T-Mobile Updates

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've never really checked it, but stuff has been closing so much more often than it did with the previous update. I really hope they fix it in the next update.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What are the differences from before to now? I never checked mine before the update so I have no idea.
If it's what everyone had been seeing, memory swallowed up in system stuff (so not accessible to apps) more than doubled... Usually it would be about 1.4G, it's now 3 - 3.5G. So something in there is consuming 2G more than before.

Considering that a small amount is reserved, 128 to 256, that means this 4G phone can only carry about 256 to 512MB worth of running apps. That's horrid.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking at mine now with nothing open, I have 2.3GB free
That's a good 1G higher than what it used to be previously, but not as bad.

That's what I can't figure. All of TMobile's G6s are the exact same model... No variations on storage or other bits. Yet not every phone runs into this issue, or not every phone had system bloat to over 3.

Every G6 I've personally seen has the same problem as me... And the T-Mobile store rep that I talked to said she has had a lot of people come in and complain. So it has to be widespread. I'm mashing the 'check for updates' daily in the hopes they push out a fix. But LG's not exactly good, and with the V30 coming, the G6 is yesterday's news.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I should add I have disabled every T-Mobile app that had that option and have not downloaded any other T-Mobile apps or updated any that I do not use.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... now? No more crashing... it's a mirac...

Wait... it's not. I got ahold of Tmo support and they overnighted me a replacement. It came with 10h loaded and I quickly disabled the auto OTA and suppressed the notification that 10p awaits me. Man.. phone runs GREAT when you have enough ram to run more than the settings menu. :) I know that the update doesn't affect every G6 it hits, but I'm not going to chance it.

I figure I'll sit back and chill until the next build comes.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I did another factory reset again last week and its been pretty good. I don't think the battery life is as good as it was on the previous build but I'm not having any issues with performance and the battery life is acceptable. I forgot to put in on the charger last night and only lost a couple percent overnight. Checked my memory usage for the last 24 hours and I'm at 2.1GB average. I was having major issues after first installing and it took two factory resets to get it to be good again so hopefully I'm set till the next build which looking at the history is at least a month away.

Side note, had some fun with friends friday night, they were trying to use their iphones (SE & my wife's 6s) for pictures in a dimly lit bowling alley and mine blew theirs away, they all admitted it was better which I love when iSheep have to be humble lol.

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
yeah...this latest patch has really f**cked memory management on this phone. i do a hard reset at least once a week to help mitigate this problem. Id do a factory reset to see if that completely fixes it, but im too lazy to re set up my phone.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
over the past week my OS has crashed 3 times. My wife's phone is so slow now it's ridiculous. All has happened since the TMO patch.
This is very unfortunate. The wife and myself are on the October Security patch, and so far none of the AT&T updates have caused issues with ours so far. Such ashame that carriers have so much involvement on updates. Really makes me envious of Pixel and iPhone updates.

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is very unfortunate. The wife and myself are on the October Security patch, and so far none of the AT&T updates have caused issues with ours so far. Such ashame that carriers have so much involvement on updates. Really makes me envious of Pixel and iPhone updates.

apple has been able to strong arm the carriers, google/samsung/lg/etc. need to do the same and tell the carriers to f off and put the updates out.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It's very bad. It's actually pushed me to leave my beloved G6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance