Battery life worse with Oreo

Kiyoshii

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Hey guys!

I wanted to know how your battery life is doing after the update to Oreo.
I have a great stand by/Doze where the phone uses like 1-2% in one hour. But the moment I start using it, it heats up and drops 10% in 15 minutes. I'm mostly texting on WhatsApp and Discord, while listening some Spotify. I'm pretty sure before Oreo it didnt lose so much battery while doing that and it as well didn't become as warm.

I already did a factory reset and am testing the last days in flight mode with only Wifi on. I used all the tips from the battery increase thresh in the G6 category except that lower resolution one. Uninstall not needed bloatware with ADB, cleared system cache, turned off locations, lower the screen brightness etc.

Meanwhile I read some people got better battery life with Oreo, up to 6 hours SOT, while I could never reach that in the state right now.
I will put some screenshots.

What are your experiences?

Attachments

• table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_2018-06-04-08-38-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-04-08-38-42.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_2018-06-04-08-38-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-04-08-38-49.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_2018-06-04-08-38-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-04-08-38-31.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 75

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't kept track of actual statistics, but my better life is definitely a little less under Oreo using the same apps and routine as before the update. It has gotten a little better over the last week, but not as good as it was under 7.0.

Ian Bower

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine is definitely worse.. Used to get 4-5 hours screen on time, but lucky to see 3 these days. I did a factory reset after updating but it has absolutely hit battery life. Relatively light use, with WhatsApp, browsing, a little Spotify, occasional Android auto, think it's time to move on to a one plus!

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Interesting that two of you mention whatsapp. Kiyoshii, you posted pictures of wakelocks and alarms, but these are related to idle usage, which is not what you're complaining about.

Maybe whatsapp is just terrible, I don't know because I don't use it (the fact that it is commonly referred to in many of the oreo problem posts I've read could just be because it's popular), but check out this article about taming background usage in Oreo: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/iH6hkq-7pCw

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Interesting that two of you mention whatsapp. Kiyoshii, you posted pictures of wakelocks and alarms, but these are related to idle usage, which is not what you're complaining about.

Maybe whatsapp is just terrible, I don't know because I don't use it (the fact that it is commonly referred to in many of the oreo problem posts I've read could just be because it's popular), but check out this article about taming background usage in Oreo: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/iH6hkq-7pCw

I'm a WhatsApp user but it uses far less battery than most of my most-used apps, such that it rarely if ever shows up in my usage statistics. I'm at 71% now after 6 hours, WhatsApp has used a whopping 0%. That being said, I checked out that link you posted, followed their suggestion for any apps that had the allow in background switch, and felt my G6 cool off in my hand in seconds. I'm really jazzed to see how this pans out for the rest of the day. I'll charge it again shortly as that's what I've been doing daily since I upgraded to make it through the back half of the day. If I make it to 11 or midnight and have more than 50% I'll call it a success.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 285554View attachment 285554

Anyone help.. Approx 3hrSoT, as opposed to 5+ before Oreo, tried factory reset, deleted Spotify, but still poor battery. Chrome seems to affect it which it didn't previous, can anyone see something obvious that I've missed?]

Same situation as me; go into Settings -> Apps and check for any that have "Allow app to run in background when not in use" and disable them. It helps, but still not getting the SoT I used to.

Screenshot_2018-06-17-14-45-34.jpg

Ian Bower

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Drain gone, it all seems back to normal.. Cleared cache on play services and chrome, uninstalled then reinstalled.. Viola! Back to normal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL