Facial recognition on last update!!!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I received facial recognition in the last update. What do you guys think about it? Anyone using yet?

It is settled law in the United States that law enforcement agencies cannot force you to unlock a device using a pin/pattern code (legally: "something you know") but *can* force you to unlock using your fingerprint ("something you have").

So, I guess the same would apply to your face? A cop could simply turn your device on and point it at your face, no?

Don't get me wrong - I don't have reason to be concerned about such things, but some people do...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Having said that, I noticed a few days ago that facial recognition is now available on my Pixel XL with Android Oreo.

I just set it up and can say that it quickly (almost too quickly) unlocks my phone both when I am wearing my glasses and when not. It does not unlock the phone when pointed at a wall decoration, a photo, or even myself when looking directly into a mirror.

The downside is that after tapping the power button, I have to swipe up in the usual "unlock" motion. Then, if it recognizes my face, it takes me directly to the home screen; if it does not, it pops the keyboard or pattern unlock screen as appropriate. The simple fact that I have to use the power button *and* swipe up amounts to two extra steps compared to when using fingerprint unlock (which powers on and unlocks instantly simply by picking up the phone with my finger properly located on the rear sensor).

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
It is settled law in the United States that law enforcement agencies cannot force you to unlock a device using a pin/pattern code (legally: "something you know") but *can* force you to unlock using your fingerprint ("something you have").

So, I guess the same would apply to your face? A cop could simply turn your device on and point it at your face, no?

Don't get me wrong - I don't have reason to be concerned about such things, but some people do...

Really? I didnt know about that. In fact I never though about someone forcing you to unlock your device. Mine is working well on G6, and it doesnt takes me to home screen but ill keep using fingerprint instead.

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Y you have mini screen aswell and gaming optimization.. Facial recognition, some people said that it can be fooled by replacing your face with your photo.. So idk, it's useless and pointless to me.. I mean like you have pattern lock with pin, knock code, drawing, fingerprint.. Just idk don't see the purpose of it or need to use it... I use fingerprint and i love that and don't need anything else at all...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

An interesting notion, for sure...

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

That's why you use the wrong finger and force the password to come up.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Y you have mini screen aswell and gaming optimization.. Facial recognition, some people said that it can be fooled by replacing your face with your photo.. So idk, it's useless and pointless to me.. I mean like you have pattern lock with pin, knock code, drawing, fingerprint.. Just idk don't see the purpose of it or need to use it... I use fingerprint and i love that and don't need anything else at all...

mini screen? how do I use that?

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
At bottom of screen the settings...
When u enable it u use it by swiping down the capacitive virtual buttons...
f5c9ecc9c6c8f9477b802b216d60bf4a.jpg

Then u get this mini crap 😂

501a3bbde3d73ceea38b0c452bd04c50.jpg

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I wonder if it can still recognize you if you're making faces. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15