Jump to S9 or stay with the G6

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I've got the itch to upgrade. The S9 looks fantastic. But I've had Samsung in the past and have my reservations with the software and the curved screen. That said, the SD845 has some nice improvements.

I had to get a phone and got the G6 because it was on sale. It's been very solid, only a couple small gripes. I really am torn because the G6 is so solid but yet I am very tempted by the S9 as it seems like a solid upgrade and who knows what LG is going to do this year.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is a tough one because there'll probably be something better for you down the road when LG's next flagship comes out, but the best incentives to get the S9 will probably only be available when the phone is released.

I'm going to wait because, like you, I'm not a huge Samsung fan, and I'm tempted to "upgrade" to one of the upcoming "midrange" phones if I don't like LG's next big thing.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had the G6 for a very short time - basically got it to be able to Jump into the Note 8 when it came out. I just didn't like that phone - a little on the small side, display wasn't as nice, didn't seem as fast, and it had trouble doing a few things that my S8+ and Note 8 breezed through (cannot remember exactly what it was, but it was related to file short cuts on the home page).

Depending on what you prefer in a phone and what you expect from a phone, you may or may not have quite the same reaction as I did and probably others that came from the G6. I think either way about it though, you will be very, VERY pleased with the switch. The S8+ was fantastic before I got the Note 8 and I'm sure the S9 and 9+ will be great performers as well.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I just can't see paying the premium price for a 2018 flagship over the G6. There's just not enough improvement to justify that kind of cost to me.

When I got my G6 I was actually shopping among the mid-range phones from smaller brands. They've been offering almost everything the flagships have (where it matters) for half the cost. This is probably what I'll be looking at when my G6 no longer does the job, although by then, the incremental changes in each year's flagship might be small enough that I'll be happy with a good deal on the previous model.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If you like the G6 a lot, get the V30

It does the job fine. I don't hate it, I don't love it. To be fair, I can't remember the last phone I loved. I've always been wanting something different than I have because I've been forced to settle, which is what happened with the G6. I had to get a phone and the V30 had been announced but it still wasn't out and I couldn't wait.

That all said, it does everything I need it to, I don't need to upgrade. I just want to. I may have issues lol.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I just can't see paying the premium price for a 2018 flagship over the G6. There's just not enough improvement to justify that kind of cost to me.

Agreed, though there are some good trade-in incentives from both Samsung and T-Mobile...even if one is trading in the G6.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, though there are some good trade-in incentives from both Samsung and T-Mobile...even if one is trading in the G6.
Well, that's the thing. If I can use my jump, pay the same money monthly and get the S9 with a two generation newer chipset, better camera, better connectivity (600 mhz), better battery life, etc, is there a downside?

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
How much money do you people have ? Like from what i read here its like most of you change 2-3 phones in 1 year. Thats actually sad. I mean what are you slaves of technology and marketing ? G6 is great phone and i dont see why wouldnt i keep it for next two years or more.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
How much money do you people have ? Like from what i read here its like most of you change 2-3 phones in 1 year. Thats actually sad. I mean what are you slaves of technology and marketing ? G6 is great phone and i dont see why wouldnt i keep it for next two years or more.
Lol, with Jump I can do it annually and keep my payment the same.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Depend on regional. U.S have finance to lease or monthly payment. I know other country you need buy out right .

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I dont know but its like how much money do you people have, here in my country cost of iPhone X is 1600$+ for example.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont know but its like how much money do you people have, here in my country cost of iPhone X is 1600$+ for example.
That's crazy, I would never pay that. But on my carrier is can basically walk in, give them my G6, walk out with the S9 and keep the same payment. Do the same thing next year.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
L..M..A..O.. and that is NOT meant towards you. That price is crazy - but pricing in other countries will be different I'm sure. I can see why you are puzzled seeing people buying phones left and right. I'm in the states and am with TMobile on their Jump On Demand plan. I can change phones a few times a year. When I got my Note 8 at launch, I didn't even have a down payment (a special they were running). The S9+ through TMobile in the US is showing a $199 (or close to that) down payment but they said they may run specials on it.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Lol, with Jump I can do it annually and keep my payment the same.

Well, you're still spending the full price of a flagship phone every 2 years or so, I think that is the point. If you're going to replace the G6 either now or a year from now either way, I say go for it, enjoy the latest and greatest as often as you can - even if there's not really much of a "real" improvement, it's good to have new hardware and a new warranty.

I'm coming from a more frugal place myself though where the cost/benefit ratio does play into things :)

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, you're still spending the full price of a flagship phone every 2 years or so, I think that is the point. If you're going to replace the G6 either now or a year from now either way, I say go for it, enjoy the latest and greatest as often as you can - even if there's not really much of a "real" improvement, it's good to have new hardware and a new warranty.

I'm coming from a more frugal place myself though where the cost/benefit ratio does play into things :)
Well that's the thing, I've always upgraded at least every two so I've never not had a phone payment or a new contract back in the old days and I've never really been able to be on the bleeding edge and I kind of want to lol.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm generally on a two-year cycle. I think it's just a holdover from when the carriers used to tie you down on a two-year plan with a subsidized phone. That's about the minimum amount of time a truly good device will be good for, give or take several months. This last year was a bit odd for me, though. I had the LePro 3 for a couple months...then my wife spilled her drink and it got fried. I ended up just going to T-Mo and getting the G6 for $500 in June. I'll probably hold onto it for another year or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis