07-20-2017 09:57 PM
48 12
tools
    Ok so I'm currently on vacay in Myrtle Beach. Took some video underwater of my daughter and the camera worked fantastic. I didn't get any warnings and I let the phone dry out. So that night I went to plug it in and it started charging as normal. At some point in the night it detected moisture and stopped charging which is fine. So I plugged it in later and it charged fully normally, but when I unplugged it, it kept ringing like I was plugging in it and unplugging it consecutively. To fix this all I did was turned the volume off and turned it back up and everything was normal. Was a little weird but the phone still works great.
    HBLEY and pkguy323 like this.
    07-12-2017 02:15 PM
    Ok so I'm currently on vacay in Myrtle Beach. Took some video underwater of my daughter and the camera worked fantastic. I didn't get any warnings and I let the phone dry out. So that night I went to plug it in and it started charging as normal. At some point in the night it detected moisture and stopped charging which is fine. So I plugged it in later and it charged fully normally, but when I unplugged it, it kept ringing like I was plugging in it and unplugging it consecutively. To fix this all I did was turned the volume off and turned it back up and everything was normal. Was a little weird but the phone still works great.
    Yeah same thing happened to me when i took my G6 in sea water and then washed it under tap water...then after many warning of moisture i dried the charging port with hair dyer and in a day phone was back to normal
    Tony tata likes this.
    07-12-2017 07:27 PM
    Seems the hair dryer trick night be the way to go...
    Tony tata and Morty2264 like this.
    07-12-2017 07:42 PM
    Seems the hair dryer trick night be the way to go...
    Just blow dry your hair while talking on the phone
    07-12-2017 09:38 PM
    I would if I had any.... :-)
    07-12-2017 10:15 PM
    Here I thought you'd be showing us your cool underwater video! Oh well.
    Morty2264 and Afshier like this.
    07-13-2017 08:45 AM
    I've been on vacation this week and been in either a pool or the ocean water.

Seeing this thread made me so tempted to try using my S8+ under water but I always chickened out haaaa ?!?!
    Tony tata and Jeremiah Bonds like this.
    07-13-2017 08:55 AM
    That's no good
    07-13-2017 08:58 AM
    I would if I had any.... :-)
    I kind of expected that...lol
    Tim1954 likes this.
    07-13-2017 09:18 AM
    Here I thought you'd be showing us your cool underwater video! Oh well.
    I did also think this too.
    07-13-2017 09:20 AM
    Unfortunately it won't let me post the video 😒
    07-13-2017 11:12 AM
    Unfortunately it won't let me post the video
    Probably have to upload to YouTube and link it.
    Tony tata likes this.
    07-13-2017 11:13 AM
    Probably have to upload to YouTube and link it.
    Ok cool I'll do that
    07-13-2017 11:27 AM
    shaimere and jchapman01 like this.
    07-13-2017 11:30 AM
    Excellent, thank you.
    Tony tata likes this.
    07-13-2017 11:37 AM
    Glad everything is back to normal for you now! Enjoy your vacation! I'm envious! :P
    Tony tata likes this.
    07-13-2017 11:38 AM
    having a great time, thank you! ends on Saturday so a little disappointed lol.
    Morty2264 and Aquila like this.
    07-13-2017 12:06 PM
    having a great time, thank you! ends on Saturday so a little disappointed lol.
    I know what you mean! Savour it!
    07-13-2017 12:13 PM
    Not to be the sour person here just a slight warning.

Using your phone in anything other than room temperature tap water would void your warranty.

Swimming pools typically have chlorine, would most likely cause issues for you phone. Salt water is a big no go. Salt is highly corrosive and would eventually kill your phone. Hot showers is also a no go.

IP68 is not waterproof and is most definitely not saltwater proof. The test is done with plain tap water and how it's approved.

The choice is yours of course. If you're willing to risk it. The IP ratings on phones is for 'accidental' water.
    RumoredNow and Qc_Anubis like this.
    07-14-2017 08:53 AM
    these phones are not meant to be used for under water photography. they are not water proof only water resistant. your carrier and manufacture will not cover water damage for the phone under warranty ever.
    07-14-2017 09:36 AM
    Not to be the sour person here just a slight warning.

Using your phone in anything other than room temperature tap water would void your warranty.

Swimming pools typically have chlorine, would most likely cause issues for you phone. Salt water is a big no go. Salt is highly corrosive and would eventually kill your phone. Hot showers is also a no go.

IP68 is not waterproof and is most definitely not saltwater proof. The test is done with plain tap water and how it's approved.

The choice is yours of course. If you're willing to risk it. The IP ratings on phones is for 'accidental' water.
    This is technically correct. The devices are tested in room temperature tap water, with no motion, jets or current and the devices are either powered off or in deep sleep when they are submerged. No device should ever be used while underwater and the addition of chemicals or motion or temperatures are not protected against, warrantied or tested.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-14-2017 09:51 AM
    Yep, I see a lot pf people behaving as if their device is "waterproof."

IMHO, consumers generally do not understand what the ratings mean, their true use as a preventative in case of accidental exposure and the limitations of the protection. This is aided and abetted by the manufacturers themselves and their advertising tactics.

So when I see these people out and about, swimming with their phones and yucking it up I just laugh to myself and realize they will learn an expensive lesson the hard way.

Good Times.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-14-2017 10:08 AM
    This is technically correct. The devices are tested in room temperature tap water, with no motion, jets or current and the devices are either powered off or in deep sleep when they are submerged. No device should ever be used while underwater and the addition of chemicals or motion or temperatures are not protected against, warrantied or tested.
    Agreed.... Too many believe they have purchased an underwater camera and because they have submerhed it few times without issues it's OK. The water resistance is there to help prevent accidental damage and light exposure to the elements.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-14-2017 10:13 AM
    lol for the record, I know all of the above so no need to warn anyone. I knew exactly what I was getting into. just posting what I did and what the outcome was. also got a great video memory in the process. don't always assume someone is ignorant.
    lightrules likes this.
    07-14-2017 11:50 AM
    lol for the record, I know all of the above so no need to warn anyone. I knew exactly what I was getting into. just posting what I did and what the outcome was. also got a great video memory in the process. don't always assume someone is ignorant.
    Not everyone knows though so it's important to make sure that rando people stopping by are aware of the risks, etc. A LOT of people see LG making a commercial with underwater photos and assume that LG is saying that that's safe and something that they think users should do. Unfortunately, LG marketing and LG warranty don't match up and marketing is apparently completely unaware of what IP68 certifies, etc. No insult to you is intended at all by people posting what's actually "safe" vs what people do.
    N_LaRUE and Qc_Anubis like this.
    07-14-2017 12:10 PM
48 12