1 Year On

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Today is officially one year that the G6 was released. This is the longest I've gone without upgrading to a new phone since my original Motorola SLVR. It just goes to show how great this phone really is. Never had slow downs that disrupt the use of the phone. Battery life is still great. The only hiccup is the vibration motor.

The way things are going, manufacturers are making great phones at a significantly higher price that these devices shouldn't be demanding. I usually have an interest in SOMETHING out there. But this year, nothing jumped out at me. The only other device I considered was the V30 but I couldn't justify the additional $$.

I hope most of you are happy with your G6. I just wanted to share my experience. I haven't held on to a smartphone for a whole year since my very first cell phone about 11 years ago. That says a lot.

Nextel i730
Motorola SLVR
LG Voyager
LG EnV2 (x2)
LG VX9800(?)
BB 8330
BB 9630
Palm Pre Plus
BB 9650
iPhone 4
BB 9930
iPhone 4s
BB Q10 (x2)
BB Passport
Galaxy Note 3
iPhone 6 Plus
Galaxy Note 4
LG G5
LG G6

I think that's it lol. I know folks have had more phones in a shorter period of time, but I've been looking for something that I would keep for a while and I finally found it.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
idk. the G7 has that stupid notch. if LG began the trend I wouldn't mind but it's a blatant copy cat and I can't get passed that

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Coraya...this appears to be a tribute to LG especially for someone who's owned so many phones. I'm the polar opposite of you which in my case means I'm still rocking a Galaxy S3! Strange as it may seem, its been a solid performer in spite of the fact its stuck on Kit Kat :) But its time to upgrade and I've boiled it down to 3 choices: LG6, OnePlus 3T and the ZTE Axon 7. I DO have concerns about the G6 based on the many issues I've read about and in some cases law suits. I notice LG offers an additional warranty to buyers of new devices which also seems suspicious of poor QC at the factories. I own an LG OLED TV and there's few if ANY that compare. But I don't want to deal with a phone that may die at any given moment. Both ZTE and OnePlus are known for reliability, but what about LG?

PhonezRfun

Sep 26, 2017
Visit site
ZTE gives 2 years warranty (A7 mini, but the A7 too, maybe?)

ZTE warranty process seems to be arduous at best, though, from some things I've heard.

LG G6 is legit (using it now), and I've used maybe 40-50 phones in the last 3 years (I'm slowing down, I promise).

I'd put the G6 in my top 5. For UX, my favorite of all time would be the note 4, Moto x2, note 3, htc one m8, G6

Based on my choices, it should be evident I'm no fanboy.

I have used the A7 mini (not A7). Never used opo

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Coraya...this appears to be a tribute to LG especially for someone who's owned so many phones. I'm the polar opposite of you which in my case means I'm still rocking a Galaxy S3! Strange as it may seem, its been a solid performer in spite of the fact its stuck on Kit Kat :) But its time to upgrade and I've boiled it down to 3 choices: LG6, OnePlus 3T and the ZTE Axon 7. I DO have concerns about the G6 based on the many issues I've read about and in some cases law suits. I notice LG offers an additional warranty to buyers of new devices which also seems suspicious of poor QC at the factories. I own an LG OLED TV and there's few if ANY that compare. But I don't want to deal with a phone that may die at any given moment. Both ZTE and OnePlus are known for reliability, but what about LG?

It's been reliab for me. I haven't had any issues other than my vibration motor not working. I know it's a hardware issue because when I dropped my phone it worked again lol.

Other than the G6, the Note 4 has been a favorite of mine. The G6 just edges out the Note 4 in the greatest device I've ever had.

The G6 has easily been the most reliable of all the devices I've owned.

Surprised your S3 has lasted as long as it has! Simply due to its age I mean lol.

I also have LG's second year promise warranty.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

I have used Axon 7 great phone but very weak camera and old processor....I think go for s8 or G6 both great phone and way cheaper now...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm still rocking a Galaxy S3! Strange as it may seem, its been a solid performer in spite of the fact its stuck on Kit Kat :)

Yowza! I still have my old S3, but it is only used as a 'toy' for my 8 year old son. It's very laggy and the battery (even swapping out batteries) really doesn't hold up very long. I can't believe you still use it for day-to-day stuff!

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Yowza! I still have my old S3, but it is only used as a 'toy' for my 8 year old son. It's very laggy and the battery (even swapping out batteries) really doesn't hold up very long. I can't believe you still use it for day-to-day stuff!

Actually it's been rock solid..battery goes a full day or more. Probably has much to do with the fact I don't load it with apps and use it moderately.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have used Axon 7 great phone but very weak camera and old processor....I think go for s8 or G6 both great phone and way cheaper now...

I don't buy phones for the camera, though I'm well aware of the Axon 7's shortcomings there. I'm leaning towards an unlocked phone and will see whether I can find a new G6 at a good price. If not, I'll go with the 3T since I'm not a fan of the S8.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, holy Sh!t... I could have sworn it's been longer than a year. I've commented several times through out the forum that I've had my phone over a year and no-one's called me out on my BS! :p

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My daughter still has hers and likes it. The only time she complains is when comparing batteries with my v30 lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Love your phone history! Lots of BlackBerry, which is cool (I too had the Q10!). So glad you are loving your G6 and are keeping it long-term. I agree that phone prices are hiking and that it's getting harder and harder to justify upgrading for the price. After buying my Pixel 2, I'm done with buying another smartphone for two years.

There's not always a justifiable explanation to upgrading to another device in a year's time. Last year's phones still run really well and I don't really see the need to look at the "brand new" ones out there. :)

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a Pixel 2 and moved from my G6 to it. I don't love the Pixel 2 hardware, and there's some features I miss from the G6's software believe it or not. But, I also like the monthly updates and speed of the Pixel 2. I'm really torn on keeping it though as the G6 is just a nice solid device. Though I think if I went back to the G6 I'd use my jump on a V30 if there was a good enough deal. IDK there's things that bug me about the G6 too but I miss that huge screen.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a Pixel 2 and moved from my G6 to it. I don't love the Pixel 2 hardware, and there's some features I miss from the G6's software believe it or not. But, I also like the monthly updates and speed of the Pixel 2. I'm really torn on keeping it though as the G6 is just a nice solid device. Though I think if I went back to the G6 I'd use my jump on a V30 if there was a good enough deal. IDK there's things that bug me about the G6 too but I miss that huge screen.

What bugs you about the G6? We all use our devices differently so I'm curious.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What bugs you about the G6? We all use our devices differently so I'm curious.
I can't use gesture typing on mine, if I have it enabled the keyboard freaks out when I'm just typing with my thumbs and types a bunch of garbled letters. It's really annoying. The camera launches slow and has trouble focusing at times. I also like having an actual power button on the side, instead of it being in the fingerprint sensor. Nothing major really, I think over all I do like the G6, just not sure if I want to go back to it.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I have definitely experienced the bad gesture with the stock keyboard but Gboard works great for me. Laggy when opening camera? YES. It's annoying. Especially when you need to capture a special moment. Still love it though. but yes it has its faults.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I miss my G6. Had mine for 7 months (which is a long time for me) before I went through the following devices: HTC 10, Mate 9, Pixel, OnePlus 5 and now HTC U11 in a span of 4 months. My G6 had issues (screen capture didn't work, constant app closures), but it had the best form factor with all the features I wanted/needed (waterproof, expandable storage, headphone jack). And I loved the camera, especially the wide angle. So far HTC U11 has been great, but the lack of a headphone jack and the wide angle option is bothering me. If I do change again, it'll be for the V30. If the G7 gets a notch, I'm not going near that. Not getting anything with a notch.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I miss my G6. Had mine for 7 months (which is a long time for me) before I went through the following devices: HTC 10, Mate 9, Pixel, OnePlus 5 and now HTC U11 in a span of 4 months. My G6 had issues (screen capture didn't work, constant app closures), but it had the best form factor with all the features I wanted/needed (waterproof, expandable storage, headphone jack). And I loved the camera, especially the wide angle. So far HTC U11 has been great, but the lack of a headphone jack and the wide angle option is bothering me. If I do change again, it'll be for the V30. If the G7 gets a notch, I'm not going near that. Not getting anything with a notch.

Looks like it's definitely coming with a notch. Samsung S series also looks like it's getting it next year. I won't touch a phone with that copy cat trash.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree - the G6 has the best form factor of 2017, in my opinion. It was a dream to hold in the hand I loved the design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance