09-18-2017 02:51 PM
56 123
tools
    Mod Note: please keep the discussion civil and on topic. Thank you.
    09-12-2017 06:15 AM
    I've never had to use insurance to get a replacement. I was going to opt out when I got the G6, but the salesman at Verizon talked me into a good deal. It does stink that we pay money each month then have to pay a deductible to get it fixed. Glad you are getting it replaced. Working with insurance companies is not fun at all. My car is in the shop due to someone hitting it while parked. Still took his insurance company two weeks before my collision shop started working on it. It took multiple calls and emails to even get the process started. Luckily we have a rental paid for in full by his insurance company.
    Jeremiah Bonds and shaimere like this.
    09-12-2017 10:43 AM
    It's no different here in the UK either. I don't bother with mobile phone insurance anymore, I just find it to be a rip off. The fact that most of the companies here also send you a refurbished replacement, I'd rather just use the money I'm saving from not paying insurance to purchase another handset if I happen to break mine.
    That's my position on all types of insurance. lol With T-Mobile they make it seem like you NEED it, but it's built into our JUMP, which is what we use to upgrade.. so I guess they make it multifaceted.
    shaimere likes this.
    09-12-2017 12:14 PM
    That's my position on all types of insurance. lol With T-Mobile they make it seem like you NEED it, but it's built into our JUMP, which is what we use to upgrade.. so I guess they make it multifaceted.
    Only on the older Jump programs. Newer ones don't have insurance included.
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    09-12-2017 09:23 PM
    Only on the older Jump programs. Newer ones don't have insurance included.
    Good thing I still have the old one... Actually, my wife just got on JUMP finally, and it does have the insurance included.
    shaimere likes this.
    09-12-2017 09:25 PM
    It's no different here in the UK either. I don't bother with mobile phone insurance anymore, I just find it to be a rip off. The fact that most of the companies here also send you a refurbished replacement, I'd rather just use the money I'm saving from not paying insurance to purchase another handset if I happen to break mine.
    To be fair, MOST warranty terms do specify that should you need a replacement, the company might send a tested, refurbished unit. No different than insurance companies.

However, for newer phones, should something like this happen within the first couple of months from release, chances of getting a refurb are VERY slim.
    Laura Knotek and shaimere like this.
    09-12-2017 09:26 PM
    Update: ups was supposed to deliver my phone today but theres a certain delivery guy for our neighborhood who doesnt knock and just leaves the notes on the door stating which acesspoint to pick the package up at. It hasnt arrived at the acesspoint yet so hopefully they'll redeliver it tomorrow or i can pick it up tomorrow
    09-12-2017 11:14 PM
    Update: ups was supposed to deliver my phone today but theres a certain delivery guy for our neighborhood who doesnt knock and just leaves the notes on the door stating which acesspoint to pick the package up at. It hasnt arrived at the acesspoint yet so hopefully they'll redeliver it tomorrow or i can pick it up tomorrow
    UPS fudged up my TWO deliveries (the one directly from Samsung and the one coming from TMo), even though they specifically said 'Leave at Management office'. I'm starting to think it's just the driver's excuse not to deliver and just leave at the UPS access point. Grrr... Just because I'm traveling and I knew I wasn't gonna get the phone in my hands until I return anyway is why I'm not that mad.
    shaimere likes this.
    09-12-2017 11:48 PM
    UPS fudged up my TWO deliveries (the one directly from Samsung and the one coming from TMo), even though they specifically said 'Leave at Management office'. I'm starting to think it's just the driver's excuse not to deliver and just leave at the UPS access point. Grrr... Just because I'm traveling and I knew I wasn't gonna get the phone in my hands until I return anyway is why I'm not that mad.
    Yeah the drivers need to be retrained or something but at least the accesspoint i have to go to is 24 hrs
    09-13-2017 02:03 AM
    Hopefully it comes tomorrow!
    shaimere likes this.
    09-13-2017 07:31 AM
    To be fair, MOST warranty terms do specify that should you need a replacement, the company might send a tested, refurbished unit. No different than insurance companies.

However, for newer phones, should something like this happen within the first couple of months from release, chances of getting a refurb are VERY slim.
    Yes that is a good point. I'm not sure how long it takes for refurbs to enter the supply chain though. Don't get me wrong some refurbs can be excellent (Apple for example), but I've also had some very poor examples. Personally though I would still rather take my chance, I understand that option isn't for everyone though.

I hope the OP receives a replacement they are happy with.
    shaimere likes this.
    09-13-2017 12:26 PM
    Deductibles used to be reasonable. They have doubled in the last few years.
    shaimere and Morty2264 like this.
    09-13-2017 02:46 PM
    Yeah, insurance is best when it is over a large pool of people for something that is unlikely to happen but would be catastrophically expensive if it did. Because the insurance company makes a profit for the service of managing the pool of money.

Insurance is like gambling. The money is all coming from the customer, some of that money is going to the customers, and the house always wins in the long game.

There are many things worth insuring. I don't believe phones are one of them in general. The population-to-claim ratio is too low will generally make it less cost effective than just "find a used something that works on Swappa"
    nathdogg1985 and shaimere like this.
    09-13-2017 03:13 PM
    Deductibles used to be reasonable. They have doubled in the last few years.
    Besides "profit margin for the insurance company," which is legit, there are two valid reasons for that - first, what has the price of phones done in the same few years? Second, abuse.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but... in the days of low deductibles and "no questions asked" exchanges with new, I knew several people who would swap out their phone near the end of the contract so they had a brand new phone with better resale value. They'd just make a claim for a cracked screen, wait for the replacement phone to arrive, and make sure to crack the screen on their old one before putting it in the return box.

Enough people do that kind of thing and it completely throws off the actuarial tables, and basically means that for every 10% of people who do it, the entire customer base has to pay 10% of the cost of a brand new phone each over the life of the plan just to cover that abuse.
    09-13-2017 03:23 PM
    Yes that is a good point. I'm not sure how long it takes for refurbs to enter the supply chain though. Don't get me wrong some refurbs can be excellent (Apple for example), but I've also had some very poor examples. Personally though I would still rather take my chance, I understand that option isn't for everyone though.

I hope the OP receives a replacement they are happy with.
    So far so good with my replacement
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-13-2017 11:36 PM
    Yeah, insurance is best when it is over a large pool of people for something that is unlikely to happen but would be catastrophically expensive if it did. Because the insurance company makes a profit for the service of managing the pool of money.

Insurance is like gambling. The money is all coming from the customer, some of that money is going to the customers, and the house always wins in the long game.

There are many things worth insuring. I don't believe phones are one of them in general. The population-to-claim ratio is too low will generally make it less cost effective than just "find a used something that works on Swappa"
    I'll be using swappa for now on
    09-13-2017 11:37 PM
    Update: ended up having to go to the access point to pick up the phone since the ups delivery driver didnt want to deliver it to my door again smh. But the activation process was smooth. I set up the device using lg smart switch ONLY because i had just did a factory reset on old device so it wasnt much to switch over. Just the apps i use for school and my calendar. I charged the battery to 100% and battery life has been good so far. Took it off the charger at 730 and its at 86% at 1240am. Hopefully I'll get better battery life on this one. But it is a refurbished device but you honestly cant tell so, so far so good.
    09-13-2017 11:42 PM
    Update: ended up having to go to the access point to pick up the phone since the ups delivery driver didnt want to deliver it to my door again smh. But the activation process was smooth. I set up the device using lg smart switch ONLY because i had just did a factory reset on old device so it wasnt much to switch over. Just the apps i use for school and my calendar. I charged the battery to 100% and battery life has been good so far. Took it off the charger at 730 and its at 86% at 1240am. Hopefully I'll get better battery life on this one. But it is a refurbished device but you honestly cant tell so, so far so good.
    May the sailing be smooth and the phone awesome from this point forward!
    shaimere likes this.
    09-14-2017 07:19 AM
    So glad you got it and that things are going well with it so far! Keep us posted!
    shaimere likes this.
    09-14-2017 07:53 AM
    May the sailing be smooth and the phone awesome from this point forward!
    Thanks
    09-14-2017 01:42 PM
    So glad you got it and that things are going well with it so far! Keep us posted!
    Thanks and i will
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-14-2017 01:43 PM
    Did you get a brand new one?
    09-14-2017 08:55 PM
    Did you get a brand new one?
    No, refurbished came in a sprint box
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-14-2017 09:00 PM
    No, refurbished came in a sprint box
    It was processed through Asurion.. Correct?
    09-17-2017 12:29 AM
    It was processed through Asurion.. Correct?
    Yes
    09-17-2017 08:18 AM
56 123