few mounts that use a magnetic system to keep the phone attached but I can't deal with having to have to attach a metal plate to my case. I've been using this for a year and a half, no issues.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've always been envious of wireless charging capability but now that I have a phone that can do it, I can't see how it is really all that useful. I have enough conventional chargers and cables already that I have them in all the locations I ever charge my phone. I'd still need a cable, it just goes to a charging pad/stand instead of the phone. And it's not like it takes more than a second to plug the cable in (unlike the GS5 with its annoying charging port flap).

What am I missing (other than the charging mount for the car - that would be useful if I frequently charged in the car, which I don't)? I almost got a charger just for the gadget factor, but is there more to it?

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Also, if this phone still had USB-B, I'd be more inclined to try out the wireless charging. USB-C is just so much easier to work with.

floriyann

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I find it pointless since it doesn't quick charge wirelessly. So I didn't bother buying the version that has that feature. Having the Quad Dac feature and the 64Gb memory is of much greater use to me

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Wireless is "cool" but it's slow as a turtle. I've been testing my chargers (OEM, Moto Turbo, QC 3.0, Tronsmart Ai 2.4a, Yootech Qi wireless charger, etc) for the past few weeks and the short of it is this:

OEM USB-C charges my G6 from 25% to 95% in 1 hour.

Wireless charges my G6 from 25% to 50% in 1 hour.

I can't stand wireless charging with the G6 because it lacks fast charging.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wireless is "cool" but it's slow as a turtle. I've been testing my chargers (OEM, Moto Turbo, QC 3.0, Tronsmart Ai 2.4a, Yootech Qi wireless charger, etc) for the past few weeks and the short of it is this:

OEM USB-C charges my G6 from 25% to 95% in 1 hour.

Wireless charges my G6 from 25% to 50% in 1 hour.

I can't stand wireless charging with the G6 because it lacks fast charging.

A good wireless charger will charge as fast as a normal charger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835