You can see the sensor glow red especially when you look at the phone in the dark.
    09-25-2017 08:36 PM
    Welcome to Android Central. Yes, otherwise it couldn't do its job
    09-25-2017 09:31 PM
    Thank you for that. I'm just worried since I looked at other phones' sensors and theirs seems to be turned off when not in use.
    09-26-2017 02:54 AM
    It seems to me that the proximity sensor on other phones is always on too, although I suppose it is possible that some phones only activate it "sometimes". On the G6, at a minimum if you have the AOD enabled, the proximity sensor is being used in order to blank the display when the phone is in your pocket, so it would always be on as long as the screen is locked if you have AOD enabled.

Whether or not you see a visible light from it seems to vary (depending on your eyes and your phone). Pretty sure these use infrared, but most IR LED's in this application will be very close to the visible range, with a broad enough spectrum to be visible to some people (but possibly some manufacturing variance as well).
    09-26-2017 07:44 AM
    I'm having this issue too. It seems the proximity sensor is stuck "on." I did a test using Tasker and it sees the sensor turn on (when I cover it with my finger) but it won't turn off when I uncover the sensor.

I contacted LG and they seem to think that doing a FDR is the answer to everything. I told them that I did a search for this issue and other are experiencing this and it could be a software problem. They still want me to do a FDR.
    10-24-2017 02:04 PM
    I'm having this issue too. It seems the proximity sensor is stuck "on." I did a test using Tasker and it sees the sensor turn on (when I cover it with my finger) but it won't turn off when I uncover the sensor.
    You mean once you cover it with your finger it registers 'near' proximity, but that never goes away? That's a little different than what this post is talking about, which is just that the sensor is always or very often measuring proximity.

Just to double-check your method of testing, you can try another app that can show you what your sensors are measuring - I checked mine with Elixir.
    10-24-2017 02:46 PM
    I'm sorry. This came up when I Googled this issue. I'll start a new thread for this. Thank you.
    10-24-2017 03:09 PM