How to fix my LG G6 charging issues?

LightSpeedYT

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
I used some random quick charge 3.0 AC adapter I found on eBay for a few bucks (from China) and within 5 seconds of being plugged into my phone, the AC adapter had a loud pop so I quickly unplugged it. I smelled lots of burning as well. What is weird that it still thought my phone was plugged in, it said "slow charging" when it was completely unplugged and Ampere is reporting my phone being discharged. After plugging my phone back into my old, Samsung 10w ac adapter, it now charges a noticeable amount slower, and even after a restart, still thinks its charging even when unplugged. After taking my battery out, I noticed it was slightly inflated (however I know it was previously inflated when I checked it several days before all this) but I ended up breaking that battery on accident so I've resorted to using an eBay battery that only has like 2000mAh of charge but it's better than nothing. Anyways, yes it still has the issue where it thinks it is charging when it is unplugged and it is super annoying and also the battery charges slower than usual and drains much quicker. I was planning on buying a new battery anyways but now I am thinking that I should also purchase a replacement USB C port (about $10) but as someone who has literally no money and no job (I'm a student) I need to be wise about what to spend it on and will do anything to save those $10.

EDIT: After further testing, I have concluded that it is not a problem on the USB-C assembly. I was planning on purchasing this: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...20?hash=item1a346ddbcc%3Ag%3AAgQAAOSw6nNZqgEg but I realized that even if I completely disconnect the USB c assembly and restart, it still thinks it is charging. The only thing that stops it from "charging" is by unplugging and replugging in the battery and letting it sit. As soon as I plug it in, it will say it is charging until the battery connector is disconnected again. I believe the problem lies in the power delivery modules on the motherboard, which is something beyond my field of expertise--I work with computers, not phones.

Last edited:

Gumby1978

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
$10 USB C port? Do you mean cable? If port who would install it? Most phone repair techs could do a quick test and fix of the USB C port for $50 or so, well test maybe free. Yes most likely you shorted a connection on the port.

LightSpeedYT

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
$10 USB C port? Do you mean cable? If port who would install it? Most phone repair techs could do a quick test and fix of the USB C port for $50 or so, well test maybe free. Yes most likely you shorted a connection on the port.

No, I mean port. But read my edit, it won't really help anything I don't think. Thanks, though.

Gumby1978

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
I had something similar happen with old S6, not a 3.0 amp adapter, but phone and cable got really, really hot and started smoking. My repair guy was able to fix it $100, port is on a whole secondary card so part was $50 alone. I think these port are designed to act like fuses to the hardware.

LightSpeedYT

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
yes but why would my phone still think that it is charging when the USB c port os completely disconnected?? If I open up my phone and detach the ribbon cable for the charging port it doesn't change a single thing.

skidaddytn

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Note, that a battery is not just a battery anymore. There are lithim charging IC's present as part of the assembly. I would recommend not using that 2000mah battery and instead getting:

OEM NEW LG BL-T32 Internal Battery for LG G6 3300mAh (These can be found $10 or so on ebay)

I bought one and it works fine.

It is possible that it thinks its charging due to bad circuitry in the battery assy itself. Next change that USB board if it still doesnt fix it. After that, I'd say you are SOL.

LightSpeedYT

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
Note, that a battery is not just a battery anymore. There are lithim charging IC's present as part of the assembly. I would recommend not using that 2000mah battery and instead getting:

OEM NEW LG BL-T32 Internal Battery for LG G6 3300mAh (These can be found $10 or so on ebay)

I bought one and it works fine.

It is possible that it thinks its charging due to bad circuitry in the battery assy itself. Next change that USB board if it still doesnt fix it. After that, I'd say you are SOL.

Sorry for the late reply, but the battery that was in the phone when I plugged in the bad AC adapter is now sitting in my desk; after I had that issue I swapped that battery out for a 2000mAh battery because while I know that it doesn't have a lot of charge, it was not in the phone during the incident so it can't possibly have been affected by the damage of the bad AC adapter. However, I did buy a new battery, and instead of an OEM battery, I opted for a 3500mAh third party battery that has 24 months of warranty so it should work a little better.

On another note, while my phone is not plugged in and not charging, Accubattery is telling me that, yes, the charge current is at -187mA and it is measuring 4,166mV being delivered. However, after unplugging the battery and replugging it in, Accubattery says that it is discharging at -1,583mA, and only 3,635mV. I dont fully understand these numbers, but I'll leave it here for refrence.

Overall, The battery life is abysmal, but its not my SOT that I dont like. In fact, I think it loses just as much power when it's on, then when it's off. It loses so much power just sitting at standby, and even when fully powered off, it loses lots of power. I bet that this is a board-related issue becuase before this incident, even this bad 2000mAh battery lasted me an entire school day, reaching about 10% by the time I reached home. Now, it usually dies by noon, so I have to carry around a spare phone to use if this g6 dies. I'm hoping that a new 3500mAh battery will increase battery life, but im afraid that the battery will still lose power at an alarming rate

Last edited:

LightSpeedYT

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
Update: So if I take out the battery and replug it so the phone thinks it is actually discharging like it is supposed to, when charging my phone wirelessly, after taking it off the charger, it actually says it is discharging. So the weird error only happens when plugging it in and unplugging it using a USB-c cable. This tempts me into replacing the USB-c assembly, but I don't have a lot of money, so I am very hesitant to make the purchase

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol