06-01-2018 08:57 PM
27 12
tools
    Even though I would prefer LG stay away from the notch inspired design, there's still an opportunity for LG to convince me the GUY is worth me upgrading to. Here's how they can change my mind about my preconceived ideas about the G7 which I'm not really expecting much from.

Stereo speakers. This just needs to happen. The speakers on the Samsung S9+ sound beautiful. A wonderful experience every time I walked in a carrier store and spent time with it. The Pixel phones have nice stereo speakers as well as the iPhones. If LG can deliver a similar stereo speaker experience that will be a huge bonus.

An upgraded front facing camera. I mean seriously LG. How long can you expect users to be happy with having one of the worst front camera setups on a flagship year after year. It needs to be at least 8mp. It needs to be clear and deliver nice details.

A larger camera sensor than the V30. Don't get me wrong the V30 is an excellent and often overlooked camera but I believe it would've been even better with a larger sensor so the pixel size wouldn't be so small. I also would be pleasantly surprised by improved OIS which LG continues to lag behind in. Either a true to advertised Steady Record mode or just an improved OIS system in general. Along with that, 4k60fps and improved, not the gimmicky 960fps@720p, slow motion like 240fps@1080p would really make me reconsider keeping my V20.

Here's the big one: availability and pricing information at the conclusion of the launch announcement. LG is freaking notorious for standing up on stage and just kinda saying "hey we have this great device we know you'll love and we'll tell you when you can get it one day." They can't get away with that this year. I need to see 100% effort all the way through to the availability of the G7. People need to know when they can get the phone and for how much period. No more sign up pages. No more social media teases for a phone already announced. I really need to see LG grow up in this particular area for me to take them serious.

Last but not least. If LG wants to change not only my perception but the perception of many others, they need to advertise the dang phone and not weeks after the announcement but right away. They need to have displays in carrier stores just a few days after as well. Samsung and Apple continuously impress me with their availability of their products weeks before you can buy them. Last year the V30 was the complete opposite of this. LG actually missed the timeline for store availability in every single carrier store I visited last year. Every one said the same thing that LG hadn't sent them any units yet but I could order online. What? People need to be able to see the G7 right away. Get their hands on it. And LG needs to have displays set up everywhere. On TV. They've got the social media part covered actually.

But anyway, this is what LG has to do for me to forgive the notch design and consider this a serious flagship and not just another LG phone with a few spec bumps. They need to change how we perceive them. Otherwise I'll keep my V20 and wait for the Pixel 3.
    04-26-2018 10:20 PM
    What LG needs to do in my book is completely transform their approach to marketing.

Enough with drumming up hype and then failing to deliver the product before the hype settles. Ensure that the product is ready for shipment before the unveiling so that it can be shipped to stores in a matter of weeks.

This has always been LG's failure. Hype it up a few days before launch, then launch it without details on availability and then leave people in the dark until months later where by the time it's already out, people are already looking forward to the next new thing and its chief rivals would have already dropped in price.

If the G7 falls victim to the same problem, then the entire company, not just the mobile division, is seemingly oblivious to this problem.
    04-26-2018 10:51 PM
    What LG needs to do in my book is completely transform their approach to marketing.

Enough with drumming up hype and then failing to deliver the product before the hype settles. Ensure that the product is ready for shipment before the unveiling so that it can be shipped to stores in a matter of weeks.

This has always been LG's failure. Hype it up a few days before launch, then launch it without details on availability and then leave people in the dark until months later where by the time it's already out, people are already looking forward to the next new thing and its chief rivals would have already dropped in price.

If the G7 falls victim to the same problem, then the entire company, not just the mobile division, is seemingly oblivious to this problem.
    Yep I completely agree. That's why I said no more sign up pages. If anything they need to have preorder pages only this year. We'll see if they can get over the hump next week.
    04-26-2018 10:54 PM
    Yep I completely agree. That's why I said no more sign up pages. If anything they need to have preorder pages only this year. We'll see if they can get over the hump next week.
    The phone needs to be available ASAP

The S9 has been out for a while now and we're going into the flurry of new phone launches soon. LG needs to make sure the G7 gets into stores soon.

If they fail again, they'll be overtaken by said phones, especially the much-hyped OnePlus 6. I personally have a disdain against OnePlus but the one thing they can do is actually generate enough buzz and as of late, actually get phones into people's hands. LG feels like OnePlus during the invite era.
    RaRa85 and Morty2264 like this.
    04-26-2018 10:57 PM

The S9 has been out for a while now and we're going into the flurry of new phone launches soon. LG needs to make sure the G7 gets into stores soon.

If they fail again, they'll be overtaken by said phones, especially the much-hyped OnePlus 6. I personally have a disdain against OnePlus but the one thing they can do is actually generate enough buzz and as of late, actually get phones into people's hands. LG feels like OnePlus during the invite era.
    Yes, the phone needs to be available as soon as possible. LG is, in my opinion, an underrated platform with awesome devices with such potential; but their marketing and awareness leave much to be desired which uktinately hurts the phones. Hopefully this year LG will do really well. I'm rooting for them!
    RaRa85 likes this.
    04-29-2018 02:56 PM
    Yes, the phone needs to be available as soon as possible. LG is, in my opinion, an underrated platform with awesome devices with such potential; but their marketing and awareness leave much to be desired which uktinately hurts the phones. Hopefully this year LG will do really well. I'm rooting for them!
    Yep yep. It will all unfold on Wednesday. Can't wait to see if LG grows up or more of the same from them. Feature wise though the G7 is shaping up into a really nice device.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-29-2018 03:27 PM
    Yep yep. It will all unfold on Wednesday. Can't wait to see if LG grows up or more of the same from them. Feature wise though the G7 is shaping up into a really nice device.
    Can't wait to see what happens on Wednesday!
    RaRa85 likes this.
    04-29-2018 03:59 PM
    I'm wondering if I should get the G7 or the S9+.

Decisions, decisions...
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-29-2018 08:30 PM

Decisions, decisions...
    That's how it goes in the smartphone world!
    RaRa85 likes this.
    04-29-2018 08:57 PM

Decisions, decisions...
    S9+ is available now, we'll find out on Wednesday when the G7 will be available, or maybe not. Who knows when they'll announce availability of the G7, LG usually poops the bed on availability.
    04-30-2018 06:49 PM
    So like I said, I'm watching LG closely with this one to see if they can finally grow up. Already I'm finding that no one has a specific time as to when the G7 will be announced. There's no placeholder teaser on their website to let consumers know something is coming stay tuned or anything. So I'm not optimistic that this will be a new LG way of doing things. I hope they prove me wrong.
    04-30-2018 08:27 PM
    can we stop making the notch a thing? the only people who care are tech obsessives who have probably never even used a phone with a notch.

tech blogs like the verge and even AC knows this gets you people riled up which adds to their click revenue. how else do you explain how many worthless articles they've had asking what people think about notches.

this is really getting ridiculous. even if companies give you a way to hide it people still complain.

This rant isn't directed at anyone in particular just what I'm seeing on all the tech blogs lately.
    tadpoles likes this.
    05-04-2018 02:49 PM
    Has anyone seen any commercials yet for the G7? Still no pricing and availability info for most carriers yet. LG hasn't grown up yet and I'm not sure they will at this point.
    05-06-2018 08:09 PM
    Has anyone seen any commercials yet for the G7? Still no pricing and availability info for most carriers yet. LG hasn't grown up yet and I'm not sure they will at this point.
    June 1st availability on Verizon and Sprint with pre order from May 24th. T-Mobile just announced they will get in spring but no concrete date. Yeah pricing still not announced.

It's like LG asks carriers what features they want, let them decide price, availability everything. They do what carriers want not what's good for users or what users want.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    05-06-2018 08:42 PM
    June 1st availability on Verizon and Sprint with pre order from May 24th. T-Mobile just announced they will get in spring but no concrete date. Yeah pricing still not announced.

It's like LG asks carriers what features they want, let them decide price, availability everything. They do what carriers want not what's good for users or what users want.
    I think the G7 is already DOA unless something changes

LG doesn’t seem interested in selling phones it seems
    bhatech, RaRa85 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-06-2018 08:43 PM

Sad unfortunately. I'm going to check out what HTC has in store first and then I might just get the V30 as my last LG device.
    05-06-2018 09:05 PM
    Sad unfortunately. I'm going to check out what HTC has in store first and then I might just get the V30 as my last LG device.
    There’s apparently a V35 rumored as an AT&T exclusive.

If this is true, I’m going to question LG’s strategy since I’ve never seen a phone designed specifically for a single carrier in years
    05-06-2018 09:11 PM
    Exactly. It looks great too and I'm assuming it has the upgraded front facing camera and newer chipset otherwise why bother a whole year later and when they already have the V30? I'm waiting to see how that unfolds too but Evan Blass did tweet that a while ago except for the AT&T exclusive part so it could be true.

If this is true, I’m going to question LG’s strategy since I’ve never seen a phone designed specifically for a single carrier in years
    05-06-2018 09:19 PM
    And once again in typical LG fashion the G7 was announced and almost already forgotten. No real concrete release dates. No working units in carrier stores. No advertising. So done with LG. They aren't even really pushing for it Instagram as heavy as they did in the past. Good luck LG.
    05-15-2018 09:10 PM

I've never seen a OP phone in person. I've also never seen a G6 (other than my own of course) or V30. Only the older V20 and V10's. Forums act like a company like OP is exploding. I have yet to see one of their products in person.
    05-21-2018 07:34 AM
    Pretty sure the G7 is DOA, zero marketing like always and tuff competition already killed it
    RaRa85 likes this.
    05-21-2018 06:32 PM
    Pretty sure the G7 is DOA, zero marketing like always and tuff competition already killed it
    I like the OnePlus 6 better too. I could get by without the wide angle camera and manual controls for video in the native camera app.
    05-21-2018 06:36 PM
    I like the OnePlus 6 better too. I could get by without the wide angle camera and manual controls for video in the native camera app.
    Opencamera have some nice manual control, although i rarely use phone camera, as i have the D850
    RaRa85 likes this.
    05-21-2018 06:43 PM

The Google pixel, pixel 2 and now the upcoming 3 are all on Verizon exclusively.
    05-30-2018 06:25 PM
    The Google pixel, pixel 2 and now the upcoming 3 are all on Verizon exclusively.
    You can buy them unlocked, so you aren't forced to get them on Verizon
    RaRa85 and bhatech like this.
    05-30-2018 06:32 PM
27 12