Some Gripes About my new LG G6

neokrizzo

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
I just received my new LG G6 today, and I've been testing things all day.

So far I found 2 issues:
1. No flashlight widget or application. You can only access the flashlight through the notifications bar but it's a 2 step process. You have to slide down the notifications bar then open the drop down to get to the flashlight. Ideally, a flashlight should be easily accessible. Most times people use a flashlight is when they really need it or in an emergency - spur of the moment circumstances. It would be convenient to have this on the home screen or at least have the option.

I read some articles saying that there is a "torch" or flashlight widget but there is none to be found. I have no idea what these people are talking about. They right 2 pages about the LG G6 torch widget... I'm guessing they don't even own a G6? And, they assumed it was just like its predecessor?

2. Shortcut icons on the lock screen. I have no idea why there are even settings for this or why this is even a feature. First of all, you cannot access the lock screen shortcuts because of fingerprint security or password lock security. Once you unlock your screen, you will enter the home screen rendering the lock screen shortcuts useless. I wanted to remove all of the shortcuts but 2 of them are stuck there and cannot be removed.

These 2 very simple things annoy the hell out of me.

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site

So far I found 2 issues:
1. No flashlight widget or application. You can only access the flashlight through the notifications bar but it's a 2 step process. You have to slide down the notifications bar then open the drop down to get to the flashlight. Ideally, a flashlight should be easily accessible. Most times people use a flashlight is when they really need it or in an emergency - spur of the moment circumstances. It would be convenient to have this on the home screen or at least have the option.

I read some articles saying that there is a "torch" or flashlight widget but there is none to be found. I have no idea what these people are talking about. They right 2 pages about the LG G6 torch widget... I'm guessing they don't even own a G6? And, they assumed it was just like its predecessor?

2. Shortcut icons on the lock screen. I have no idea why there are even settings for this or why this is even a feature. First of all, you cannot access the lock screen shortcuts because of fingerprint security or password lock security. Once you unlock your screen, you will enter the home screen rendering the lock screen shortcuts useless. I wanted to remove all of the shortcuts but 2 of them are stuck there and cannot be removed.

These 2 very simple things annoy the hell out of me.
Hi.

Regarding the torch/flashlight, the only thing I can suggest is looking for an app in the play store. There should be something in there to cater for your needs.

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I seem to have Calendar widgets available from the stock calendar app.
fd5745f39639e3b333799ead446f785b.jpg

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

So far I found 2 issues:

Double-pull the notification shade to get to full selection of quick setting icons. Then you can drag them into any order, so if you want the flashlight icon as a primary option, you can just drag it up to the top (into one of the first five spaces).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

So far I found 2 issues:
1. No flashlight widget or application.

2. Shortcut icons on the lock screen. I have no idea why there are even settings for this or why this is even a feature.

For the flashlight, yeah, about the only thing you can do is add the flashlight toggle to the quick settings at the top of the notification drawer. There are ways around it of course... using a different launcher though... Nova and Action launcher may allow a short gesture or shortcut.

For the shortcut icons... they are there for double tap to wake. Yes, if you press the power button, it'll unlock the phone before you ever get the chance to do anything with the lockscreen, but just double tap the screen.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
.. it's a 2 step process. You have to slide down the notifications bar then open the drop down to get to the flashlight...

You can reorder those items. The first six in the list show up with the first swipe of the notification bar. I moved the flashlight into those first 6 so it's just a swipe down of the notification shade and then click on the flashlight.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There's no calendar widget either.

You aren't using the default launcher, perhaps? I just looked on mine and the cal widget is there if, and only if, I have one of the stock launcher configs loaded. But I am using Action Launcher at the moment. Bothers me little as I use the Google Calendar.

LG does that often with some of their internal stuff... they have things integrated to the point where if you break the chain, such as running a third party launcher, there are missing hooks the app needs to function properly so they don't allow it. I suspect that the widget has some special functions/features that are not available in the stock Android widget controls.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You aren't using the default launcher, perhaps? I just looked on mine and the cal widget is there if, and only if, I have one of the stock launcher configs loaded. But I am using Action Launcher at the moment. Bothers me little as I use the Google Calendar.

LG does that often with some of their internal stuff... they have things integrated to the point where if you break the chain, such as running a third party launcher, there are missing hooks the app needs to function properly so they don't allow it. I suspect that the widget has some special functions/features that are not available in the stock Android widget controls.

That's correct; I'm using Nova. See https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g6/823711-lg-g6-initial-impressions-2.html#post5924175 for a few other quirks/gripes.

On the whole, I'm happy with the G6, especially the excellent reception I'm getting. But some of these little quirks are annoying.

I just confirmed that the LG Calendar widgets are available in the LG Home launcher. It's not a big deal for me; I don't have a burning need for calendar widgets. I suppose it's not really about the launcher but the LG Calendar app itself, which is otherwise quite good.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
"Ok Google, flashlight on"

I know not everyone likes talking to their phone, but in terms of turning on the flashlight asap, this works.

neokrizzo

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
You can reorder those items. The first six in the list show up with the first swipe of the notification bar. I moved the flashlight into those first 6 so it's just a swipe down of the notification shade and then click on the flashlight.

Thanks! Didn't know you could do that. I'm still disappointed that there is no flashlight widget or app on the phone. It would be convenient to have it on the home screen. I downloaded an app which works fine.

I guess I was getting worked up because after Googling about the flashlight, I read so many long-winded instructions about the stock flashlight app and widget on the G6 that are NOT on the G6.

I still don't understand why there are shortcuts on the lock screen that you can't access. Double tapping the screen only wakes your phone to a locked screen. The lock screen shortcuts are still inaccessible.

However, pressing the volume rocker twice can get me to the camera as a shortcut.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why there are shortcuts on the lock screen that you can't access. Double tapping the screen only wakes your phone to a locked screen. The lock screen shortcuts are still inaccessible.

However, pressing the volume rocker twice can get me to the camera as a shortcut.

You have to swipe the shortcuts, not just touch them (and then unlock the phone via fingerprint or pin). The volume button shortcut is more convenient but of course has the downside that it only works with the screen off. I wish the double-press-volume-button actions could be reassigned too -- I don't understand why volume-up is set to capture+. How often do I need to capture my screen's contents while it's locked???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463