boot loop while not plugged in (LG G6)

meatdraw

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
My LG G6 has recently started crashing and going into a boot loop. It usually crashes when firing up an app that starts media i.e. Youtube or a podcast app. It is not consistent, however, and may crash when simply scrolling through a browser.

The phone also enters a boot loop when resetting or turning the phone on.
Attempting to boot into safe mode has the same results; a continuous boot loop cycle. The boot loop is different from a regular start up. During a boot loop It will not play the animation which happens with the logo and the start up jingle does not sound.

I believe these boot loop cycles eventually end if left alone - either with the phone starts up or turns itself off. I've seen some of the cycles happen for a bout 10 minutes before turning it off myself.

These boot loops do not occur if the phone is plugged in. If I plug the phone in during a boot loop it usually starts up.

I have tried restarting, unplugged, while in safe mode and it will enter the loop.

I have done a full factory reset and have had the same results; boot loops on start up.

Some more background: About 5 weeks prior to this problem I had disassembled the phone and installed a new battery myself. It is a a 3rd party party I ordered online.

My next plan of attack is to put the old battery in the phone (it worked fine, but did not hold a charge very long) and see if the problem persists.

I would be happy to hear any other suggestions from folks. I haven't done any messing around with software, but would be into giving it a shot. I'm just not sure where to start on that front.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
These boot loops do not occur if the phone is plugged in. If I plug the phone in during a boot loop it usually starts up.

Some more background: About 5 weeks prior to this problem I had disassembled the phone and installed a new battery myself. It is a a 3rd party party I ordered online.

My next plan of attack is to put the old battery in the phone (it worked fine, but did not hold a charge very long) and see if the problem persists.
I'd say that's your best bet, and I think you'll find that you have a defective battery. Almost every time "the phone does this, unless it's plugged in", it turns out to be the battery. In your case, I suspect high internal resistance. You could try conditioning the battery (charge to 100%, keep it running until the phone shuts off, repeat twice more), but if it's anything but a good battery that was sitting on the shelf too long (the battery manufacturer may have had the battery for a while before putting it into a G6-type case and selling it to whomever you bought it from), that won't fix it.

meatdraw

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
OK! put the old battery in and it seems to be working fine after a day of use. No crashes or boot loops, so it must have been the battery. Kind of a bummer, because this battery loses juice very fast, but it's better than getting a crash during a call. Thankfully I can still return the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463