Phone on flat surface needs multi presses to get a response.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello members!

Been using this phone for awhile now and one thing is irritating me. When I lay the phone flat on my desk and try and type or click on an icon it doesn't respond. It's really bad at typing with google keyboard but that's not the only place. Menus within programs or just generally selecting a lot things is a pain.
If I pick up the phone, even a little bit.. No problem. I put it back down.. big problem.
I am using a spigen case and screen protector. Taking off the case makes no difference
What is going on?

Boight

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your patience. This was meant to go into the LG G6 forum.
While trying to figure out how to log in / link from crackberry I was searching for this issue and see it dates back to 2010 on some phones.

Apparently it's some need to have a complete circuit through your body (capacitive resistance ish) And they're right if I'm touching with two hands no problem even laying flat. one had.. flaky. i.e. sometimes it works for a letter or two then misses then reacts. :confused:

evanborkow

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Apparently it's some need to have a complete circuit through your body (capacitive resistance ish) And they're right if I'm touching with two hands no problem even laying flat. one had.. flaky. i.e. sometimes it works for a letter or two then misses then reacts. :confused:

This is not the case with my G6. I have no problem using it with one hand while on a flat surface.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think you are kind of close there. There is not a direct circuit through you (since you don't need to touch the screen to register a touch). The screen generates a magnetic field which it also senses. The presence of a conductive object (your finger) alters the magnetic field. So anything that interferes with that could affect the touch accuracy.

I can't imagine specifically what is doing this. You don't mention whether this happens on all surfaces or just in the one place you noticed it. It could be related to electromagnetic fields in that location. Also, although I have never noticed any difference, I have heard of screen protectors interfering with touch sensitivity, which could depend on their thickness. Perhaps see if it works any different with it removed. You might need a different brand.

Boight

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It doesn't matter which surface, whether it's a wooden desk or paper on the desk or a glass table top.
I guess I'll have to peel of my Spigen screen protector. I did such a nice job with it too. LOL.
Ok, yes it was the screen protector Spigen LG G6 Screen Protector Tempered Glass 2 Pack.
Now I need a new one that doesn't do this.

skidaddytn

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
FWIW- I stopped using screen protectors years ago-- gorilla glass is more resilient than you think to scratches... My last 3 phones have not had protection and have never gotten a scratch. That said, I have dropped my g6 many times and finally the screen finally did break, but I don't think a screen protector would have prevented a shattered screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy