New G6 owner

FirminK

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, Im Firmin. Im a graphic designer and recently bought G6 after I was disappointed with Oneplus3T slow auto fokus on camera. After that I took P10 but that one had really great camera. Pics were a bit less saturated and low light photos werent great but HDR was doing ok and details are amazing. The problem was the lack of oleophobic coating on the screen (very smudgy and dirty screen), small screen, screen dimming issue and phone was getting hot rather fast. I was reading alot about G6 and its wide angle feature which I really like now. The screen is fantastic, screen to bodio ratio in G6 is great and battery is much better than oneplus 3t and P10. Also it feels more sturdy. Double tap to wake/sleep is nice feature and always on screen is handy but kinda hard to read in really sunny day.
Overall Im very happy with the G6 (also the sound from video is amazing and OIS is doing a better job than in P10).
The problem I have with the G6s camera is tendency to oversharpen and overcontrast some picures. The faces of my kids are occasionaly posterized when I slightly zoom my pics, even noticable on my phone (but after zoom applied). It seams that LG is doing some heavy post processing on the images. I was reading that was fixed in one of the updates but it seams its not. Otherwise, colors are accurate and there are details on the pics but randomly it gets smudgy, sketchy and faces are slightly posterized. Why that wasnt fixed? That is a software issue right? I can take shots in raw but that shouldnt be a solution, specially for average users. Should I go fully manual or do you have any advice? I feel like P10 was getting more light into the lens and much less postsaturation with just a slightly less correct colors.

Nuuklear

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the G6.

Sadly i just have the same Problem. I just wan't to bring the phone back and buy another but then i start to use manual mode and sometimes the google camera app with HDR+ (somebody ported it with HDR+ Functionality to the G6). And now: Im fine with the Quality. The Wideangel Shots are just awesome and no other phone can give me this feature. But anyways: i still hope they will give us a "fix" with the 8.0 Oreo Update later this year.

But don't forget, we are limited with the small sensors in smartphones. Photography just takes you to another level when you use a full format sensor on a DSLR Camera.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! So glad you are liking the G6! Yes, the double-tap-to-wake feature is so amazing! And you can always adjust your brightness settings with your AOD settings section.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The camera problems you've described seem to be quite common among G6 owners. The Gcam port takes much better quality pics. Especially in low light. You can find it here https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3655374
I'm currently using v3.5 and it's now my go to camera app, with the exception of wide angle of course. V3.6 didn't work so well for me so if you do try it, start with v3.5

FirminK

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome. The "posterizing" effect is visible only when zooming pics. Sometimes I notice that even when just looking at the pic on my PC. But its there and shouldnt be at least if we take shots on a sunny bright day. I still didnt test the ported pixel HDR+ app on portraits but I will. For now I will put the full size pics for download here (roses in rain). I took 4 shots. 2 with G6 cam (manual and auto with HDR), one with open cam app and one with ported Pixel cam HDR+ (nexus 5 HDR in settings as suggested in readme) v3.5. In most cases the shots with G6 looks nice even with stock camera app. Portraits are also great but sometimes I notice that "posterizing" effect on faces when they are not closer but 5m + from the camera. I will definitely test such portraits with multiply shots with Pixel cam HDR+.
Here is the link for the shots mentioned above.
Its a closeup with "bokeh" like effect so I need to test all 3 camera apps with some "everyday" shots like kids playing with cat, nature, landscape etc...

FirminK

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Wel well, it seams that they fixed postprocessing in V30.
Mercifully, LG has also pared back the gratuitous oversharpening seen in the G6 and many earlier cameras, which means more fine detail is preserved with fewer artifacts.

And there is a possibility to port V30 cam app into the LG G6...some features wont work but I wonder if the posterizing effect will gone...below is the info...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vU2YIj-31Y

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513