Headphone jack issues

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having problems with the headphone jack on the G6? I noticed some problems early on, but hoped it was just bad timing with an "old" aux cable and an old pair of earbuds, but I've replaced each and it seems to be getting worse.

I have a short 1' aux cable (2 pole) with two 90-degree ends that I use to plug into my car stereo. Just touching it when it is plugged in causes it to crackle, pause/play the track, and skip. Same result with an older cable and a brand new one I just got from Amazon. Just to verify it's not the cable, I just tried my old Droid Turbo and it is flawless. I can wiggle and spin the plug and absolutely nothing happens.

I also have a couple pairs of earbuds (3 pole) with inline mic. The old cheaper pair worked ok at first, but now cause the volume to spontaneously raise and lower, and keep pulling up Assistant. Same earbuds work fine in the Turbo. I have a newer pair of earbuds, also with an inline mic, that work fine in the G6.

I've ruled out it's obviously not the cables or earbuds if they work fine in the Droid Turbo, but still one pair of earbuds work fine in the G6... strange. Just wondering if anybody else has issues? I'm thinking of contacting LG, but I hate the idea of sending it in and probably getting a refurbished phone...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone having problems with the headphone jack on the G6? I noticed some problems early on, but hoped it was just bad timing with an "old" aux cable and an old pair of earbuds, but I've replaced each and it seems to be getting worse.

I have a short 1' aux cable (2 pole) with two 90-degree ends that I use to plug into my car stereo. Just touching it when it is plugged in causes it to crackle, pause/play the track, and skip. Same result with an older cable and a brand new one I just got from Amazon. Just to verify it's not the cable, I just tried my old Droid Turbo and it is flawless. I can wiggle and spin the plug and absolutely nothing happens.

I also have a couple pairs of earbuds (3 pole) with inline mic. The old cheaper pair worked ok at first, but now cause the volume to spontaneously raise and lower, and keep pulling up Assistant. Same earbuds work fine in the Turbo. I have a newer pair of earbuds, also with an inline mic, that work fine in the G6.

I've ruled out it's obviously not the cables or earbuds if they work fine in the Droid Turbo, but still one pair of earbuds work fine in the G6... strange. Just wondering if anybody else has issues? I'm thinking of contacting LG, but I hate the idea of sending it in and probably getting a refurbished phone...
Odd that some pairs work and some don't. I would check for lint in the jack hole with a small plastic tooth pick or small paper clip.
Lint could stop some plugs from making contact verses others that work. If that doesn't work then the port could be bad.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Check for lint. Take a small piece of tape and turn it inside out to where the sticky suffer is facing out. Make it small enough to fit in the jack. You may have to do it several times.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried the toothpick and a tightly rolled piece of tape, sticky side out, and even shot a blast of canned air in the port. None of that helped, simply the fact that some headphones work fine and some don't made me doubt that it was just lint...

I found a couple threads on reddit and xda which confirm my thought that the earbuds with the inline mic have a slightly bigger plug, helping it make a tighter connection. I suppose it's possible the manufacturing tolerance of the port was just a bit off, so some smaller plugs have issues but bigger plugs work. So I ordered a 3-pole audio plug from Amazon to see if that helps. As far as the earbuds with the mic that still don't work, I'm thinking I've just sweat in them too much while running, and there is a problem with the earbuds themselves.

Will update when I get the new audio cable, in case anyone else is having similar problems some day.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I tried the toothpick and a tightly rolled piece of tape, sticky side out, and even shot a blast of canned air in the port. None of that helped, simply the fact that some headphones work fine and some don't made me doubt that it was just lint...

I found a couple threads on reddit and xda which confirm my thought that the earbuds with the inline mic have a slightly bigger plug, helping it make a tighter connection. I suppose it's possible the manufacturing tolerance of the port was just a bit off, so some smaller plugs have issues but bigger plugs work. So I ordered a 3-pole audio plug from Amazon to see if that helps. As far as the earbuds with the mic that still don't work, I'm thinking I've just sweat in them too much while running, and there is a problem with the earbuds themselves.

Will update when I get the new audio cable, in case anyone else is having similar problems some day.

In your case it wasn't lint, however I suggested it for the very reason that you think it could not have been. If it was lint a different size or shape plug could have made the difference. Since that was not the issue you may actually have a defective port. Most likely the spring tension of the contact might be bent or stressed.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
In your case it wasn't lint, however I suggested it for the very reason that you think it could not have been. If it was lint a different size or shape plug could have made the difference. Since that was not the issue you may actually have a defective port. Most likely the spring tension of the contact might be bent or stressed.

Haven't gotten my new aux cable yet, but have definitely tried several cables/earbuds side by side with my old Droid Turbo, and the Turbo is fine where the G6 crackles. And I've tried cleaning the port a couple more times for good measure, but I'm thinking the port is definitely effective.

Think it's best to go directly to LG for repair or most likely replacement? It's a Verizon phone purchased at Best Buy (2 months ago), so not sure if I should start with either of them instead? I'm really hoping to get new vs. refurb, I think a faulty product less than 3 months old deserves new replacement...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Haven't gotten my new aux cable yet, but have definitely tried several cables/earbuds side by side with my old Droid Turbo, and the Turbo is fine where the G6 crackles. And I've tried cleaning the port a couple more times for good measure, but I'm thinking the port is definitely effective.

Think it's best to go directly to LG for repair or most likely replacement? It's a Verizon phone purchased at Best Buy (2 months ago), so not sure if I should start with either of them instead? I'm really hoping to get new vs. refurb, I think a faulty product less than 3 months old deserves new replacement...
By Verizon policy you probably won't get new unless you talk them into it. Online is easier than in the store. If you send it to LG, most likely they will repair.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
By Verizon policy you probably won't get new unless you talk them into it. Online is easier than in the store. If you send it to LG, most likely they will repair.

Yeah, just spent about an hour with a Verizon Chat bot/script reader, making sure my phone was up to date, trying it in safe mode, and finally going nuclear- FDR even though it was clearly a hardware issue. Then we argued the semantics of "new" vs. "like new" for awhile and I finally gave in because I need a phone with a headphone jack that works. At least they're sending me the replacement first, before I return the defective one, so I have a chance to inspect before accepting it. Don't really want to switch to a backup phone for an extended period while LG repairs, so it is what it is. Thanks for your feedback.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, just spent about an hour with a Verizon Chat bot/script reader, making sure my phone was up to date, trying it in safe mode, and finally going nuclear- FDR even though it was clearly a hardware issue. Then we argued the semantics of "new" vs. "like new" for awhile and I finally gave in because I need a phone with a headphone jack that works. At least they're sending me the replacement first, before I return the defective one, so I have a chance to inspect before accepting it. Don't really want to switch to a backup phone for an extended period while LG repairs, so it is what it is. Thanks for your feedback.
No problem....LG takes about two weeks

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I just started having the same problem. It's very consistent now that it just doesn't work right with any plug. some completely cut out, while others just sound soft and tinny unless I put pressure on the left side of the plug. Will have to start a return. V30 sounds great, but not getting confidence in LG quality and slow to roll updates on their latest flagship

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I think I fixed it. (fingers crossed)
The very top contact on right side appeared to be almost recessed with the jack frame. It's on right side so that is consistent with pushing from left to get better contact. I used a very tiny 1.2mm screwdriver to very slightly pry it out a little farther. I tested briefly with 4 contact mic headset and regular stereo plug. Both worked flawlessly despite any jiggling. Previously both had sound issues and the stereo plug was usually recognized as a headset.

Last edited:

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ive been having the same issue lately. Luckily, tmo processed an exchange for me. They tried to charge me 20 bucks since I don't carry insurance, but reminded them that it was a manufacturer defect and not damage. They waived it.

The very top contact on right side appeared to be almost recessed with the jack frame. It's on right side so that is consistent with pushing from left to get better contact. I used a very tiny 1.2mm screwdriver to very slightly pry it out a little farther. I tested briefly with 4 contact mic headset and regular stereo plug. Both worked flawlessly despite any jiggling. Previously both had sound issues and the stereo plug was usually recognized as a headset.

Last edited:

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my last phone's (Moto X) charging port. Every OEM Moto charger I purchased would quit working within a few weeks, however still worked on everything else. I purchased a few Aukey cables as well and they would stop working within a few days. Then I was digging in my closet and found a couple of old HTC cables from my HTC Titan and HTC Surround days and they worked just fine. Still do in fact. I chalked it up to the pointy contacts on the bottom of the micro USB being longer and sharper.

No real reason for this story-- just anecdotal I guess. :)

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Nice job. Maybe I should've attempted to mess with it myself a little, but I guess I didn't see myself digging into that tiny space. I did end up getting a "like new" replacement that seems to work fine, so all's well I guess.

Side note - when I got the replacement, it was overdue for the recent update and decided to automatically download it (500 MB) over mobile data the next day while I was at work, without prompting me. So I got to have another fun conversation with a Verizon chatbot, and demanded a data credit, which they gave me (1 GB). I guess to turn off automatic updates you have to go into Developer Mode, and apparently I was supposed to know that...

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
You can turn off "check and download updates" but then you have to go check for them. You would think there should be a option for wifi only.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off "check and download updates" but then you have to go check for them. You would think there should be a option for wifi only.

That's what I was thinking... Usually when updates first come out you get plenty of opportunity to defer. I figure my replacement phone was a month or so overdue for it so no longer gave me the choice to defer... but at a very inopportune time.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So a couple of updates to this...

1) My "like new" replacement has developed the same headphone jack issue after about 2 weeks. I know that seems like quite a coincidence, but I have tried my G6 side by side with my old Droid Turbo in my car with 3 different aux cables, my home stereo with an aux cable, and several pairs of ear buds. I only have one pair of earbuds that work fine on my G6, but all of the above work fine on the Droid.

2) My sister got a new G6 based on my recommendation a couple months ago, and I come to find out that her headphone jack never worked, at all... She's not extremely tech savvy, so just chalked it up to hearing that some phones were eliminating the headphone jack so she just assumed it wasn't supposed to work...

Anyways, I called VZ Customer Service, preparing for an argument and planning to jump ship to another carrier, but this time the rep is treating it as a new phone <14 days old, and has offered to either give me a new retail G6, or credit the original retail price towards another new phone of my choice. I have until Tuesday to decide. So... now I'm torn. I really liked the G6 and am tempted to try another and hope 3rd time's the charm... But I'm tempted to take the opportunity to apply the retail credit towards a Pixel XL, which is what I originally wanted before the G6 prices were slashed. Or see if I can buy a couple more days until the V30 announcement?

I'm sure most here would stay with the G6, and I'm very tempted, but just thought I'd update and ask again if anyone else is experiencing headphone jack problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol