Hi Everyone:

Amazon is offering some great prices on a network unlocked G6 ($399) and G6+ ($499 - has the quad DAC and 128GB).

These are for phones that have Amazon apps built in as bloatware, and also have ads on the lockscreen. Have any of you tried one of these?

If so, how much do the ads get in the way?

Thanks
    11-09-2017 09:19 AM
    Bump
    11-10-2017 09:04 AM
    I do not have personal experience with the phone, but I do have a kindle with lock screen ads. On the Kindle, with no fingerprint unlock, you do see the ad long enough to do whatever you have to do to unlock it after turning on the screen (and it's really not a big deal, not like it's a video or has sound). But on my regular old non-Amazon G6, I hardly ever see the lock screen at all because of the fingerprint unlock (the screen goes right from "off" to "unlocked" as long as fingerprint unlock is working).

I read on another forum that this is the same thing that happens on the Amazon G6. It has an ad widget on the desktop that sounded like it can be removed like any other widget (or just use a 3rd party launcher). And you can pay $100 to completely remove the ads, a little more expensive than the kindles I think.

The bootloader is locked so you would have to forget about custom roms and most likely rooting as well. But it sounds like it supports all the carriers' VoLTE and wifi calling features which is a bonus compared to the other non-carrier-specific models.
    torbach1 likes this.
    11-10-2017 01:17 PM
    Thanks!
    11-10-2017 01:17 PM
    One detail I have not ascertained is whether the Amazon phones have the google play store. The kindle fire does not, and I know on the 1st generation fire I had to root it in order to install it... I don't remember if I had to root the newer one or if the play store could just be installed like any other app.

I think with the Fire you could make the case that most customers don't necessarily want it as a general purpose tablet and thus being limited to the Amazon ecosystem is not a big deal. Not sure it would go over well on a phone so I would be surprised if they actually did not have the play store, but I wouldn't make the assumption.
    11-11-2017 11:22 AM
    For what it's worth, back in the day, I got the Optimus G Pro with the Amazon stuff on there (which I hadn't realized was jive bloatware, lol) and it still had the Play Store on it.
    11-11-2017 04:35 PM
    Hi Everyone:

Amazon is offering some great prices on a network unlocked G6 ($399) and G6+ ($499 - has the quad DAC and 128GB).

These are for phones that have Amazon apps built in as bloatware, and also have ads on the lockscreen. Have any of you tried one of these?

If so, how much do the ads get in the way?

Thanks
    I have a V10, nothing wrong with it but but the G6+ with DAC might be a pretty compelling upgrade for those of us that like the Amazon ecosystem.

I like AWS stuff and am a Prime member, but don't use or need Alexa. DAC has always been essential, and the V30 IMO isn't a good value at this time. Waiting for Black Friday G6+ deal - if they can shave off $100 I'm in!
    torbach1 likes this.
    11-13-2017 11:21 AM
    Right now the G6+ is at the top of my list. I think I can take the ads in exchange for the savings. I haven't seen anything about the play store not being available and no reason to think it wouldn't be. . Kindle fires don't have play store either way you purchase it.
    11-16-2017 09:56 PM
    Right now the G6+ is at the top of my list. I think I can take the ads in exchange for the savings. I haven't seen anything about the play store not being available and no reason to think it wouldn't be. . Kindle fires don't have play store either way you purchase it.
    Also I have found that since the fingerprint sensor is so good, I rarely see the lock screen anyway. If you use your finger print sensor like me, you probably will barely see the ads.
    torbach1 likes this.
    11-16-2017 10:14 PM