08-01-2018 06:34 AM
31 12
tools
    Those fortunate ones who got the Oreo update, please let us know how it is
    jchapman01 likes this.
    06-01-2018 05:21 AM
    Very crisp now. All the lagging issues I had are gone. Camera is better now also. They did add some bloat ware and I had a failure to install something warning. But I Uninstalled the apps and wiped the cache partition and everything is working great. The battery life seems a little bit better but not much. The whole settings menu has been changed for The better. I am on sprint so it may be different for others. A very good update for the phone.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-01-2018 02:06 PM
    Its okay phone is fast and fluid. But to be honest i expected a bit more features with oreo but it is, what it is.
    06-02-2018 03:07 AM
    Very crisp now. All the lagging issues I had are gone. Camera is better now also. They did add some bloat ware and I had a failure to install something warning. But I Uninstalled the apps and wiped the cache partition and everything is working great. The battery life seems a little bit better but not much. The whole settings menu has been changed for The better. I am on sprint so it may be different for others. A very good update for the phone.
    Ditto here, although didn't have any additional boatware.
    06-02-2018 07:43 AM
    Notification shade has some more color, Settings has a new layout and a few things are moved around - still getting used to those, app sound profiles were/are the biggest adjustment for me as the system can now control notifications independent of the apps, and some apps conflict with this. Also 3rd-party apps can be a challenge at first because the "unknown apps source" is now applied per app - if you use a browser to download an apk it has to be explicitly allowed to install that apk, and so forth.

Biggest negative for me is battery life - on Nougat my average was about 5 hours SoT at 40% left in the tank; now it's 30 minutes SoT at 60%. I've gone through two factory resets and unloaded three apps (Clipper+, Glasswire, Stormtracker), now I'm "letting it settle" and just using the device as normally as possible with two extra charge sessions in my day.

I'm on Verizon, so yes there's bloatware, though it's easily uninstalled or removed via adb.
    06-02-2018 03:22 PM
    So glad that the update is working well for everyone!
    06-02-2018 11:11 PM
    Hate to say this but even after figuring out the bugs I have to give Oreo a thumbs down. My phone crashes at least once a day now and I'm just not happy overall.
    06-03-2018 03:45 PM
    Can no longer customize icons. There is a bit of a learning curve as to apps, etc. Can no longer pinch in to see see screens. Still working on it. Hubby is technologically impaired. I see frustration in my future.
    dreamsnpurple likes this.
    06-03-2018 04:38 PM
    Can no longer customize icons. There is a bit of a learning curve as to apps, etc. Can no longer pinch in to see see screens. Still working on it. Hubby is technologically impaired. I see frustration in my future.
    Is that with the default launcher?
    06-03-2018 05:53 PM
    Just wanted to pop in and give you all a quick update, instead of crashing everyday my phone now crashes a few times a week. I honestly believe it was something with the Oreo update
    06-15-2018 09:56 AM
    Seems like its a mixed bag...Am curious if those who've responded own carrier locked version or unlocked? I've been looking at the AT&T derivative but don't want to buy a phone that's gonna crash. My current Galaxy never crashes though its very outdated.
    06-15-2018 02:10 PM
    My phone is through Verizon and it crashed again shortly before I responded to this message
    06-15-2018 02:38 PM
    Seems like its a mixed bag...Am curious if those who've responded own carrier locked version or unlocked? I've been looking at the AT&T derivative but don't want to buy a phone that's gonna crash. My current Galaxy never crashes though its very outdated.
    Perhaps unlocked versions are experiencing less issues? I guess we shall wait and see!
    06-15-2018 04:19 PM
    I only have one issue on the AT&T flavored version and that is the Citi Mobile app which sounds the notification sound 13! times whenever I have made a transaction. No other app does that.
    06-15-2018 10:03 PM
    Works great on mine and my wifes G6. My phone is snappy and the battery life has improved somewhat.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-18-2018 01:58 PM
    Works great on mine and my wifes G6. My phone is snappy and the battery life has improved somewhat.
    That's great to hear, especially about the improved battery life!
    06-18-2018 04:15 PM
    Is that with the default launcher?
    Yes. Before 7.0, you could long press on any folder icon. A little paint brush showed and you could click and change the icon to anything you wanted. I made all my own.

This is the one I used for direct call contact for the technologically impaired hubby. How is the new Oreo flavored G6?-i-20heart-20hubby-20new-20desktop.jpg
    dreamsnpurple likes this.
    06-23-2018 08:41 AM
    had my phone brick not once, but twice in a day
    06-23-2018 09:57 AM
    Oreo on my G6 seems to be working fine. I don't notice any big differences from the previous Nougat version. Battery life, performance all seem fine. Just a few minor annoyances with some notifications.
    06-23-2018 11:44 AM
    That's what bothers me more than anything. Sometimes I miss or forget I have an email because the notifications have changed.
    06-23-2018 12:22 PM
    Yes. Before 7.0, you could long press on any folder icon. A little paint brush showed and you could click and change the icon to anything you wanted. I made all my own.

This is the one I used for direct call contact for the technologically impaired hubby. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I%20heart%20Hubby%20New%20Desktop.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	285786
    You might wind up needing a different launcher. There's some bits and pieces that seemed to have disappeared from Nougat to Oreo that were quite helpful/useful, like the ability to change icons and being able to set the end time for Do Not Disturb, plus random irritations such as waking up today and finding Bitwarden's icon missing from the notification panel. Could be worse though, just ask @chuckdawg1999 how his G6 is doing.

Nova launcher and a few other 3rd party options have the ability to set custom icons, not sure if that's an option in your situation - I'm aware of how much fun it is to change things around on our non-tech-savvy friends and family.
    kgambino likes this.
    06-24-2018 10:54 AM
    Just wanted to pop in and give you all a quick update, instead of crashing everyday my phone now crashes a few times a week. I honestly believe it was something with the Oreo update
    Believe it or not, that could very well be an app. I had some random crashes (pre-oreo) and by digging deep into the system logs I could see that some kind of system table was overflowing. I figured some badly-behaved app was doing it and sure enough after I disabled everything I remembered having installed or updated around the time the crashes started, plus everything that was mentioned in the logs shortly before each crash, the crashes completely stopped. I have gradually re-enabled or permanently uninstalled things and still no crashing.

Back to the original topic, the only kind of crash I have had under Oreo is that "smart cleaning" in settings always crashes the Settings app. I don't need that anyway.

I do not like the adaptive icons (most of the Google ones are now shrunk and in a white box) - the shrunk, black-bordered icons are why I switched to Nova.

The 'xxx is using battery' notification would be useful if it displayed something interesting, now it shows the same 2 things all the time and they are not really using much battery.

Standby time is great now without using forcedoze, but with a lot of bloat disabled. I don't really pay attention to screen time because I am not on my phone that much.

Overall the phone feels a little like new again so I like it.
    06-25-2018 03:08 PM
    Believe it or not, that could very well be an app. I had some random crashes (pre-oreo) and by digging deep into the system logs I could see that some kind of system table was overflowing. I figured some badly-behaved app was doing it and sure enough after I disabled everything I remembered having installed or updated around the time the crashes started, plus everything that was mentioned in the logs shortly before each crash, the crashes completely stopped. I have gradually re-enabled or permanently uninstalled things and still no crashing.

Back to the original topic, the only kind of crash I have had under Oreo is that "smart cleaning" in settings always crashes the Settings app. I don't need that anyway.

I do not like the adaptive icons (most of the Google ones are now shrunk and in a white box) - the shrunk, black-bordered icons are why I switched to Nova.

The 'xxx is using battery' notification would be useful if it displayed something interesting, now it shows the same 2 things all the time and they are not really using much battery.

Standby time is great now without using forcedoze, but with a lot of bloat disabled. I don't really pay attention to screen time because I am not on my phone that much.

Overall the phone feels a little like new again so I like it.
    The one new app I installed before the update I quickly removed because I felt it might be the problem
    06-25-2018 03:15 PM
    You might wind up needing a different launcher. There's some bits and pieces that seemed to have disappeared from Nougat to Oreo that were quite helpful/useful, like the ability to change icons and being able to set the end time for Do Not Disturb, plus random irritations such as waking up today and finding Bitwarden's icon missing from the notification panel. Could be worse though, just ask @chuckdawg1999 how his G6 is doing.

Nova launcher and a few other 3rd party options have the ability to set custom icons, not sure if that's an option in your situation - I'm aware of how much fun it is to change things around on our non-tech-savvy friends and family.
    I use Apex launcher on my Samsung Tab 2. The stock launcher is, well, to be nice…yucky. I also have it on an old phone for my grandkids.
    06-28-2018 05:30 PM
    The biggest problem I've seen with Oreo is that I'm getting the notification tone too many times. It's mainly related to when I hang up a call, notification tone. If my call blocker blocks a call, two notification tones back to back. I've looked everywhere I can think of for a way to turn that blasted noise off and I can't find it. I was off on vacation last week and I had to put my phone on silent so the tone wouldn't wake me up if I got a spam call and sure enough I got at least two to three almost every morning I was off. I'm with Verizon.

Other than that it's been pretty good. Battery life is about the same as it was with Nougat.
    06-28-2018 05:39 PM
31 12