I'm upset that I broke my LG G6 by dropping it

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Obviously the terms don't differ anymore. The TEF terms change everytime you buy a new device. While your old agreements may have stated free replacements for accidental damage. The new ones don't state that and when you get your lovely paper work in the mail from assurion it also states that in their terms as well. How else does the insurance company make money, $200 deductibles on top of charging you 156 a year to have it on your phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not to pour salt on the open wound, but I only had to pay 75 bucks as the deductible when T-Mo/Assurance replaced my cracked S7E. Overnight shipping, no questions asked, charged deductible, shipped that day, arrived next morning, have 14 days to return damaged phone. Easy-peasy.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Obviously the terms don't differ anymore. The TEF terms change everytime you buy a new device. While your old agreements may have stated free replacements for accidental damage. The new ones don't state that and when you get your lovely paper work in the mail from assurion it also states that in their terms as well. How else does the insurance company make money, $200 deductibles on top of charging you 156 a year to have it on your phone.
First , your sarcasm is not needed nor wanted. Second, TEP terms DO NOT change everytime you buy a new device. Third paying the deductible for a replacement phone was never the issue or will it ever be for me. Next time take the time to read what i wrote. Lastly, since sprint has been using asurion we have never recieved anything from them in the mail regarding their terms and conditions, if you did good for you. If you took the time to read, you wouldve known that my issue was never with asurion. Its with sprints reps not being on the same page when it comes to whats covered and whats not. If i actually felt the need to show you emails, dms and chats that show that i was told that my phone would be replaced for free even with it being cracked, your comment would be irrevelant. I know what i was TOLD and i know what was changed when i was processing my claim. At the end of the day, I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH PAYING THE DEDUCTIBLE.. I even opted to pay more than i wouldve to get it fixed.
Now if you'll excused me, i have to continue waiting excitedly for my replacement device. Have a good night.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Not to pour salt on the open wound, but I only had to pay 75 bucks as the deductible when T-Mo/Assurance replaced my cracked S7E. Overnight shipping, no questions asked, charged deductible, shipped that day, arrived next morning, have 14 days to return damaged phone. Easy-peasy.
Yeah the terms and deductibles are different for each carrier. I like asurion havent had any problems with them exvept sometimes when the reps say different things.

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, getting repairs or using your insurance typically NEVER goes as well as we think it would. I hate how we do insurance in this country.. It's the same for auto, home, or medical... Like I'm paying a number of dollars every month to have insurance but when something happens to my phone and I want to use it, I have to pay even more PLUS what I pay every month. Haha but anyway. I'm so glad you got it squared away.
It's no different here in the UK either. I don't bother with mobile phone insurance anymore, I just find it to be a rip off. The fact that most of the companies here also send you a refurbished replacement, I'd rather just use the money I'm saving from not paying insurance to purchase another handset if I happen to break mine.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I've never had to use insurance to get a replacement. I was going to opt out when I got the G6, but the salesman at Verizon talked me into a good deal. It does stink that we pay money each month then have to pay a deductible to get it fixed. Glad you are getting it replaced. Working with insurance companies is not fun at all. My car is in the shop due to someone hitting it while parked. Still took his insurance company two weeks before my collision shop started working on it. It took multiple calls and emails to even get the process started. Luckily we have a rental paid for in full by his insurance company.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It's no different here in the UK either. I don't bother with mobile phone insurance anymore, I just find it to be a rip off. The fact that most of the companies here also send you a refurbished replacement, I'd rather just use the money I'm saving from not paying insurance to purchase another handset if I happen to break mine.

That's my position on all types of insurance. lol With T-Mobile they make it seem like you NEED it, but it's built into our JUMP, which is what we use to upgrade.. so I guess they make it multifaceted.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's my position on all types of insurance. lol With T-Mobile they make it seem like you NEED it, but it's built into our JUMP, which is what we use to upgrade.. so I guess they make it multifaceted.

Only on the older Jump programs. Newer ones don't have insurance included.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

To be fair, MOST warranty terms do specify that should you need a replacement, the company might send a tested, refurbished unit. No different than insurance companies.

However, for newer phones, should something like this happen within the first couple of months from release, chances of getting a refurb are VERY slim.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Update: ups was supposed to deliver my phone today but theres a certain delivery guy for our neighborhood who doesnt knock and just leaves the notes on the door stating which acesspoint to pick the package up at. It hasnt arrived at the acesspoint yet so hopefully they'll redeliver it tomorrow or i can pick it up tomorrow

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Update: ups was supposed to deliver my phone today but theres a certain delivery guy for our neighborhood who doesnt knock and just leaves the notes on the door stating which acesspoint to pick the package up at. It hasnt arrived at the acesspoint yet so hopefully they'll redeliver it tomorrow or i can pick it up tomorrow

UPS fudged up my TWO deliveries (the one directly from Samsung and the one coming from TMo), even though they specifically said 'Leave at Management office'. I'm starting to think it's just the driver's excuse not to deliver and just leave at the UPS access point. Grrr... Just because I'm traveling and I knew I wasn't gonna get the phone in my hands until I return anyway is why I'm not that mad.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
UPS fudged up my TWO deliveries (the one directly from Samsung and the one coming from TMo), even though they specifically said 'Leave at Management office'. I'm starting to think it's just the driver's excuse not to deliver and just leave at the UPS access point. Grrr... Just because I'm traveling and I knew I wasn't gonna get the phone in my hands until I return anyway is why I'm not that mad.
Yeah the drivers need to be retrained or something but at least the accesspoint i have to go to is 24 hrs

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully it comes tomorrow!

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
To be fair, MOST warranty terms do specify that should you need a replacement, the company might send a tested, refurbished unit. No different than insurance companies.

However, for newer phones, should something like this happen within the first couple of months from release, chances of getting a refurb are VERY slim.
Yes that is a good point. I'm not sure how long it takes for refurbs to enter the supply chain though. Don't get me wrong some refurbs can be excellent (Apple for example), but I've also had some very poor examples. Personally though I would still rather take my chance, I understand that option isn't for everyone though.

I hope the OP receives a replacement they are happy with.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, insurance is best when it is over a large pool of people for something that is unlikely to happen but would be catastrophically expensive if it did. Because the insurance company makes a profit for the service of managing the pool of money.

Insurance is like gambling. The money is all coming from the customer, some of that money is going to the customers, and the house always wins in the long game.

There are many things worth insuring. I don't believe phones are one of them in general. The population-to-claim ratio is too low will generally make it less cost effective than just "find a used something that works on Swappa"

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Deductibles used to be reasonable. They have doubled in the last few years.

Besides "profit margin for the insurance company," which is legit, there are two valid reasons for that - first, what has the price of phones done in the same few years? Second, abuse.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but... in the days of low deductibles and "no questions asked" exchanges with new, I knew several people who would swap out their phone near the end of the contract so they had a brand new phone with better resale value. They'd just make a claim for a cracked screen, wait for the replacement phone to arrive, and make sure to crack the screen on their old one before putting it in the return box.

Enough people do that kind of thing and it completely throws off the actuarial tables, and basically means that for every 10% of people who do it, the entire customer base has to pay 10% of the cost of a brand new phone each over the life of the plan just to cover that abuse.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Yes that is a good point. I'm not sure how long it takes for refurbs to enter the supply chain though. Don't get me wrong some refurbs can be excellent (Apple for example), but I've also had some very poor examples. Personally though I would still rather take my chance, I understand that option isn't for everyone though.

I hope the OP receives a replacement they are happy with.
So far so good with my replacement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12