took some video underwater and here's what happened

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not to be the sour person here just a slight warning.

Using your phone in anything other than room temperature tap water would void your warranty.

Swimming pools typically have chlorine, would most likely cause issues for you phone. Salt water is a big no go. Salt is highly corrosive and would eventually kill your phone. Hot showers is also a no go.

IP68 is not waterproof and is most definitely not saltwater proof. The test is done with plain tap water and how it's approved.

The choice is yours of course. If you're willing to risk it. The IP ratings on phones is for 'accidental' water.

This is technically correct. The devices are tested in room temperature tap water, with no motion, jets or current and the devices are either powered off or in deep sleep when they are submerged. No device should ever be used while underwater and the addition of chemicals or motion or temperatures are not protected against, warrantied or tested.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I see a lot pf people behaving as if their device is "waterproof."

IMHO, consumers generally do not understand what the ratings mean, their true use as a preventative in case of accidental exposure and the limitations of the protection. This is aided and abetted by the manufacturers themselves and their advertising tactics.

So when I see these people out and about, swimming with their phones and yucking it up I just laugh to myself and realize they will learn an expensive lesson the hard way.

Good Times.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is technically correct. The devices are tested in room temperature tap water, with no motion, jets or current and the devices are either powered off or in deep sleep when they are submerged. No device should ever be used while underwater and the addition of chemicals or motion or temperatures are not protected against, warrantied or tested.
Agreed.... Too many believe they have purchased an underwater camera and because they have submerhed it few times without issues it's OK. The water resistance is there to help prevent accidental damage and light exposure to the elements.

Tony tata

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
lol for the record, I know all of the above so no need to warn anyone. I knew exactly what I was getting into. just posting what I did and what the outcome was. also got a great video memory in the process. don't always assume someone is ignorant.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
lol for the record, I know all of the above so no need to warn anyone. I knew exactly what I was getting into. just posting what I did and what the outcome was. also got a great video memory in the process. don't always assume someone is ignorant.

Not everyone knows though so it's important to make sure that rando people stopping by are aware of the risks, etc. A LOT of people see LG making a commercial with underwater photos and assume that LG is saying that that's safe and something that they think users should do. Unfortunately, LG marketing and LG warranty don't match up and marketing is apparently completely unaware of what IP68 certifies, etc. No insult to you is intended at all by people posting what's actually "safe" vs what people do.

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site

I'm with you, Tony. No ignorance here. I've got 4 kids and don't have time to worry about stuff breaking LOL . The G6 has gone through a lot of water activities with me and it's fine. Use stuff, love people (not the other way around). I got my G6 for less than $100 so that is an added bonus :)

Oh, and headed to Maui in the fall and you know what that means for my G6 :D

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The S8 is powered off, placed in a tank that's 1.5 M deep room temperature, still, tap water for 30 minutes. It's then removed, allowed to be dried off and then powered on.
When I accidentally drop my phone I pull the battery first
3e9f792a94156dc4ab11034f76f245e2.gif

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
You folks are brave.

Even with it being IP68 rated, I do everything I can to keep it away from moisture. Heck, I even get nervous when it's in my pocket and it's lightly raining.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You folks are brave.

Even with it being IP68 rated, I do everything I can to keep it away from moisture. Heck, I even get nervous when it's in my pocket and it's lightly raining.

I'm glad you get the idea. To each his own but I would not submerge any phone underwater intentionally.

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
If anyone is interested I started a new business at a mall kiosk. I will hermetically seal your IP68 (already sealed) phone and program it to automatically go into deep sleep mode if water if detected within a 3 foot radius OR humidity gets above 65%. Only $300. A small price to pay for a second layer of protection.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
The video wasn't 30 mins long 😂😂😂 so he's good.. Plus threads have been created for underwater shots and videos. Sometimes we folks need people like Tony to do what some of us wouldn't do. 😝😜