LG G6 issues

Ronan1287

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I've had this phone for about a good 6 or 7 months now and I've had nothing but issues with it. Please tell me I'm not the only one? For starters, since day one, that annoying audio head jack issue where it keeps cutting out. It made it to the point where it's unusable. It's constantly slow and annoying, apps constantly don't work right. They constantly either crash, freeze or do just bizarre things. I blame a lot of this on the supposed processor in it. Apparently it's not on par with a lot of whats out there now.

Though I really do like the design and feel of this phone, and when it does work it works good, I'm very hesitant to purchase any more LG devices after this experience. I came from the Galaxy S5 before this and despite being such an old phone, it always worked 99% of the time flawlessly even being 3-4 years old.

I'm with T-mobile and I'm almost paid up on my G6 and I'm wondering if I should switch to something else. I would love to have a Note 8, but not particularly thrilled about spending a thousand dollars on a phone. My next best choice would be the LG V30, but like I said, having this experience with this, I am quite afraid to especially for the 800 dollar price tag.

Am I the only one to have these issues with this phone? And what do you guys think, is the V30 much better?

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Bit better screen, bit better battery, bit better camera and sp835. Since all of the people have phones nowdays for 2 yrs max. i think that if you bought the G6 its a waste of money to switch to the new one so fast. I have G6 for 7 months so far. And i haven't had any issues so far. I apsolutly love the phone.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Problems like this are not all that widespread, it seems. The headphone jack could be the exception. It is possible the part they used has less than stellar quality control.

On the performance side it seems that complaints like yours are the exception. Which hints at either some bad app you have installed, or perhaps you have some kind of hardware issue that for whatever reason manifests itself as performance issues and app malfunctions (RAM perhaps). The truth is that the older processor is really not THAT much different and was perfectly acceptable only a year before.

I too came from a Galaxy S5 to this phone and the difference was like night and day. The S5 was getting flaky and slow on me and the G6 was so much nicer (and still is).

I would start with a factory reset and very gradually introduce your apps back so that you can see if something in particular is causing an issue. If you get that kind of issue with only the built-in apps then you have a case for a warranty repair - it really should not be like that.

As for something new - I am starting to really think it's not worth spending flagship amounts for a phone nowadays. You can get an awful lot for $400-$500 and truthfully not have to compromise much if at all. That was my plan to replace the GS5 (but my wife dragged me to the phone store and made me pick something out as a gift). Luckily the G6 was half price at the time.

Ronan1287

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, the audio head jack issue is apparently very common from what I've read online. I can use bluetooth and it works great, but still, for a 500 dollar phone, I would expect more. And I actually did a factory reset recently and it did help a little, but it's still a slow, laggy device. I don't really download many apps honestly besides the standard apps

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, the audio head jack issue is apparently very common from what I've read online. I can use bluetooth and it works great, but still, for a 500 dollar phone, I would expect more. And I actually did a factory reset recently and it did help a little, but it's still a slow, laggy device. I don't really download many apps honestly besides the standard apps
Knock on wood, I haven't had the headphone issue. Better battery life and snappier camera are the only two things I could really ask for.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that your issues are all that common. I've had my G6 for a few weeks shy of a year and haven't experienced any of these problems.

My suggestion is to reset the phone, but start with a clean install. Admittedly this is a PITA. Don't load any apps at first for a day or two. Then load a few apps and use them for a day or two more. then load a few more and so on. Just so you can make sure it's not a misbehaving app. I've had to do this in the past with my previous phones and a few times found that it wasn't the phone after all.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the PITA, but I did a factory reset after a buddy did the same, and my battery life went up about an hour, from about 3.5 to 4.5. My original install was a swap from my G5, and I think I'll just do new installs from here on out, regardless of how much it sucks.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g6/821484-headphone-jack-issues.html

I had the headphone jack issue about 1 month after getting a brand new G6. I didn't feel like sending it to LG for repair, so I grudgingly accepted Verizon's "like new" (refurb) replacement. A couple weeks in, the refurb developed the same issue. Of course Verizon made me try a factory reset, but it is a hardware issue. In my thread that I linked, someone mentioned sticking something in the port and carefully bending the contact spring out a little, but I didn't have any luck with that. I sold my second refurb without even activating it, bought a Pixel XL and switched to Fi, as I'd been unhappy with VZ for several other reasons. I love Fi, but hate the Pixel. It at least has a working headphone jack, which is good because bluetooth on it SUCKS.

I didn't have any of the other G6 issues you mentioned, and overall liked the G6 better than the Pixel. But the headphone jack was a dealbreaker as I use the AUX jack in my car.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy Note series is not known for its longevity. Note 4 was my favorite device ever but I had an absolute ton of issues with it. I hope to get into the Note series again but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you should have returned the phone when you got it. I don't understand why people carry these device issues and get months out and say, "This is a POS." If these issues were there when you first got it, you should have corrected it then. No sympathy if you have defective hardware from day 1 and do nothing about it.

That said, my wife's G6 is still running flawlessly over 10 months into ownership. Her one complaint is battery life, but only because we came from the Droid Turbo, which had a massive battery that got 18-20 easy even being 3 years old. Her G6 gets her through most of the day with a poor 4G signal, as long as she charges it in the car on her way to work.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
My suggestion is to reset the phone, but start with a clean install. Admittedly this is a PITA. Don't load any apps at first for a day or two. Then load a few apps and use them for a day or two more. then load a few more and so on. Just so you can make sure it's not a misbehaving app. I've had to do this in the past with my previous phones and a few times found that it wasn't the phone after all.

This is a key. My phone started rebooting randomly a couple weeks ago. I did a deep dive into the system logs and my guess is that some app is launching a bunch of tasks of some kind, too many in a short period, which is exhausting some kind of system table. I can't tell which one from the logs so I whipped up a monitoring script and in the meantime disabled or uninstalled everything I can't live without. I'm really hoping to find it was just one of those apps, but ultimately seems most likely it is a software problem and while I'd prefer to avoid a factory reset, I prefer that to sending in my phone for service or having it reboot nearly every day (though I have to say, the reboots have not really affected me, other than the fact that I know they shouldn't be happening).

For normal users, almost all of the time when a phone is acting up, it's due to apps. Once in a while, hardware.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
For normal users, almost all of the time when a phone is acting up, it's due to apps. Once in a while, hardware.

Exactly. Truthfully, you'd have to reinstall all the apps anyway if you have to replace the phone. This just cuts out the 2 day wait for the replacement to come by mail.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I blame a lot of this on the supposed processor in it. Apparently it's not on par with a lot of whats out there now.

I just noticed this part of your post. How can you blame it on the processor when you actually have no idea what it could be. The processor version has nothing to do with it. You obviously bought a dud. There are bad apples out there when it comes to technology. It's the way it goes. You could use this device for another 3 years and I bet the processor will still be able to run most apps. The first issue you'll come across is an app not supporting an OS version. I would go through warranty. I'm harsh when it comes to phones. I loved my Note 4 but it wasn't very reliable. And I would say it could have been a dud like your G6 but I had the same issue with my Note 3. And the step father had the same issue with his S4 at the time. It's a Samsung thing.

This is the first phone I've had in a while that I don't care to replace. I would take a V30 if it were free, that's about it. nothing else impresses me on the market. I'm a huge Android fan but I would go back to iPhone before I ever thought of buying a Note 8 (not because the phone isnt great, it's just so damn ugly to me)

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
i have my G6 since launch no issues here....but at times it slow i just do a restart....if iam using the headfone some times i get static sound i just clean the headphone jact with some cotton to remove dust....i have Note 8 also...i love both of them....

d_la_roc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ive had my LG V20 for about a year and getting lots of issues now. Phone shuts itself off from time to time. Shuts off at 12% battery. Shut off when I plug it in to charge. Now I get image retention every 1 min I’m on the same page (screen burn in that goes away after 10 mins). A quick google search shows these are very common problems with the V20. Its my first LG phone, and definitely my last. I tell everyone I know to stay away from LG smartphones if they want longevity and a solid device after 6 months. I’ve had at least 20 something smartphones over the last 5 years, and NONE of them ever did the image retention burn in. Not even OLED. LG mobile is garbage.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had my G6 for about 1 yr now, and I still love it. Even after updating to Android 8.0 (Oreo) on AT&T my G6 is working great with speed, no lagging, and very good battery life.

Having said that, I did have an issue with a "moisture in the USB port" notification which prevented me from charging using the USB port (I never had any liquids near my phone). I sent the phone into LG for a repair and everything is working great again.

So for now, no issues with this phone (knock on wood!).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance