Here is the G7 ThinQ

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The notch MIGHT be physically separated from the LCD panel (I'm not sure about this) so technically you can actually fully disable the notch.. just like the V20's 2nd screen. The portrait mode feature is cool while still retaining the wide angle lens. Nice to have the headphone jack still there with a Quad DAC. What do you think about it? I think they should release an update for people to re-map the Google Assistant feature though.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're already on the V30, don't bother. If coming from the G6 or earlier, it's a no brainer.

Snapdragon 845 and 6GB RAM + new GPU.. plus LCD display so no burn-in or blue shift. Plus the size is a little more narrow and compact. The front camera is now finally 8MP and low-light camera feature is improved.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Snapdragon 845 and 6GB RAM + new GPU.. plus LCD display so no burn-in or blue shift. Plus the size is a little more narrow and compact. The front camera is now finally 8MP and low-light camera feature is improved.
6GB? The video said 4GB.

Plus everything you said is in my book not a big enough reason to spend for the upgrade. The 835 on the V30 can still handle anything you throw at it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
One word. Meh

The phone looks alright and it does many things we’d have expected but LG still doesn’t get launches.

There’s still no launch info yet. Maybe it’ll be out tomorrow (hopefully) but if LG mucks this one up again, it will once again be under appreciated

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
6GB? The video said 4GB.

Plus everything you said is in my book not a big enough reason to spend for the upgrade. The 835 on the V30 can still handle anything you throw at it.

There's two models 4GB 64GB or 6GB 128GB

Also the LCD display has the brightest screen at 1000 nits, plus it cannot get screen burn-in which I prefer. Also, they added a power button on the side plus the speaker is 40% louder, there is a sound chamber to increase the sound and vibration.. I'm hearing the sample and it sounds excellent. The AI button might be useful and they might give the option to re-map it. The 8MP front facing camera does make a difference to people who like to take selfies, plus new bokeh mode without the need for telephoto lens. The G7 also has Quad DAC plus DTS surround, headphone jack now back on the bottom of the phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Also the LCD display has the brightest screen at 1000 nits, plus it cannot get screen burn-in which I prefer. Also, they added a power button on the side plus the speaker is 40% louder, there is a sound chamber to increase the sound and vibration.. I'm hearing the sample and it sounds excellent. The AI button might be useful and they might give the option to re-map it. The 8MP front facing camera does make a difference to people who like to take selfies, plus new bokeh mode without the need for telephoto lens. The G7 also has Quad DAC plus DTS surround, headphone jack now back on the bottom of the phone.
Again, from the V30 point of view on paper, in my opinion it's not worth it. You did ask for our opinion/comments.

To me burn in is irrelevant. I've never had burn in. My 6 year old S3 has no burn in, and I won't start worrying now.

The increased contrast on an OLED makes the need for a brighter screen in sunlight less needed, but LG is not there yet with Samsung. They do make very good LCDs though. The iPhones and V20 had the best LCDs I've seen (LG made ones).

The speaker is irrelevant to me. It's still not stereo, and I rarely use my speakers at max volume anyway. 50% is almost always good enough. So the speaker isn't attractive to me. And from the impression of the reviewer of it is tuned for bass lovers which I am not.

The Quad DAC is an irrelevant point because the V30 also has it.

As I said, if you already own the V30 there's not much of a reason to upgrade. The only upgrades are the RAM, Proc, and the speaker.

This is essentially the Note 8 vs S9+ in LG clothing. There's really not much difference to make it a compelling choice, that I'll be just as happy to just get the cheaper last year's version. It is better in some ways true, but considering the price tag, that marginal difference isn't worth it if you ALREADY OWN a V30.

That said, as in my first post, if you are coming from anything else LG than a V30, like a G6 or G5, it's a no brainer to get this instead.

Again this is my opinion. If you want to buy it, go ahead. It's your money. All I'm just saying is that if you're coming from a V30, don't go complaining that it didn't wow you.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Just watched a couple of videos on my break and I'll consider this device. Like Daniel Bader said, I'm cautiously optimistic. I also want to see if the new HTC device comes to the states.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

Is two models available in US? Or it's regional only. The battery size is down fall, only 3,000.

Last edited:

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
They are down to just 107 degrees for the wide angle lens now. Ruining one of LG's best features.

For comparison,
V20: 135 degrees wide
G6: 125 degrees wide
V30: 120 degrees wide
G7: 107 degrees wide

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a nice phone but unfortunately I think LG will be late again. ( I had LG V30 and really like the phone)
1. No release date yet again (I don't know why LG always announced the phone with pre-production software and no release date) Big Company like Apple , Samsung , You can pre order the phone within 3-4 days and the phone will ship in 2 weeks.
2. Upcoming Oneplus 6 ( Oneplus will announce the phone on May 16 and you can buy the phone right away if you have chance to go to pop-up shop and I think you can pre order the phone after announcement and the phone will ship within 1 week.
3. 3000mah is looking small than competition.

I really like the phone and may buy one but I think this phone will be forgotten again.

tale 85

May 24, 2016
Visit site
It's an interesting phone. The big temptation for me is the audio. One of my biggest disappointment on my G6 is the speaker. But then again it replaced a Moto X Pure Edition with great stereo speakers.

I think I'm going to have to visit a store this year to do some side by side comparisons. I almost jumped on the S9+ for the size and stereo speakers, then heard about the G7 (I'm going omit the that other Thin.. K) would have some sort of "BoomBox" thing which everyone assumed would be stereo. Now that I've seen it, at least in a video, it's intriguing. I'm waiting for a few more reviews to come out.

Anyway. I've got a few issues to deal with. I'm really disappointed with LG, my G6 might finally get Oreo in a few weeks, maybe. The "Launch" of this G7 was, at best, pitiful. I got one email with the date, no link to a live stream, when I did find one, it was 9to5 Google wandering around the display phones. From what I got, LG wasn't really enthusiastic about this launch. No release date, no pricing information, no specific pricing, not even a suggested price. The tech media devoted exactly half a day to coveage.... there were more articles about the 128/256 S9 than there were about the G7.

So will I buy one?? Probably
I like flat screens and I like LCD, if the brightness is there, I'm in. If the audio is what they claim, I'm in. Am I going to be first in line, not a chance. Not after the $150 price drop on the G6 hit a month after I bought mine. Sometime around July somebody is getting my money, probably LG/T-Mobile. But, a lot can change between now and then.

onesojourner

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I would like to have a good DAC in a phone. Everything else about this phone is mediocre at best. Would it have been that hard to toss a 4000mah battery in there? Maybe an industry leading camera? Guaranteed updates for 3 years after release? These companies need to do something interesting. You can add a dragonfly to most phones, We are not going to suffer through the rest for that.

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Overall it sounds like a really good phone, a great phone actually. The thing that kills it for me is the smaller battery. Had it been a 3500-4000mah battery I would have been sold on it. I literally would have bought it but long SoT battery life is one of the most important things to me in a phone. I just don't understand why battery life\usage isn't important for most manufacturers.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They are down to just 107 degrees for the wide angle lens now. Ruining one of LG's best features.

For comparison,
V20: 135 degrees wide
G6: 125 degrees wide
V30: 120 degrees wide
G7: 107 degrees wide

You should thank the people that kept complaining about distortion on the wide angle lens, I was fine with it. At least it's a 16MP wide angle so not all is lost.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The 3,000 mAh battery is a deal breaker for me.

Guess what, battery size will decrease in the future as optimization and efficiency goes up. iPhones have 1800 mAh batteries but they're known to have very good battery due to optimization (same with RAM optimization). I had a Galaxy S7 Active with a 4000 mAh battery.. a smartphone lovers dream right? Wrong, the phone was thick as a brick and the battery life was average, still unreliable battery. BTW AMOLED screens eat more battery when displaying white pixels, LCD screens are known to be more efficient in comparison (I'm also speaking from experience with AMOLED vs LCD, I feel like LCD uses less battery though people think otherwise).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Overall it sounds like a really good phone, a great phone actually. The thing that kills it for me is the smaller battery. Had it been a 3500-4000mah battery I would have been sold on it. I literally would have bought it but long SoT battery life is one of the most important things to me in a phone. I just don't understand why battery life\usage isn't important for most manufacturers.

Again, I'm trying to say the Snapdragon 845 and new Android Oreo will outperform its predecessor due to much higher optimization and more efficient chip. You can have a phone with a 4000 mAh battery but without optimization, there's no point. I bet it is more efficient than a Galaxy S7 Edge with a 3500 mAh battery, or possibly even the Galaxy S7 Active with 4000 mAh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670