People with G6 and S8 experience (hands on or through research)

spinachie

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and it's a great phone, but have the opportunity to upgrade to a G6 or S8 (S8 will be about 200 more expensive.

I liked my G5, but battery was a little lower than expected and found a great deal for S7 Edge ( :-[ )

What I love about G6 compared to S8:

Fingerprint scanner position
Wide camera lens
I can use a glass screen protector with full clarity (rather than naked or 'film' screen protector which makes screen clarity poor)
Price

What I love about S8 compared to G6:

LOVE the design.
I like the curved screen
Iris scanner
64GB native storage vs 32GB (native is always better for me)

I am a bit worried about battery life, which do you think will do better?

If price wasn't an issue, would you still choose G6?

Thanks!!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and it's a great phone, but have the opportunity to upgrade to a G6 or S8 (S8 will be about 200 more expensive.

I liked my G5, but battery was a little lower than expected and found a great deal for S7 Edge ( :-[ )

Wide camera lens
I can use a glass screen protector with full clarity (rather than naked or 'film' screen protector which makes screen clarity poor)
Price

LOVE the design.
I like the curved screen
Iris scanner

Thanks!!

Having had both and the S8+ I feel pretty comfortable commenting on the battery in terms of my experiences.

G6 - 6 1/2 hours consistently
S8 - Lately I've been hitting 7 hours consistently but have dipped down to 6 hours on occasion.
S8+ - 8 1/2 hours consistently but got rid of it after a week.

Only you can decide which one looks better but the G6 is quite possibly the most comfortable device on the market currently. It is an absolute joy to hold in the hand.

The only reason I don't have the G6 anymore was due to helping someone out in a bad situation. Otherwise I would be using both devices regularly.

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Regardless of price (even though the G6 wasn't much cheaper then S8 in the UK) I would choose the G6 over the S8. For me the S8 wasn't even a consideration with only the curved screen available, I really don't like them at all and feel they add nothing. This is just personal preference though, I know just as many people like yourself like the curved screen.

As for battery life, I'm very happy with my G6. I can often make it through the day with mixed usage and still have over 30% remaining. Obviously that will vary from user to user, but the general consensus is positive overall. I can't personally comment about the S8 but I believe the battery is at least comparable to the G6.

Impenneteri

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
One con of the G6 also is that it doesn't wake up when a notification comes up even for Messaging.

IMO, the wakeup feature is important especially when you place your phone in a desk beside you and if the notification is important that you need to reply immediately or something you can attend to later.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
S8 has a faster processor but is very much prone to lagging. I had to reboot mine every other day because it would slow down so bad

spinachie

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the great replies :)

One con of the G6 also is that it doesn't wake up when a notification comes up even for Messaging.

IMO, the wakeup feature is important especially when you place your phone in a desk beside you and if the notification is important that you need to reply immediately or something you can attend to later.

Whoa, I never knew this. Isn't this the whole point of a phone these days? Is there nothing that can be done to alter this in settings?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the great replies :)

Whoa, I never knew this. Isn't this the whole point of a phone these days? Is there nothing that can be done to alter this in settings?
Textra will wake the screen.

My S8 also doesn't wake up for alot of notifications. Email for example, just makes a noise but you do have a LED that flashes.

I think most companies are relying on the Always ON Display.

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site

Yes I would. Like others have said, I don't like curved screens. You mention screen protectors, I only use tempered glass. The G6 has an in-hand feel that is SO nice. As for Iris scanner, do people REALLY use it? Seems FPS is way more popular/useful/secure. I think it comes down to 2 things for the S8: design and AMOLED. If those aren't huge points for you, the G6 is 2nd to none IMHO. And man, that wide angle lens (both front and rear) is so practical, hard to go back to anything else. As for notifications, AOD is enough for me.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Wide camera lens
Price

LOVE the design.
I like the curved screen
Iris scanner

Thanks!!
If price wasn't an issue I'd still choose the G6. I got it at full price on release day

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I've owned the s8+ since about launch got a g6 today,i'll say this the iris scanner is not worth your money it's more of a bandage solution to the finger sensor being in an odd place. The 64 BG is nice if you need it but you can use a micro sd card on both.Curved screens are fragile as hell too,so if you're the type of person that drops their phone again not worth it,specially since i've heard mostly bad about glass protector for the s8 since you know.... it's curved. Overall it is an incredible device to use and samsung's amoled never cease to amaze me. But i went for the g6 mostly since their UI is still less heavy than samsung's own+ i didn't need adb to get my mobile data shortcut on mine xD so it's a + for me. Oh should also mention if you use headphones alot get the g6 the quality you can get is ameizing !

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Amoled display burn in alone is reason enough for me to choose G6 over S8. Every single Samsung phone I've ever owned suffers from screen burn in. Yes I use Waze and I spend alot of time driving, but it's a real issue for me so Amoled is out of the question.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

This bugged me too til I installed an app in the PlayStore calls Screen Notifications by Luke Korth. It wakes the screen for 10 secs (or whatever you set it to) and shows your notifications on the lockscreen pretty much identically as the iPhone does if you're familiar with that. It made a massive difference to my G6.

I still miss my G6, I had an s8 Plus then the G6 then back to regular s8 which I have now. The G6 was tonnes more comfortable to hold, had better call quality, great wide angle camera, better manual camera controls, dark theme, better FPS, double tap to wake,
Things I prefer on the s8 are slightly better rear camera (and faster which is very important if you have young kids or pets to snap), much better front camera, notification led, slightly better AOD thanks to the Amoled screen, Iris scanner, one handed mode, slightly better battery life. I'm sure I've missed a few from both but whatever you choose you'll be happy

Last edited:

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This bugged me too til I installed an app in the PlayStore calls Screen Notifications by Luke Korth. It wakes the screen for 10 secs (or whatever you set it to) and shows your notifications on the lockscreen pretty much identically as the iPhone does if you're familiar with that. It made a massive difference to my G6.

I still miss my G6, I had an s8 Plus then the G6 then back to regular s8 which I have now. The G6 was tonnes more comfortable to hold, had better call quality, great wide angle camera, better manual camera controls, dark theme, better FPS, double tap to wake,
Things I prefer on the s8 are slightly better rear camera (and faster which is very important if you have young kids or pets to snap), much better front camera, notification led, slightly better AOD thanks to the Amoled screen, Iris scanner, one handed mode, slightly better battery life. I'm sure I've missed a few from both but whatever you choose you'll be happy
I was wondering where you were. Lol

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Amoled display burn in alone is reason enough for me to choose G6 over S8. Every single Samsung phone I've ever owned suffers from screen burn in. Yes I use Waze and I spend alot of time driving, but it's a real issue for me so Amoled is out of the question.
And every Samsung phone I've owned, my wife owned, my kids owned, parents owned, friends owned have NOT ever gotten screen burn in. Don't know what to say, but that's a lot of phones with no burn in

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You know asking this question in the lg G6 forum your going to get biased answers. Ask the same question in the S8 forum and you'll get biased answers towards the S8. Get the phone that works for you, like there is no one phone that is right for everyone. Both G6 and S8 phones are good phones.

By the way, I've gotten over 15 hours on my S8 plus, and I've never done that with any other phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2