I have an LG G7 ThinQ. More specifically the G710VMX. I purchased it unlocked and brought it to Tracfone, yes I use Tracfone. It worked with the original SIM card I had from another phone until it didn't, that's when the issues began. Bought a 3 pack VZW, T-Mobile, AT&T sim kit intending to use VZW because has the best service in rural areas. That sim would not work so ended up with T-Mobile sim and bad service. Assumed the phone was GSM only so I suffered. Then I tried to put in an AT&T sim to see if that would give better service and it's GSM so I thought it would work, well it doesn't. Somehow this is only compatible with T-Mobile and US Cellular which is CDMA(? since I assumed phone GSM only). Now Tracfone and T-Mobile reps both are telling me that once they switch to VoLTE the phone will no longer work, I will need a new phone. How is that possible?? I love this phone and hace read that it is capable of operating in VoLTE but the setting to turn it on is not there. And all other networks when given my IMEI tell me it's not compatible. HELP ME PLEASE, I can't afford, nor do I want, a new phone right now.
    10-17-2020 08:50 AM
    Hi there.

Sorry you are having these issues. It sounds like you got an incompatible phone. I can understand that you can't afford a new phone. But I am not sure what option you have come January. I am not in the USA so we don't have CDMA networks here. I am not sure how it works but I know it is different from GSM networks. It is best to research a secondhand or older phone before buying it to make sure of compatibility. But that doesn't help you now.

I really don't have any answer for you except to get another one if you want service after January.

Please register for an account so we can help you further. With a guest account, you can't reply. Thanks

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    10-17-2020 03:10 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Here's more information about T-Mobile's VoLTE requirement: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...d-off-january/. Unfortunately, devices that were originally from a different carrier won't necessarily be able to access VoLTE on T-Mobile.

There are still a lot of good options for inexpensive phones, either on an installment plan or buying outright. Looking on T-Mobile's site, there are a few decent phones for $10/mo or less.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-17-2020 08:58 PM
    The problem is I need to get the phone off of T-Mobile. T-Mobile sucks in my area. LG says the phone is originally from US Cellular which means it should be capable of operating CDMA. What I can't figure out is how to get it back on CDMA.
    10-19-2020 06:54 AM
    I found a way to maybe change the network settings with the "secret menu" but I have no idea what to choose... There are like 10 options, some LTE, some global, some CDMA, and a bunch of other stuff in between.
    10-19-2020 07:11 AM
    What CDMA provider are you trying to use it on? Carriers are phasing it out. Verizon no longer accepts new activation for CDMA: www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/. I'm pretty sure Sprint isn't either: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/spr...april-30-2019/. Since MVNOs like Tracfone use the towers from the main carriers like Verizon and Sprint, I doubt they'd be accepting new CDMA activations either.
    10-19-2020 12:21 PM
    Well ideally I was hoping Verizon, they have the best service in the rural areas where I live and work. But at this point I will settle for anything besides T-Mobile. They just don't have the coverage out here amd according to them my phone isn't going to work come January anyway. Btw I also discovered in that same secret menu that the VoLTE provisioning is enabled.
    10-19-2020 12:54 PM
    Sorry for all this and the 5 screen shots are probably a bit much, but will choosing any of those solve my problem at all? From what I've heard AT&T is pretty reliable around here but my phone doesn't seem to work w that SIM (the Tracfone one) either. Cricket said my phone is compatible, aren't they basically AT&T? I'm sorry I'm so confused... I just want to be able to make phone calls and not lose the call while I'm driving around for work. Oh and use my phone at my house where T-Mobile has no service.

Will my phone really not work come January?-screenshot_20201019-125643.png

Will my phone really not work come January?-screenshot_20201019-125638.png

Will my phone really not work come January?-screenshot_20201019-125632.png

Will my phone really not work come January?-screenshot_20201019-125624.png

Will my phone really not work come January?-screenshot_20201019-125619.png
    10-19-2020 01:04 PM
    I'm getting a bit confused, so let's clarify -- are you still trying to use the phone on Tracfone, but using their SIM card that accesses AT&T towers? Or are you trying to use it on AT&T's own network? Or Cricket?
    10-19-2020 01:14 PM
    I'm getting a bit confused, so let's clarify -- are you still trying to use the phone on Tracfone, but using their SIM card that accesses AT&T towers? Or are you trying to use it on AT&T's own network? Or Cricket?
    There's personal data in those screenshots such as the phone # and IMEI that deleting
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-19-2020 04:11 PM
    There's personal data in those screenshots such as the phone # and IMEI that deleting
    I'm on it ...
    10-19-2020 05:01 PM
    Ok, cleaned up, thanks @Galactic Zoo!
    Galactic Zoo likes this.
    10-19-2020 05:11 PM
    Yikes. Thanks for getting that personal data outta there. Anyway, ideally I would use the Tracfone SIM for AT&T or Verizon, but whatever I need to do at this point. Like I said I need to get it away from T-Mobile or Tracfone's T-Mobile.
    10-19-2020 08:28 PM
    You mentioned in your initial post that you ended up with a T-Mobile SIM at some point. Do you mean a Tracfone SIM that uses T-Mobile towers, or an actual T-Mobile SIM? Using a SIM from T-Mobile themselves can sometimes lock the phone to T-Mobile, in which case you'd have to talk to T-Mobile about carrier-unlocking the phone again. This was an issue with iPhones a while back, and also some Android phones, I believe.
    10-20-2020 01:19 AM
    It's a Tracfone T-Mobile SIM. LG told me at one point the phone was locked to T-MOBILE but when I contacted T-Mobile they informed me they had no record of it.
    10-20-2020 08:52 AM
    I don't know the technicalities, but I do know that carrier-specific phones (you mentioned that this phone was originally from US Cellular) can have problems accessing VoLTE on other networks, so even if you do get it working on the AT&T or Verizon Tracfone SIM, it may still not be useful for long.

What exactly do you see when you insert either of those SIMs? Do you get an error message, or just a No Signal icon in the status bar?
    10-20-2020 12:58 PM
    I actually see a signal when I put the AT&T one in but when I try to register the SIM it doesn't go thru and tells me to call customer service. They of course have no clue and they actually charged me and sent me yet another T-Mobile SIM card, smh.
    10-20-2020 03:27 PM
    Have you already tried factory resetting the phone and then trying again?

Or at least try the Reset Network Settings option first.
    10-20-2020 06:51 PM
    I actually see a signal when I put the AT&T one in but when I try to register the SIM it doesn't go thru and tells me to call customer service. They of course have no clue and they actually charged me and sent me yet another T-Mobile SIM card, smh.
    Hello and welcoming to Android Central !!!!!! Post early and post often ........

I’m the grim reaper or the voice of logic... Take your pick.....

You bought an unlocked phone, sounds like carrier unlocked and not factory unlocked based on the ability to use CDMA which typically requires that carrier to give use permission. If that’s situation, you’ve been somewhat doomed from the start.

Carriers have been slowly phasing out CDMA for couple of years but GSM is also being phased out. Because your device is a carrier orphan, and then you’re on tracfone which is a reseller, without it’s own network, there’s nobody really able to save your phone since it’s already not optimized but compromised.

Choices are:

1) move device to original branded carrier and see if VoLTE is supported on your specific device.
    2) based on your location, see which of Tracfone’s carriers has best coverage in your area, then purchase hardware from Tracfone directly so you have a return or exchange policy if coverage isn’t as promised.

3) take a deep breath and see if one primary carrier has the best coverage in your area, new deals that may offer service and device that wasn’t offered the last time you checked.

4) AT&T owns Cricket, T-MOBILE owns MetroPCS and Verizon just announced buying Tracfone and it’s other sister companies. Everything is changing with coverage, software and hardware deals now.

Sometimes you just have to start over. Remember, you can still transfer your number. Good luck.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-21-2020 10:37 AM
    Original carrier is US Cellular and they "don't offer services in my area." The device is compatible with T-Mobile (for now), Cricket, US Cellular, and Net 10 apparently.
    Is there a way to factory unlock?
    10-21-2020 03:52 PM
    Unfortunately, the only method I can think of would be to try flashing the AT&T or Verizon firmware, which would require rooting the phone. This would be beyond my scope of knowledge. You can try searching the forums at XDA-Developers.com, which is a better resource for that kind of thing.
    10-21-2020 04:20 PM
    Ok. Well idk what I'm going to do. All I know is it would be a waste of a perfectly good phone if I can't figure this out. Thank you so much for your help and your time.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-21-2020 09:06 PM
    Ok. Well idk what I'm going to do. All I know is it would be a waste of a perfectly good phone if I can't figure this out. Thank you so much for your help and your time.
    Hi welcome to AC!

I made you post owner, also moved this to LG G7 thin Q forums
    10-21-2020 09:58 PM
    I have some information that might make all of you guys happy.

I was told by Safelink Wireless that VOTLE is a function of BOTH the phone *AND* the sim card.
    Basically, if the phone itself is VOLTE compatible but the sim card is not, then the phone will be reported on their system as not compatible, and will ask you to upgrade your phone.
    However if a VOLTE compatible SIM is inserted, if the phone does in fact support VOLTE, it will then work. That's because it's provisioned on the carrier via the sim card itself.

If you purchased a sim via the "Buy your own sim" package, e.g. online or from Best Buy, etc, awhile ago, then that sim is not compatible. You simply need to call Tracphone/Safelink and ask to buy a VOLTE compatible SIM (which costs 99 cents). Then when you get it, call their tech department to have them transfer the phone service and phone number to the new SIM.

You can dial the phone's service menu and go to the VOLTE/GPRI menu and if the options are there, then the phone supports it.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-31-2020 05:13 PM