Buyer's remorse and the LG G6...LG G6 Edition

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Correct. I bought to 2 XL and one regular.

None of the issues that recently plagued my TMobile G6 are there.

Awesome! Glad you are not having any issues.

Did your G6 have those issues due to a TMobile update? I'm in Canada, and want a G6 (for now anyway!); but am worried about what could/may happen to it with updates.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! Glad you are not having any issues.

Did your G6 have those issues due to a TMobile update? I'm in Canada, and want a G6 (for now anyway!); but am worried about what could/may happen to it with updates.
Yeah it was a TMobile update. It was perfect until their security patch. It's a really great phone.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it was a TMobile update. It was perfect until their security patch. It's a really great phone.
That's such a shame. I hope to get the Oreo update, but hope it doesn't ruin my G6. We all want the newest updates... Until it breaks our phone. Jerry had a great article the other day about this.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Started with the G6 earlier this year, spent 2 weeks with a Pixel 2, and now back on my G6.

While I don't have buyer's remorse, as the G6 is a fantastic device, I crave the camera quality and experience of the Pixel 2. (Speedy updates don't hurt either).

I can make an argument for how nice the G6 is. It adds a bit of convenience and versatility over the Pixel 2. And every time I use that wide angle, I think....the Pixel 2 can't do this. But then, when I was on the P2, I was thinking, how am I going to live without wide angle?

When I had the P2, I tucked my 3 wireless chargers away so I wasn't reminded of what I didn't have. They made things easier. A desk dock, a night stand dock w/ AOD, and a Qi pad to lay my phone next to my computer.
Wireless charging is a major GO. The Pixel 2 is good enough to live without it.

This is little, but I like the FPS/power button combo. It eliminates the confusion of having the power button and volume rocker on the same side. Not a deal breaker though.

I like the customization LG offers with system fonts and themes as well.

What it really came down to was the price. I couldn't justify the camera and update benefits alone to throw down 700. With my G6, I'm on a NEXT plan that allowed me to have it for 50% off. The caveat was sticking with it for 24 months to get the full 50% off. To get out of my G6 plan, I'd have to turn it in for $400 or pay off for $580.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Started with the G6 earlier this year, spent 2 weeks with a Pixel 2, and now back on my G6.

While I don't have buyer's remorse, as the G6 is a fantastic device, I crave the camera quality and experience of the Pixel 2. (Speedy updates don't hurt either).

I can make an argument for how nice the G6 is. It adds a bit of convenience and versatility over the Pixel 2. And every time I use that wide angle, I think....the Pixel 2 can't do this. But then, when I was on the P2, I was thinking, how am I going to live without wide angle?

When I had the P2, I tucked my 3 wireless chargers away so I wasn't reminded of what I didn't have. They made things easier. A desk dock, a night stand dock w/ AOD, and a Qi pad to lay my phone next to my computer.
Wireless charging is a major GO. The Pixel 2 is good enough to live without it.

This is little, but I like the FPS/power button combo. It eliminates the confusion of having the power button and volume rocker on the same side. Not a deal breaker though.

I like the customization LG offers with system fonts and themes as well.

What it really came down to was the price. I couldn't justify the camera and update benefits alone to throw down 700. With my G6, I'm on a NEXT plan that allowed me to have it for 50% off. The caveat was sticking with it for 24 months to get the full 50% off. To get out of my G6 plan, I'd have to turn it in for $400 or pay off for $580.
I'm in the same boat as you with the half off deal. Interesting that you decided against the "best" Android phone.

The decision I'm going to have to make is whether or not I will splurge for the 6T a year from now, even though I'll have about 10 months of payments left on my G6 to make the complete 30 months. I really don't want to get sucked in to turning it in for another next plan. This phone is good enough to pay off in it's entirety then keep as a backup phone or to use in manual camera mode.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you with the half off deal. Interesting that you decided against the "best" Android phone.

The decision I'm going to have to make is whether or not I will splurge for the 6T a year from now, even though I'll have about 10 months of payments left on my G6 to make the complete 30 months. I really don't want to get sucked in to turning it in for another next plan. This phone is good enough to pay off in it's entirety then keep as a backup phone or to use in manual camera mode.
Yeah, it was tough to say no to the best be phone. Despite it's smaller screen, normal bezels, smaller battery, no wireless charge and no headphone jack, I agree that it is a better phone.

The smoothness of Oreo on the Pixel 2, battery life and camera quality are that good to make me consider leaving the G6.

The G6 would make an excellent backup to a P2 and probably would make me consider carrying 2 devices. Time is on our side though. The Pixel 2 is destined for some sales in the future or being plentiful on swappa when the S9 hits.

On a side note. I do hope that LG has something nice planned for the G6 Oreo update. Perhaps a portrait mode?

kraze4u

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Went to Best Buy to check out the G6. I prefer the wider screen on my G4. And the volume buttons and power button on the back of the G4 are still great.

Last edited:

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That was me that said that, what you quoted in the original post.

If you can find anything I said about this phone in this forum before my issues, you will see how much I love this phone.. I was one of the more active users in here.
What were your issues? I tried looking for a post, but couldn't find anything. I have a T-Mobile G6 myself

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I find myself missing the screen real estate of the G6, but I honestly could not pass up the Pixel 2. I did consider the XL but I couldn't justify the higher price tag and possible screen issues.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I find myself missing the screen real estate of the G6, but I honestly could not pass up the Pixel 2. I did consider the XL but I couldn't justify the higher price tag and possible screen issues.

I agree with you: that screen real-estate of the G6, and how it fit in the hand, were superb.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I was at a T-Mobile store recently when my wife upgraded to the S8, which don't get me wrong, is a beautiful phone and I would totally take one if it were free but I love my G6. I took a look at the V30, held it in my hand. I actually like my G6 alot better and I feel like it'll be a phone I'll hold onto until it starts annoying me due to its age. so far I love it. love the way it feels in the hand. love how snappy it is. love the cameras and the screen.

Nunya Biz1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
My G6 is sucking up battery life right now. Have to keep it plugged in if I want more than 8 hours. Ridiculous. I have the 2"year warranty but I bet they will give me a refurbished phone.....

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty bad. With my G6 I take it off the charger at 6 am and go until 7:30pm and have about 47% power remaining. Of course, that all depends on personal usage, closeness to cell towers, running background apps, etc.

Plugging in the phone to a charger is not a big deal.
Is it just the lazyness of not plugging it in and laying it on top of a charger? What am I missing?
Using a wireless charger isn't a big deal. You just don't have to plug/unplug your phone to a USB cable for charging. For me, I use it out of convenience. If you're fine with the cable route, more power to you! ;)

My G6 is sucking up battery life right now. Have to keep it plugged in if I want more than 8 hours. Ridiculous. I have the 2"year warranty but I bet they will give me a refurbished phone.....

ctleng76

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I got the LG G6 3 months ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. This is my second LG phone (I upgraded from the G3). My kids both have Galaxy S series phones, and while they are good solid phones, I can't stand the cartoonish colors in the UI, and the curved screen of the S8 is the dumbest idea ever (in my opinion). The G6 is fast, the UI is simple and effective, and the price is much better than other flagship phones. I didn't consider the Pixel because I won't pay $700 for a Google phone. If Google wants to sell a phone to me, they will need to return to the pricing model they had for the Nexus.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I got the LG G6 3 months ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. This is my second LG phone (I upgraded from the G3). My kids both have Galaxy S series phones, and while they are good solid phones, I can't stand the cartoonish colors in the UI, and the curved screen of the S8 is the dumbest idea ever (in my opinion). The G6 is fast, the UI is simple and effective, and the price is much better than other flagship phones. I didn't consider the Pixel because I won't pay $700 for a Google phone. If Google wants to sell a phone to me, they will need to return to the pricing model they had for the Nexus.

So glad you are loving your G6! It really is a solid, quality phone at a great price this time of the year. How are you liking the camera?

With regards to Pixel, it's difficult for Google to still keep the prices it previously had reserved for Nexus-series phones. They were such a bargain and performed excellently; but they lacked the bells and whistles (waterproofing, AOD, squeeze feature, upgraded camera, etc) that the Pixel 2 line has. The Nexus line had been targeting a different audience as well - the Pixel 2 line, IMO, is aimed at those who want a flagship or a device with those extra bells and whistles that set it apart from other phones. Unfortunately, we'll have to pay top dollar for them - but they are top dollar products.

However, I plan to combat this issue by waiting a bit until the regular Pixel 2 drops down in price. My carrier currently has it for $0 right now but I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Hopefully the New Year will bring some deals.

Of course, it'd be cool if Google did what Motorola does currently, and made a "Play" version of their Pixel phones. I feel like those would generate some interest.