Why is my battery life so low on the LG G6?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Same here. I fixed it and get 12+ hours with moderate use. Hibernation Manager app. Everytime you put your phone to sleep (lock it) it hibernates apps you select (I select everything except ones I want constant updates from like Facebook etc) and it slows my CPU to 300MHZ. Why does my CPU need to be at max in my pocket anyways? You can set it to turn off Bluetooth wifi and Sync also... No thanks. Finally... Use AutoSync for keeping your phone from syncing 24hrs. Email etc. I set mine to 15min meaning every 15min of sync being suspended it'll Sync for 3min and then turn off for 15min again. These apps are Flexible and VERY light. None of these crap apps like Greenify... They're complicated and have too many options. The apps I stated do only few things... What you want them too. Been a Couple weeks with Always-On Display on brighter setting always on and I unplug at 6am and have 30% roughly at 10pm. Usage varies but this IS the fix. Even if you don't mess with AutoSync because your a die-hard social app person.. The Hibernation Manager works wonders.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I have had battery drain issues pop up out of nowhere on the G6. I resolved the issue by uninstalling apps that tend to push lots of notifications, like fantasy football apps for instance. The battery life improvement was amazing.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone
Just got the G6 a month ago. Wonderful camera and great specs for the price.
When I leave home at 7:40 am I have to enable power saving and I end up at 3pm with 40%.

If I don't enable power saving then it dies at around 2:40pm. What is going on!
You need to describe how much you use the phone to give us a better idea of what's going on

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
new setup. turned off Location toggle (since when I go to use navigation, it starts GPS quickly by asking me to click OK) and I use ForceDoze app which makes doze start the second you turn off your screen. need to make sure you select apps you want to ignore optimizations for otherwise the app will be disabled when screen is off. messaging app, social apps you can't live without. email... whatever. then I installed Smart WiFi Toggle. this is somewhat complex to setup but when I leave my wifi it turns off my wifi after a specified amount of time and will turn on every now and then to see if wifi is available and if not turns back off. just today my phone said I had 175 hrs of battery left. of course when screen is on it uses juice but when off uses virtually nothing. 0.6% per hour. works best when I restart the phone every morning too. usually it'll say 40+ hours of battery. depends what apps you're using that day.
EDIT: I use Fast Reboot now to do a reboot without restarting the phone everytime I lock the phone. After using some apps and closing them they tend to keep services on after. This reboot app clears those services and maintains battery performance.
EDIT 2: So from 6am to 6pm... my battery is at 80% with moderate usage. Not bad if u ask me. My phone doesn't go below 50% under even heavy usage anymore. It's a miracle. I hope this helps a lot of folks out there.

Last edited:

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
new setup. turned off Location toggle (since when I go to use navigation, it starts GPS quickly by asking me to click OK) and I use ForceDoze app which makes doze start the second you turn off your screen. need to make sure you select apps you want to ignore optimizations for otherwise the app will be disabled when screen is off. messaging app, social apps you can't live without. email... whatever. then I installed Smart WiFi Toggle. this is somewhat complex to setup but when I leave my wifi it turns off my wifi after a specified amount of time and will turn on every now and then to see if wifi is available and if not turns back off. just today my phone said I had 175 hrs of battery left. of course when screen is on it uses juice but when off uses virtually nothing. 0.6% per hour. works best when I restart the phone every morning too. usually it'll say 40+ hours of battery. depends what apps you're using that day.
EDIT: I use Fast Reboot now to do a reboot without restarting the phone everytime I lock the phone. After using some apps and closing them they tend to keep services on after. This reboot app clears those services and maintains battery performance.
EDIT 2: So from 6am to 6pm... my battery is at 80% with moderate usage. Not bad if u ask me. My phone doesn't go below 50% under even heavy usage anymore. It's a miracle. I hope this helps a lot of folks out there.
Very very tempted to try this, but I use location a lot

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, power-intensive apps like Facebook and Facebook Messenger really mess with your battery life, as they are constantly running in the background. I've turned off my Facebook notifications (more or less by accident LOOL); and I've noticed a difference on my phone. The app still probably affects battery life but at least the screen won't wake with notifications!

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm at 80% at 11hrs right now. Location makes a huge difference. You know what. Tomorrow I'll use location and see what the difference is. ForceDoze is a godsend too. Works so well. And pairs with Fast Reboot perfectly. They both do everything in the background. You need to understand that apps that aren't whitelisted WILL be shut down during screen off. They'll get no Internet and no push notifications. Only during Doze "maintenance" periods. Which is every couple hours. Do your research and read instructions.

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
As promised... I went all day with location ON. Didn't use the phone much but after 12hrs I'm at 80% right now. So I guess if you follow my setup and leave location ON you'll be all set.

Keep in mind... I have Low Power option at the bottom of the Locations settings page. And High Accuracy mode. ALSO.. In the location settings... click the three dots on the top right and click scanning. Turn OFF scanning for WiFi and Bluetooth. Otherwise those will scan whether BT or WiFi is off or on.

Hope this helps guys!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As promised... I went all day with location ON. Didn't use the phone much but after 12hrs I'm at 80% right now. So I guess if you follow my setup and leave location ON you'll be all set.

Keep in mind... I have Low Power option at the bottom of the Locations settings page. And High Accuracy mode. ALSO.. In the location settings... click the three dots on the top right and click scanning. Turn OFF scanning for WiFi and Bluetooth. Otherwise those will scan whether BT or WiFi is off or on.

Hope this helps guys!

Glad your battery life has improved!

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
been using pretty relentlessly today with ForceDoze and AutoSync set to hourly and Fast Reboot set to reboot services every time I lock the screen... it's been 9 hrs and I'm at 62%. while screen is on "Phone Idle" eats most of the battery. still can't figure that out. as well as the screen which is sad... kinda need the screen to use the phone. otherwise I'm happy since I don't stare at my phone all day usually... except for today which I have been... but if I turn my screen off now it'll stay above 60% for hours. only when the screen is on does it drain. this I think is the best we're going to get being stuck on 7.0

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
"Phone idle" usae is a common complaint with this phone - I think it just comes down to Android lumping overhead OS power usage into this category rather than it being a single thing.

I added ForceDoze to my arsenal but it hasn't made any difference for me. I had already disabled all the services I didn't think I needed and I'd been using 'brevent' to make sure apps didn't run with the screen off if I didn't want them to. So without root I'm not sure there's anything else I can do. Still, making it to bedtime with 50%+ remaining is plenty.

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I agree they use Phone Idle as a general category. This is services and such in the background. This is where Fast Reboot comes into play and saves me battery. Because I noticed as I use apps and close them, even with ForceDoze and screen off it would deplete faster. My guess was services stayed on in the background. Fast Reboot works each time I lock so it resets all the services and it worked. So each time I turn off screen it's like I'm restarting the phone. Yesterday I used the phone relentlessly all day. 6am to 11pm and had about 30% left which is amazing considering the usage. Without these apps I got 4-6hrs. So my setup works and I don't have root.

Fast Reboot - Reset every lock
ForceDoze - Stock settings not manual
AutoSync - Set to sync every hour
NO ROOT NEEDED.

This is with the following apps being ignored by Doze... (in battery usage there's an Apps that Ignore Optimizations page. BE SURE TO IGNORE THE APPS LIKE ForceDoze etc otherwise they won't work.)

Outlook
ForceDoze
AutoSync
Fast Reboot
Textra (txting app)
Calling
Network
WiFi Toggle (turns off WiFi when no connection available)

Basically any apps that you don't want to Doze aka Hibernate and you want to make sure you get constant notifications for...

If I leave the phone alone without using it says 175hrs left on battery. My typical daily light usage leaves me at 60-85% at bedtime.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree they use Phone Idle as a general category. This is services and such in the background. This is where Fast Reboot comes into play and saves me battery. Because I noticed as I use apps and close them, even with ForceDoze and screen off it would deplete faster. My guess was services stayed on in the background. Fast Reboot works each time I lock so it resets all the services and it worked. So each time I turn off screen it's like I'm restarting the phone. Yesterday I used the phone relentlessly all day. 6am to 11pm and had about 30% left which is amazing considering the usage. Without these apps I got 4-6hrs. So my setup works and I don't have root.

Fast Reboot - Reset every lock
ForceDoze - Stock settings not manual
AutoSync - Set to sync every hour
NO ROOT NEEDED.

This is with the following apps being ignored by Doze... (in battery usage there's an Apps that Ignore Optimizations page. BE SURE TO IGNORE THE APPS LIKE ForceDoze etc otherwise they won't work.)

Outlook
ForceDoze
AutoSync
Fast Reboot
Textra (txting app)
Calling
Network
WiFi Toggle (turns off WiFi when no connection available)

Basically any apps that you don't want to Doze aka Hibernate and you want to make sure you get constant notifications for...

If I leave the phone alone without using it says 175hrs left on battery. My typical daily light usage leaves me at 60-85% at bedtime.

This is good to know - thank you! But if you are ignoring the Textra app via Doze, does that mean you manually open your Textra app to get new messages?

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
ForceDoze (which simply makes Doze start immediately rather than hours later) Hibernates apps. This means that the apps that are not "Ignoring Optimizations" will go to sleep and will be blocked from using Internet etc.

By ignoring optimizations... you're telling Doze to simply not make these apps sleep. So for my examples... I'll continue to get email and text notifications etc. If you add FaceBook also to be ignored... it'll operate normally by continuing to push notifications and have access to Internet.

Now... this doesn't mean they'll never notify you. Doze every now and then... every couple hours or so will... will wake up all the apps and let them resume normal activities. This is called the Maintenence period. But it's temporary and Doze will activate itself shortly after.

Yes I've done my research. I'm a geek.

ksmithservices

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
To answer your question more simply, No. They operate normally when being ignored. But they will never be able to sleep if ignored. Which is fine for important apps you want to get the notifications for in real-time.