LG G6 Speaker heat issue

daneosour

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
I bought my G6 few months ago, June 02, 2017. After a few days of using it, I tried playing music at a max volume. After 3 to 5 minutes, I noticed that my speaker heats up like 37°C to 40°C. :(
I asked few of G6 users if they are experiencing same issues like mine but they said they don't.

Do you guys experience same issue while using your phone's sound at maximum volume? Thank you!

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Your speaker heats up or the phone temperature ?

I don't have heat up problems with mine.
7b1c65ee42e4855904b8c444b3d5bea9.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought my G6 few months ago, June 02, 2017. After a few days of using it, I tried playing music at a max volume. After 3 to 5 minutes, I noticed that my speaker heats up like 37°C to 40°C. :(
I asked few of G6 users if they are experiencing same issues like mine but they said they don't.

Do you guys experience same issue while using your phone's sound at maximum volume? Thank you!

I don't see how your speaker can heat up. Could be your phone heating up and traveling through the speaker area.

daneosour

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys, this is where the portion of my phone heats up whenever I play music at max volume(please see photo)

G6-medium10.jpg

I just normally play music; my entire phone doesn't heat up at all, only the red circle at the photo.

Hi devaa,
What kind of app are you using for monitoring? Currently using CPU-Z but I think it only gives me thermal report of my Battery, not the phone itself.

Thank you!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A speaker should not heat up like that... about the only reason I can come up with is something wrong electrically with the speaker module that is causing the circuitry to heat up. That's bad news... could mean that the part is in danger or shorting out. I would contact service and get that addressed.

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
A speaker should not heat up like that... about the only reason I can come up with is something wrong electrically with the speaker module that is causing the circuitry to heat up. That's bad news... could mean that the part is in danger or shorting out. I would contact service and get that addressed.
I agree, best to get it swapped as soon as possible.

daneosour

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
So the red part and the blue part both heat up ? I use system monitor aswell as cpu-z...

Only the red part heats up when playing music. The blue part normally heats up when I'm using certain apps such as Facebook etc, blue part ain't issue to me

I went to the store yesterday. Tested their G6 demo unit, played a music for a couple of minutes while the volume is at max. And yes, the demo unit's speaker is heating up as well. Tried it on 2 demo unit.

It's risky that they will open the rear part of my phone to check it since the rear part is embedded to the phone and cannot easily opened unlike v20 which has non-removable battery. And it would take 2 weeks(approx.) to get my phone back.

Last edited:

daneosour

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
So the red part and the blue part both heat up ? I use system monitor aswell as cpu-z...

Only the red part heats up when playing music. The blue part normally heats up when I'm using certain apps such as Facebook etc, blue part ain't issue to me

I went to the store yesterday. Tested their G6 demo unit, played a music for a couple of minutes while the volume is at max. And yes, the demo unit's b is heating up as well. Tried it on 2 demo unit.

It's risky that they will open the rear part of my phone to check it since the rear part is embedded to the phone and cannot easily opened unlike v20 which has non-removable battery. And it would take 2 weeks(approx.) to get my phone back.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
could be circuit. our repair guy thought the same when a friend and i went there just a weeks ago.

Correct..... Because s speaker, especially one that small shouldn't generate heat. In fact the coil or element would burn out before generating that much heat.

SirSeun

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
I noticed this same issue the day I took the phone out of its box..the exact spot where the speaker is located on the back glass heats up (hot enough to feel it with the back of my palm) whenever I play songs via the speaker.. I Googled this issue early July but it seemed I alone had this issue...

SirSeun

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
Speakers can heat up pretty well if it's overpowered.. I.e if the amp is driving the speaker coil way higher than it was designed to work with.. Probably caused by excessive bass tuning of the speakers via software cuz the Speaker does have decent bass, loudness and clarity for it's small size.

SirSeun

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
I watched some disassembly videos of the LG g6 and the only component I could see within the heating area was the speaker so definitely it's being overpowered and hope this doesn't result in the speaker failing in the long run

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I watched some disassembly videos of the LG g6 and the only component I could see within the heating area was the speaker so definitely it's being overpowered and hope this doesn't result in the speaker failing in the long run

Excessive heat will burn out a speaker coil or element. Still find it strange that it would generate so much heat. I wonder if the water resistance design is a contributing factor.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you try connecting the phone to a Bluetooth speaker or headset and playing music for the same amount of time to determine that it is in fact the speaker, and not coincidentally something else? Just a thought.