Can't change USB connection option on new LG G7

omega13lives

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a number of older posts on this exact issue with different (LG?) phones but no solution. Here is what I wrote to LG and go no satisfactory reply:

I have, now, 3 LG G7s, model TM-G710TM. I just bought a new one to replace one of the originals that has been damaged. Both of the originals are still able to connect via USB to my PC to transfer files, but the new phone is not, even after doing all the updates. It will charge using the same cable I use to connect the other 2 but does not show in Windows. Also, there is no USB connection option in the Notifications area (on any of them) and when I go into the Developer Options and select USB Connection Options, the screen pops up for 1/10th of a second and disappears so I cannot select a different option (perhaps it is on Charging only but I can't really tell, it's too fast). Oh, and this same behavior happens on ALL 3 phones regardless of whether they are connected to the USB cable or not.

Does anyone have a fix? Thanks. P.S. the original 2 phones were on Android 9 when I set them up and don't remember exactly how I did it, and now upgraded to 10, so either the USB Connection options in Dev were selectable or there was a USB connection notification that I could change. The only other option I know to try (ugh) is to reset the new phone to factory and do one update at a time and see if anywhere during that process I can change the USB connection type. Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you already try cleaning the USB port, using a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a dry toothbrush (or soaked in rubbing alcohol) to scrub the contacts?

Considering how old the G7 is (released May 2018), it's highly unlikely that your phone is "brand new." It may be new to you, but it's probably used or refurbished, which means the chance of a defect or faulty part is higher. Can you ask the seller about this?

omega13lives

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it was brand new, unopened box with the seals intact. And since the old phone is displaying the same behavior trying to select USB options, I feel this may be a software issue, but I can't seem to find anyone who has solved the problem. And at LG, and their support didn't seem to care about fixing the problem, only offering alternate solutions, none of which would allow tethering. Would love to find someone who fixed it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Refurbishers can seal a box to make it look pretty new -- was there some kind of holographic sticker that was also sealing it?

It's always possible the phone is defective. Since LG exited the mobile phone space last year, it's not surprising that their support is minimal to nonexistent.:-\ Did you check with them if the warranty is still being honored?

omega13lives

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
No I haven't checked warranty. Since I can't select the USB options on the old phone which does connect fine, I can't prove if there is a problem with the new phone and that seems to be the only issue I can see. And yes I can use the old phone for tethering if I absolutely have to, but probably never will, it just bugs me when I can't find a solution for what should be a simple issue. I don't have a SD card adapter for the PC but I might have to get one since that's where the music files are. Now I have to put them on one phone, transfer to SD, move the SD and transfer the files again. I liked LG phones but I guess I'll have to consider something else in the future.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's under warranty, then I think the phone would qualify. It could very well be a defective USB port. It's possible that the contact for charging is working correctly, but one or more of the contacts for data transfer is faulty. If this is the case, then nothing you do will fix the problem.

Pinki ParToad

Aug 10, 2022
Visit site
Same exact thing is happening with my Brand new LG Velvet and my refurbished like new lg K61 after the latest software update.
It was fine until then.
Definitely not hardware dying on both directly after the update.
No idea how to help/fix it.
You go to change it to data transfer and it flashes up and disappears before you can push the button.

If somehow it was the port destroying itself at the time of the update, why would the settings refuse to let you at least select what you want, even if it won't work?

I've seen a number of older posts on this exact issue with different (LG?) phones but no solution. Here is what I wrote to LG and go no satisfactory reply:

I have, now, 3 LG G7s, model TM-G710TM. I just bought a new one to replace one of the originals that has been damaged. Both of the originals are still able to connect via USB to my PC to transfer files, but the new phone is not, even after doing all the updates. It will charge using the same cable I use to connect the other 2 but does not show in Windows. Also, there is no USB connection option in the Notifications area (on any of them) and when I go into the Developer Options and select USB Connection Options, the screen pops up for 1/10th of a second and disappears so I cannot select a different option (perhaps it is on Charging only but I can't really tell, it's too fast). Oh, and this same behavior happens on ALL 3 phones regardless of whether they are connected to the USB cable or not.

Does anyone have a fix? Thanks. P.S. the original 2 phones were on Android 9 when I set them up and don't remember exactly how I did it, and now upgraded to 10, so either the USB Connection options in Dev were selectable or there was a USB connection notification that I could change. The only other option I know to try (ugh) is to reset the new phone to factory and do one update at a time and see if anywhere during that process I can change the USB connection type. Thanks again.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
It's not just you. I have been watching this thread for a solution and finally decided to chime in. My wife and I both have these phones and they won't communicate with a PC anymore. The phones no longer give the option to choose the connection type, they just charge. Drivers are current from LG. Nothing changed except LG issued a "patch" a few months ago for a different bug. This is a serious problem for me as I use this phone for work and need to transfer a lot of data to my PC. I'm hoping I'll be able to at least transfer the data to my new Sony phone but won't know for another week.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
It's not just you. I have been watching this thread for a solution and finally decided to chime in. My wife and I both have these phones and they won't communicate with a PC anymore. The phones no longer give the option to choose the connection type, they just charge. Drivers are current from LG. Nothing changed except LG issued a "patch" a few months ago for a different bug. This is a serious problem for me as I use this phone for work and need to transfer a lot of data to my PC. I'm hoping I'll be able to at least transfer the data to my new Sony phone but won't know for another week.

Plug your phone into your computer. Then hit windows key + r. Type devmgmt.msc what does your phone show up as? Might need to unplug and plug back in to see what shows up.

https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/VS985/Userguide/114.html

Last edited:

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't show up in the device manager. I tried this before but gave it another go right now, just in case. This wasn't an issue until the LG update in May that was issued to fix LG phones suddenly not working on TMobile networks. The update seems to have introduced this bug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11