Headphone jack issues

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Pixel XL at this point. Bonus points because I've been wanting to test out Fi without buying a full retail unlocked Pixel. I think this way I can switch my Verizon sim to a backup phone and pop a Fi sim in the Pixel to test out the network.

Still, that V30 though...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Pixel XL at this point. Bonus points because I've been wanting to test out Fi without buying a full retail unlocked Pixel. I think this way I can switch my Verizon sim to a backup phone and pop a Fi sim in the Pixel to test out the network.

Still, that V30 though...

Will they let you wait for the V30?

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Will they let you wait for the V30?

I haven't asked yet, the CS rep is supposed to call me back on Tuesday. At that time I may ask if I can wait for the V30, and if not then I'll just go with the Pixel. I'm not sure what their exact policy is, but waiting for the V30 would mean I spend more $ on the device and am less likely to stray since I can't test Fi (though I haven't told them that). I'll be satisfied either way, compared to the last time around...

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, just to close this out, the Verizon CS rep who said I could exchange my 2nd faulty G6 for a new phone didn't know what she was talking about. All they would do for me was give me another refurbished replacement. After all that runaround, and some other billing issues I'd been having with Verizon, I sold the G6 and bought a Pixel XL on Swappa, and have left Verizon for Fi. ***Edit to clarify: I sold the refurbished G6 that Verizon sent me, not the one with the bad headphone jack.

All in all, I greatly preferred the G6 over the Pixel. I miss qi charging, and the bluetooth is spotty on the Pixel (an issue I'd heard about). But I have a working headphone jack, Fi service has been great in my area, and best of all it's nice to have a phone with no bloatware for a change!

I will definitely miss my G6 though, hope everyone here is still enjoying theirs!

Last edited:

Eatadick05

Nov 17, 2017
Visit site
Yes! I have the g6 and sure enough the headphone jack is garbage I sent it in 3 times eventually had to get a refurbished phone even tho mine was less than a month old(not impressed) so the new phone guess what has the exact same issue...Ive bought at least 3 pairs of headphones...They must say for Android or they dont connect properly..point being its a g6 issue.
Rogers and LG were no help and essentially useless...dont buy this phone if you want to listen to music...so glad I loaded 40 gigs worth on my sd card...whine

Last edited by a moderator:

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess this is one reason manufacturers are trying to wean us off headphone jacks. Making them smaller makes them more fragile. Between the cables and jacks themselves I've had this kind of trouble since my first Walkman, and lint adds yet another dimension.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been having headphone jack issues as well. You would think it would be from over use. I rarely use it. But when I do it crackles and cuts out just touching the headphone plug. The idea of sending in this phone just to get a replacement is not worth it just for that issue. I would love to be able to sell this phone to be able to pay for a Pixel or P2.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been having headphone jack issues as well. You would think it would be from over use. I rarely use it. But when I do it crackles and cuts out just touching the headphone plug. The idea of sending in this phone just to get a replacement is not worth it just for that issue. I would love to be able to sell this phone to be able to pay for a Pixel or P2.

I was in the same boat as you (and mainly because I wanted to dump Verizon and switch to Fi) so I bought a Pixel XL (New-In-Box) on Swappa. But as I mentioned in a previous post, the bluetooth performance on the Pixel is pretty bad. It struggles to connect with several of my speakers and vehicle (all of which paired flawlessly with my G6 and Droid Turbo before that) and also has spotty (crackly, skips) performance with my primary pair of wireless earbuds. At least the headphone jack works, so I'm definitely not switching to P2 and trusting bluetooth as a primary headphone connector. I hope they get it figured out, because I know headphone jacks aren't coming back and my choices are limited on Fi...

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I had that issues that headhones just slide off, but i realized that with different case and different headphones that doesn't seem to happen anymore.
Bibdob i don't say hello to the idea of getting rid off headphone jack.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had this problem, but I have had cases on other phones that don't allow the headphones to make good contact.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm chiming back in here. I fixed my headphone jack by prying out one of the prongs. The one on the right. I also bought a pixel usb-c headphone dongle. One of my biggest gripes of this phone is the placement of the headphone jack. I had the LG G4 before this and its placement was perfect. But, having the dongle is a nice addition. I don't use it all the time and couldn't imagine a phone without the headphone jack. But for $9, it's a good experiment to see if I could live without one. As far as the audio quality compared to the headphone jack, I can't speak directly on that. I use a set of jvc earbuds. But I'm my car, I've noticed a huge improvement over the headphone jack. Both in loudness and overall sound quality. Both of our cars don't have Bluetooth, so we rely on aux input. If you can't or don't want to try fixing your headphone jack, definitely go to the Google store and pick up a headphone dongle. You won't be disappointed.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been enjoying the convenience of my new bluetooth headphones so much that, even though they can also operate wired, I've not been doing that. So I am pretty sure I will be OK with any future headphone-jack-less phone.

But I do have to agree with droidXclone on the bluetooth performance. Other than a little bluetooth earpiece for making calls, I have never used bluetooth audio until recently so I had no frame of reference. My headphones drop out once every few minutes when listening to music on my phone and I figured that was normal, but since they do not do this when connected to my laptop, obviously it's not.

As for the headphone dongle, this is a good observation. I sometimes use the aux jack in my wife's jeep - not yet with this phone - and the audio level is definitely low. A different DAC can make a difference there. Just make sure if you get a dongle that you get one of the powered ones with DAC, not just an analog adapter, because the analog audio is not routed through the usb port.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Just came back to this thread while trying to help someone who is having a different headphone jack issue with a Pixel XL.

Joshua Luther2 - Could you post a link to the USB-C dongle you bought? I've been thinking of trying one too, and want to make sure I get the right one.

bobdob - To be clear, you are talking about having bluetooth audio issues on the G6, not a Pixel, correct? I never had bluetooth issues on my G6.

Bottom line, I'm sure headphone jacks will continue to go away and are not coming back. So we'll all be living the dongle life and relying on bluetooth in the future. It would be nice if bluetooth performance could be cleaned up a bit. I know the new AptX technology is pretty good quality, I'm not even an audiophile as I mostly listen to podcasts. I just want something that will connect quickly and reliably, and not skip or cut out...

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
bobdob - To be clear, you are talking about having bluetooth audio issues on the G6, not a Pixel, correct? I never had bluetooth issues on my G6.

Yes, on the G6. But to be fair, the non-audio bluetooth performance (staying connected to my fitbit and smartwatch) on the G6 have not given me any problems.

Rubes001

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Old post, I know - but I thought you might like to know that I am about to (reluctantly) return my 3rd V30+, 2 of them have lost sound from the RH channel. So you can rest easy in your decision as there have been no improvements in build quality.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Just came back to this thread while trying to help someone who is having a different headphone jack issue with a Pixel XL.

Joshua Luther2 - Could you post a link to the USB-C dongle you bought? I've been thinking of trying one too, and want to make sure I get the right one.

Bottom line, I'm sure headphone jacks will continue to go away and are not coming back. So we'll all be living the dongle life and relying on bluetooth in the future. It would be nice if bluetooth performance could be cleaned up a bit. I know the new AptX technology is pretty good quality, I'm not even an audiophile as I mostly listen to podcasts. I just want something that will connect quickly and reliably, and not skip or cut out...
I bought mine on the Google store. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...b_c_headphone_adapter?hl=en-US&token=nxPLjmiE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae