The battery life VS. the user experience. Should I keep my G6?

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys...

I was thinking about the battery life on my LG g6. I disable the "ok google" comand,the always on the screen, face unlock, widgets and other usefull stuff just to get a decente battery that can holds one day of not heavy use. So whats the point to have all this stuff but not having a decent battery? And I guess this happens with other smartphones too...
I dont know, its a bit frustrating... its only me to think like that? Should I keep my G6? wich smartphone I can have all of its features without concerning with battery?

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Whats wrong with your battery ? I mean sot ? What do you consider when u mean deceng battery ?

Face unlock, ok google, widgets are for me useless stuff...

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Whats wrong with your battery ? I mean sot ? What do you consider when u mean deceng battery ?

Face unlock, ok google, widgets are for me useless stuff...

Well.. for me too, thats why I disable it. But shouldnt a mid/top smartphone last at least one day with all its features? My battery used to be so good.. now I had to turn off notifications and all that I said up there. Im not the first person complaining about battery here in the foruns. I just wonder if those S8 and Pixels and essencials have the same issue.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it all really boils down to what you are satisfied with! If you are unhappy with your battery life and that is a really important factor for you when it comes to having a phone, then by all means, it is okay to switch!

There are a lot of phones with amazing battery life that you can consider! The Mate 10, Moto Z2 Play (combined with Moto mods would give you amazing battery longevity) and the Note 8 are some examples. Even the Moto Z Play from last year would help!

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Yeah i disabled 5-6 apps.. I have outlook, mymail and gmail, synced with 4 mails, whapp, tapatalk, chrome, word and excel, ted talks and netflix at full daily usage.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I think it all really boils down to what you are satisfied with! If you are unhappy with your battery life and that is a really important factor for you when it comes to having a phone, then by all means, it is okay to switch!

There are a lot of phones with amazing battery life that you can consider! The Mate 10, Moto Z2 Play (combined with Moto mods would give you amazing battery longevity) and the Note 8 are some examples. Even the Moto Z Play from last year would help!

Is not that im not happy.. I love the g6 camera and I wouldnt trade fot any of those. Maybe the Mate 10, but unfortunaly its not available on my country. I just wish my battery last longer.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Yeah i disabled 5-6 apps.. I have outlook, mymail and gmail, synced with 4 mails, whapp, tapatalk, chrome, word and excel, ted talks and netflix at full daily usage.

man.. lucky you. I run stock everything.. even the stock launcher =( and yet my battery is pretty disapointing.

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Im on stock aswell... Dont add any 3rd part apps and **** like that.. Honestly battery on g6 is one of my fav things on this phone. Though i would love to get rid of lots of oem apps.

Tim Hallinger

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

i've tested some different configurations with GPS, AOD, Synchronisations, Face Unlock, ... nothing made big differences in the battery lifetime. The battery lifetime is good but since i have the device, i recognize a higher standby drain.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing inherently wrong with the G6 battery and in 2017 you don't have to disable all the useful features of the phone to get good battery life. I have ok google, always-on display, bluetooth (connected to smartwatch), face unlock (the google version, not the new LG one we haven't gotten yet) all enabled and I have no complaints about battery life.

Badly-acting apps are the main reason for high battery drain. I don't know why, but web browsing with chrome takes a lot of power - makes my phone noticeably warm and drains the battery. Facebook is a known battery killer even if you do not use it heavily. I use "myfitnesspal" a couple times a day to log food and sometimes it shows up as one of the top battery users for unknown reasons. Those are all things that you would probably consider part of "light usage" that wouldn't think make much of a difference but they do, and taming or avoiding them makes a huge difference.

Unfortunately for whatever reason, the built-in capabilities for monitoring app power usage in Android have become increasingly limited over the past few versions, but we still have tools we can use (even without root) like better battery stats, gsam, wakelock detector to at least get some picture of what's going on (though it requires some advanced knowledge to use the adb command to give them access to the stats), and then some tools like lg package disabler, brevent, or greenify can help with the bad behavers.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I agree with your suggestions except for the Note 8. I have the Note 8, and while it's battery life is definitely better than the G6, it's not in the same league as the Mate 10 and the Moto.

FWIW, I tried out the V30 for a week, and it's battery life was very good, easily eclipsing my Note 8. It was a very difficult decision to keep the Note 8 and return the V30.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
There is nothing inherently wrong with the G6 battery and in 2017 you don't have to disable all the useful features of the phone to get good battery life. I have ok google, always-on display, bluetooth (connected to smartwatch), face unlock (the google version, not the new LG one we haven't gotten yet) all enabled and I have no complaints about battery life.

Badly-acting apps are the main reason for high battery drain. I don't know why, but web browsing with chrome takes a lot of power - makes my phone noticeably warm and drains the battery. Facebook is a known battery killer even if you do not use it heavily. I use "myfitnesspal" a couple times a day to log food and sometimes it shows up as one of the top battery users for unknown reasons. Those are all things that you would probably consider part of "light usage" that wouldn't think make much of a difference but they do, and taming or avoiding them makes a huge difference.

Unfortunately for whatever reason, the built-in capabilities for monitoring app power usage in Android have become increasingly limited over the past few versions, but we still have tools we can use (even without root) like better battery stats, gsam, wakelock detector to at least get some picture of what's going on (though it requires some advanced knowledge to use the adb command to give them access to the stats), and then some tools like lg package disabler, brevent, or greenify can help with the bad behavers.

So maybe I have I factory problem?

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully the stuff you have disabled will make a difference, but just blindly doing that may miss a real culprit, so make sure you grab better battery stats too, it is good to identify process usage, alarms, kernel wakelocks, and partial (app-requested) wakelocks. All of those can cause a misbehaving app to use more juice than it should.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol