Buyer's remorse and the LG G6...LG G6 Edition

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
To quote another user:

If you post a topic in a forum, it'll be biased towards that forum.

Well, I want the LG G6 crowd's bias now.

From the original thread https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl/848108-buyers-remorse-lg-g6.html

Before the flash sale ended, I upgraded to the LG G6 on Verizon. The effective price per month is $14, down from the $28 a month it is financed for.

I'm kind of regretting the purchase and perhaps thinking I would have been happier if I put down the money for a Pixel 2 instead....

But now I'll phrase it like so

What drew you to the LG G6 to begin with? What is keeping you on the LG G6 versus other phones?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Build Quality
Size - Easy to use with one hand.
Fast
It's the Honda Accord of phones, good at everything, not exceptional at one thing.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Assuming that this post is for everyone and worldwide... im from Brazil, so no phones linked to carriers.. and no HTC, Pixel, Essential, Huawei and other brands.. we just have Apple, Motorola, Sansung and LG... I wanted a flagship phone, and had to chose between this.. I hate apple, S8 curved display annoys me and Im tired of using Motorola... I wanted something diferent, so I picked the G6. So far so good. No regrets...

Of course I could import and buy another phone overseas, but Id not have the two year warranty and free SD card, free LG bluetoth phone, free home speakers.. so, for me it was a sweet deal! No regrets!

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
iam loving my G6 1 of the best phones of 2017...using since april...zero issues...i have indian version 64gb with hifi dac...
just got new update today

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I picked the G6 because of the half-price deal (was considering the GS8 with the fantastic trade-in program too but I am very happy I did not attempt that, after hearing of some peoples' experiences). There was just no comparison with other phones in that price range. They all would leave out something I would like to have (fingerprint sensor, decent camera, sd card, US warranty, and so on).

The only thing I really feel disappointed in is the 32GB storage. In 2017 I'd have expected 64GB in a phone that wants to be considered a flagship. But on the priority list, with SD card support, it's low.

Yeah I could have a better phone costing twice as much, and I could have a better car costing twice as much too. The half-price G6 just hit a sweet spot for me.

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
The G6 hits my budget sweet spot as well. I cannot say I would have found another device in this price range that is comparable beyond the spec sheet. The Zenfone V (Verizon, $240 outright) has the SD 820 and an AMOLED screen but it's remarkably worse in nearly every category. I was glad when Verizon told me they would buyout the remainder of the contract and essentially give me the phone for free which allowed me to upgrade.

The flash sale on the G6 had me all but sold. I had played around with a G6 before so I knew what I was getting into for the most part. That was before the Pixel 2 came out.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I really feel disappointed in is the 32GB storage. In 2017 I'd have expected 64GB in a phone that wants to be considered a flagship.
If you look at various versions of most model phones, you'll find that the ones with 64GB internal storage come with 32GB in the US version. We're always the last to get anything, and it's cut down. (And cut up, like locked bootloaders on Samsung phones for AT&T and Verizon.)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Though I do not have the LG G6, I've been eyeing one for months; but, as of now anyway, I'm ultimately leaning in another direction for my next phone. But, that isn't to say that I find anything *wrong* with the G6. It's just that there are some hardware and some software that I prefer that the G6 doesn't have.

For example, I really want my next phone to have a front-facing fingerprint scanner; which the G6 doesn't have. Also, I want a phone with an LED notification light; whereas the G6 has AOD (which would have been fun to try).

Again, these are just little nit-picky things that I prefer; and not glaring wrongs against the phone. It's a great choice, and who knows, maybe I'll pick one up if those above needs change over time. I'm also really interested in what LG does with the G7.

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Though I do not have the LG G6, I've been eyeing one for months; but, as of now anyway, I'm ultimately leaning in another direction for my next phone. But, that isn't to say that I find anything *wrong* with the G6. It's just that there are some hardware and some software that I prefer that the G6 doesn't have.

For example, I really want my next phone to have a front-facing fingerprint scanner; which the G6 doesn't have. Also, I want a phone with an LED notification light; whereas the G6 has AOD (which would have been fun to try).

Again, these are just little nit-picky things that I prefer; and not glaring wrongs against the phone. It's a great choice, and who knows, maybe I'll pick one up if those above needs change over time. I'm also really interested in what LG does with the G7.

Like you, I preferred a front facing fingerprint sensor. Both the G6 and Pixel 2 have their sensors on the backside. Both have AOD, but personally I'd prefer a multi-color LED that I could customize based on the application. A device that checked both of those boxes for me was the Zenfone V, but boy was it ever a dud.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I preferred a front facing fingerprint sensor. Both the G6 and Pixel 2 have their sensors on the backside. Both have AOD, but personally I'd prefer a multi-color LED that I could customize based on the application. A device that checked both of those boxes for me was the Zenfone V, but boy was it ever a dud.

Yes! And that's why I sadly has to pass on the Pixel 2 and ultimately the G6. The Huawei P10 has the LED and a front FPS, so I'm really leaning towards that. The HTC U11 is also really good but it's too expensive for me! Lool.

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
At the end of the day, for me, it comes down to a device's ability to carry out basic phone functions (voice calls and text messaging) and the camera. The camera on the smartphone I use has always been a huge deciding factor for me. It's why I bought into Windows Phone early on with the Lumia line. I miss my Lumia 1020.

So far the G6 has good call quality and the core phone functions work just fine. The camera seems good enough but, I haven't really gotten to test out all that much. In terms of battery life the phone is at 75% with 8 1/2 hours of usage. Screen on time is at about an hour and a half.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've never had a good fingerprint sensor before the G6. My GS5 has one but it was quite ineffective. So I am loving having it on the G6.

Front vs. back placement is an interesting question. It seems to be mainly a question of how you use your phone. If you want to unlock it while it's lying on the desk, front is the way to go, and it always seemed a natural gesture for my wife to grab her iphone with her thumb on the sensor. But for me, I don't ever hold my phone that way and I find the back to be better. But actually, on the side would be the best yet, for me.

Also, having been a lightflow user for years, I thought I'd miss my notification LED. The reality is I don't. I find the AOD to be more useful when multiple different things have to be indicated (rather than waiting for colors and patterns to cycle, I can just see all the notification icons at a glance). I stilll would prefer having BOTH.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a good fingerprint sensor before the G6. My GS5 has one but it was quite ineffective. So I am loving having it on the G6.

Front vs. back placement is an interesting question. It seems to be mainly a question of how you use your phone. If you want to unlock it while it's lying on the desk, front is the way to go, and it always seemed a natural gesture for my wife to grab her iphone with her thumb on the sensor. But for me, I don't ever hold my phone that way and I find the back to be better. But actually, on the side would be the best yet, for me.

Also, having been a lightflow user for years, I thought I'd miss my notification LED. The reality is I don't. I find the AOD to be more useful when multiple different things have to be indicated (rather than waiting for colors and patterns to cycle, I can just see all the notification icons at a glance). I stilll would prefer having BOTH.

You bring up a lot of good points. I have grown really accustomed to picking up my phone and unlocking it while doing so; since my fingerprint scanner is on the back. But then there are times when I get notifications and I have to pick up my phone from a flat surface to unlock/put in my PIN to retrieve said notifications. So for this time around, I'd love to have a front-facing fingerprint scanner.

Also, I LOVED my G3's double-tap-to-wake gesture, and the front-facing fingerprint scanner kind of fills this void for me, in a way.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have grown really accustomed to picking up my phone and unlocking it while doing so; since my fingerprint scanner is on the back. But then there are times when I get notifications and I have to pick up my phone from a flat surface to unlock/put in my PIN to retrieve said notifications. So for this time around, I'd love to have a front-facing fingerprint scanner.

Also, I LOVED my G3's double-tap-to-wake gesture, and the front-facing fingerprint scanner kind of fills this void for me, in a way.

I've enabled Google's face unlock feature (this is not LG's version from the G6+ that is supposedly coming to the G6) and when it works, it is convenient when the phone is lying on the table. I double-tap to wake the screen (you still have that on the G6) and lean over the phone until "Please Finger to unlock" is replaced by either "swipe to unlock" or "Unlocked by smart lock" and then swipe to get rid of the lock screen. But most of the time if I am not picking up the phone what I want to see is already in a notification on the lock screen and I don't need to unlock anyway.

Sometimes I am surprised when the phone is not accepting my fingerprint and I find that it's already been unlocked by face unlock, which is kind of a pain but doesn't happen very often.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have face unlock active on G6...which works really well..and pattern unlock....have zero issues of having fps on the back

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've enabled Google's face unlock feature (this is not LG's version from the G6+ that is supposedly coming to the G6) and when it works, it is convenient when the phone is lying on the table. I double-tap to wake the screen (you still have that on the G6) and lean over the phone until "Please Finger to unlock" is replaced by either "swipe to unlock" or "Unlocked by smart lock" and then swipe to get rid of the lock screen. But most of the time if I am not picking up the phone what I want to see is already in a notification on the lock screen and I don't need to unlock anyway.

Sometimes I am surprised when the phone is not accepting my fingerprint and I find that it's already been unlocked by face unlock, which is kind of a pain but doesn't happen very often.

That's a good setup you've got, there! Honestly, that double-tap-to-wake gesture alone is what makes me really want a G6 LOOL; that gesture is so handy.

... I didn't mean for that to be a pun, but it worked! 😂

Also, that's strange that sometimes those two unlocking features collide with each other at times. Glad it doesn't happen often!

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
That was me that said that, what you quoted in the original post.

If you can find anything I said about this phone in this forum before my issues, you will see how much I love this phone.. I was one of the more active users in here.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That was me that said that, what you quoted in the original post.

If you can find anything I said about this phone in this forum before my issues, you will see how much I love this phone.. I was one of the more active users in here.

What phone are you using now, Jeremiah? It's a Pixel 2 line device, correct?