Got the LG G6 at the end of April from ATT. Have had nothing but problems. The first thing that happens is that my weather app stops updating (time stamp remains the same for hours). This is with the factory pre-installed weather app, but it did the same thing when I installed my own. the next thing that happens is my text message updates either stop coming through (no numbers showing new messages) or that I have numbers showing and all my messages are read. then my youtube notifications, facebook notifications, groupme notifications, instagram notifications, and calls stop coming through. I got a replacement phone after two factory resets didn't fix the issue. then they sent me a sim card because my phone didn't have one and ATT phones are supposed to. It seems like my phone is having a hard time pulling down any kind of signal, so I only get updates intermittently. And when I do I get a dozen notifications at the same time showing that my phone has been trying to get info through to me for hours (a facebook update will say "someone commented on your timeline", but instead of saying "now" it says "3 hours ago". Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I don't want to give up on the G6, especially because it's going to be a hell of a fight to get ATT to provide me with another phone as I am well outside the window for a restock or anything like that, but I haven't even had the phone 90 days.
    07-13-2017 12:17 PM
    Mod Note: Thread moved for better visibility.
    07-13-2017 12:38 PM
    First of all - "they sent you a sim" - who?

If not AT&T, take that baby down to the AT&T store and ask them for a new sim. This may or may not fix your reception problem but it at least eliminates a variable. But since this has happened with two phones, maybe you just don't have a good AT&T signal where you are meaning AT&T was not the right carrier to choose. Did you have a phone on AT&T before?
    07-13-2017 02:44 PM
    First of all - "they sent you a sim" - who?

If not AT&T, take that baby down to the AT&T store and ask them for a new sim. This may or may not fix your reception problem but it at least eliminates a variable. But since this has happened with two phones, maybe you just don't have a good AT&T signal where you are meaning AT&T was not the right carrier to choose. Did you have a phone on AT&T before?
    Hi Bobdob! Sorry I didn't specify. Yes, "they" is AT&T. My first phone did not have a simcard as the manager at the store said that AT&T had moved to an eSimcard service. After I factory reset my phone twice, they agreed to replace my phone under warranty, and as soon as I got the replacement phone it prompted me to insert a simcard (which my first phone hadn't ever prompted me for). The technician I spoke to over the phone said that AT&T hasn't fully rolled out the eSimcard service yet, and that yet, putting a simcard in my phone was the most likely solution to my problem.

I put the simcard into the replacement phone and booted everything up a week and a day ago, but now things seem to be degrading just as they did on my previous phone. I have been on AT&T for about a decade and signal never seems to have been a problem before. The only common denominators seem to be me and the fact that I have gone from Samsung to LG, and I'm not ready to think it's me just yet.

I have uploaded all of the same apps each time within the first 24 hours of either a factory reset or getting the replacement phone, and I haven't changed anything during that time. I do allow my phone to automatically update those apps though.

Hopefully this is more information to go on.
    07-13-2017 05:30 PM
    eSimcard? That makes no sense to me in a literal sense. The first phone probably had the sim pre-installed and they just activated it, unlike the old days when they pulled out a new sim from their stash and actually inserted it in your new phone. Once you have an active sim you can move it freely (provided it fits) between AT&T phones and whichever one your sim is in, that's your active phone.

Now, I will say that I have a hard time getting a signal at my house in general, and the G6 is much worse in this regard than my previous phones. Probably 95% of the time I have no signal (compared to about 50% with my previous phone), but this is not a problem thanks to wifi calling, a great new feature of the G6. Do you have home internet, and if so, do you have wifi, and are you connecting your phone to it? If you have wifi at home and you are NOT connecting your phone to it, that is pretty much a "must" so that you do not overuse your mobile data. And then, if you enable wifi calling, your calls and texts will go over your home internet (or whatever wifi you happen to be connected to at the time) and a bad cell signal will not hamper you.

Whether or not calling and texting are an issue (and thus whether or not you use wifi calling), connecting to your wifi will definitely let your apps get their data on a much more reliable (and mobile-data-friendly) basis.

There are some small downsides to wifi calling but for me they are vastly outweighed by the fact that I can reliably make and receive calls from my house!

And of course, if you do not have internet service at your house, you are out of luck there. If you have internet but no wireless, you can get an inexpensive wifi router and be in business without much trouble and still use your wired devices just like you already are.

At any rate, all wifi aside - I could still see you having a bad sim, maybe it is working intermittently and that's why your phone is not connecting some of the time. If you go to a corporate at&t store they should give you a new one for free. Worth a try.
    07-16-2017 05:35 AM