Here is the G7 ThinQ

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The Note 8 has a 1000nit capable screen too. It's not like most people always run at full brightness. Not sure as well if it works like other devices where true max brightness is reachable only on limited outdoor mode.

I mean, it's pretty easy to know that a super bright display + a tiny capacity battery = super short battery life. I don't care if the display is 1,000 nits or 600 nits. Brightness levels always negatively impact battery life.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I mean, it's pretty easy to know that a super bright display + a tiny capacity battery = super short battery life. I don't care if the display is 1,000 nits or 600 nits. Brightness levels always negatively impact battery life.

Except it won't make a difference between two phones with the same battery capacity and hardware. By your argument, this will last shorter than a Galaxy S7/S8/S9 which also had 3000mah battery because it's screen is brighter. Which is false because the screen isn't actually used at a brighter level, just on the 3min overdrive mode. On regular use it will last close to any other phone with the same battery capacity and comparable chipset.

A bright display only affects battery more than a dimmer display if you actually set both on their max brightness. A G7 user who keeps his screen at 300nits brightness will have the phone last about as long as say, any other SD845 phone with an LCD screen at 300nits, even if the G7 can reach 1000. The max brightness of the screen doesn't matter in taking expected battery life into account because the phone can't actually use the max brightness it's capable of. Also some reviewers already noted that on regular use, the G7's screen actually doesn't get brighter than other phones on normal usage where there's not enough UV to trigger superbright mode, but max brightness would hover around 500nits like everybody else, meaning it won't matter.

Sure more brightness=less battery life, but only if you were actually able to use more brightness. But you're not, so the impact isn't as big as you make it out to be. The actual optimization of the software will have a bigger effect.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Except it won't make a difference between two phones with the same battery capacity and hardware. By your argument, this will last shorter than a Galaxy S7/S8/S9 which also had 3000mah battery because it's screen is brighter. Which is false because the screen isn't actually used at a brighter level, just on the 3min overdrive mode. On regular use it will last close to any other phone with the same battery capacity and comparable chipset.

A bright display only affects battery more than a dimmer display if you actually set both on their max brightness. A G7 user who keeps his screen at 300nits brightness will have the phone last about as long as say, any other SD845 phone with an LCD screen at 300nits, even if the G7 can reach 1000. The max brightness of the screen doesn't matter in taking expected battery life into account because the phone can't actually use the max brightness it's capable of. Also some reviewers already noted that on regular use, the G7's screen actually doesn't get brighter than other phones on normal usage where there's not enough UV to trigger superbright mode, but max brightness would hover around 500nits like everybody else, meaning it won't matter.

Sure more brightness=less battery life, but only if you were actually able to use more brightness. But you're not, so the impact isn't as big as you make it out to be. The actual optimization of the software will have a bigger effect.

1. LG's software is nowhere near optimized well enough to get great battery life.
2. The display gets 1,000 nits for 3 minutes at a time, but it'll drop back to 600-700 in bright sunlight. Again, that will deplete the battery quickly.
3. The display in the G7 is QHD at 6.1". The S9/S8/S7's display is only 5.8".
4. You can argue with me all you want, but the battery life will be terrible. Anyone who's been following cell phone technology in the last decade will know this.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. LG's software is nowhere near optimized well enough to get great battery life.
2. The display gets 1,000 nits for 3 minutes at a time, but it'll drop back to 600-700 in bright sunlight. Again, that will deplete the battery quickly.
4. You can argue with me all you want, but the battery life will be terrible. Anyone who's been following cell phone technology in the last decade will know this.

1. The LGv30 lasts longer than the Pixel 2XL on a smaller battery actually on rundown tests with screen on for entire duration, so LG is pretty good at optimization.
2. ONLY in direct sunlight. Majority of the cellphone through the day, the phone screen is actually turned off, and most people are indoors when using the phone for extended periods of time.
3. Yeah, but different tech so different battery consumption. I just threw them around due to similar battery size.
4. I have been following cellphone tech since 2005 with Symbian and I know that battery size will not be the determinant of whether a phone will have bad battery life or not. Personal experience alone shows that my S9 with a bigger 5.8inch screen and smaller battery at 3000mah lasts as long on a single charge with my S7 Edge with it's 5.5inch and 3500mah battery on the same setup on their best days. I can't compare presently because obviously in it's last days the S7 Edge's battery wasn't the same anymore. I compared it to the screenshots from 2 years ago of GSAM on my S7 Edge. The S9's screen also goes up to 1000nits under direct sunlight based on reviews (although for a shorter time I think, between one to two minutes).

I'm not saying you're wrong. We can't tell yet. But to say that something will have worse battery life due to smaller battery paired with bright screen ONLY is false because there are a number of real life examples that contradicts your claim.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
1. The LGv30 lasts longer than the Pixel 2XL on a smaller battery actually on rundown tests with screen on for entire duration, so LG is pretty good at optimization.
2. ONLY in direct sunlight. Majority of the cellphone through the day, the phone screen is actually turned off, and most people are indoors when using the phone for extended periods of time.
3. Yeah, but different tech so different battery consumption. I just threw them around due to similar battery size.
4. I have been following cellphone tech since 2005 with Symbian and I know that battery size will not be the determinant of whether a phone will have bad battery life or not. Personal experience alone shows that my S9 with a bigger 5.8inch screen and smaller battery at 3000mah lasts as long on a single charge with my S7 Edge with it's 5.5inch and 3500mah battery on the same setup on their best days. I can't compare presently because obviously in it's last days the S7 Edge's battery wasn't the same anymore. I compared it to the screenshots from 2 years ago of GSAM on my S7 Edge. The S9's screen also goes up to 1000nits under direct sunlight based on reviews (although for a shorter time I think, between one to two minutes).

I'm not saying you're wrong. We can't tell yet. But to say that something will have worse battery life due to smaller battery paired with bright screen ONLY is false because there are a number of real life examples that contradicts your claim.

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Great sorry but no headphone jack.. the usonic ear buds are still ear buds.. using a dongle is annoying and will reduce audio quality. HTC wonders why sales are plummeting, maybe it's because people are mad about the 3.5mm jack.

HTC sales have been plummeting way before they got rid of the headphone jack where have you been? lol HTC hasn't been really successful since 2012. And people are still buying iPhones regardless of the loss of a headphone jack so I think that's a non-issue. Personally though I would like for them to have it but if they instead give me some great headphones I don't feel like it's so bad in the end. LG G6 and V30 still retained the headphone jack but those phones aren't selling well so it's not a matter of "Jack or no jack".

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

The LG V30 has a 3300mah battery the same as the Note 8 and even smaller than that of the S7 Edge but it lasts longer than it... You know why? Because it's software is optimized. The V30 has one of the best battery life of any flagship phone and it doesn't even have a 4000mAh battery. Why? Because of optimization. For you to say LG has terrible optimization makes me question have you ever even used a recent LG flagship device? And if so for how long? Everyone that I see that talks about the V30 says it runs almost flawlessly (maybe a hiccup when launching the camera or something minor like that) and has excellent battery life. (For a phone that has a 6in. P-OLED display and only a 3300mAh battery) The battery comparisons are already on YouTube if you don't believe me. Also Pocketnow reviewer Jaima Rivera has already did a comparison between the S9 and the G7 and even thought they have similar battery sizes and bright displays the G7 undoubtedly has better battery life for him. Why? Because of SOFTWARE OPTIMIZATION.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Here, the Android Authority review is out. They have the battery score a 7.5 of 10. Average. A little over 4 hours of SOT. Average for that size battery. Not bad. Average. I'll say it again, it depends on user case. I'm good with 4 hours SOT and a lot of people are, too. If you need more, look elsewhere. It doesn't mean it's a bad phone.

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g7-review-860652/

The battery life got the lowest score in that review. It's a terrible battery. A phone that size should not have average battery life.

This is what they say about the battery:
Regardless, the G7 ThinQ can last a full day but only into the early evening. It’s not going to get you into the late night hours without a recharge unless your usage is kept fairly light. If you’re a big mobile gamer or you stream a lot of content on your device, expect to charge the G7 ThinQ at least once throughout the day.

I will be looking elsewhere.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The LG V30 has a 3300mah battery the same as the Note 8 and even smaller than that of the S7 Edge but it lasts longer than it... You know why? Because it's software is optimized. The V30 has one of the best battery life of any flagship phone and it doesn't even have a 4000mAh battery. Why? Because of optimization. For you to say LG has terrible optimization makes me question have you ever even used a recent LG flagship device? And if so for how long? Everyone that I see that talks about the V30 says it runs almost flawlessly (maybe a hiccup when launching the camera or something minor like that) and has excellent battery life. (For a phone that has a 6in. P-OLED display and only a 3300mAh battery) The battery comparisons are already on YouTube if you don't believe me. Also Pocketnow reviewer Jaima Rivera has already did a comparison between the S9 and the G7 and even thought they have similar battery sizes and bright displays the G7 undoubtedly has better battery life for him. Why? Because of SOFTWARE OPTIMIZATION.

The V30 has a P-OLED display, the same display in the Pixel 2 XL, which also has fantastic battery life. The display in the G7 is an LCD. There's a huge difference between the two.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The LG G7 has one of the worst battery life on that list. The only device that it has better battery life than is the LG G6.

The LG G7 has one of the worst battery life on that list. The only device that it has better battery life than is the LG G6.

It's what's expected from a battery that size. Same with the S9 and the S8 that I'm currently using. It works for me and many others.

Cheers.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It also has one of the smallest batteries on that list. So it's to be expected to be on the lower end.

In the end battery life is not terrible. It's as expected with a phone of that battery size. The only reason the S9 outlasts it is because they used an LCD screen.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The V30 has a P-OLED display, the same display in the Pixel 2 XL, which also has fantastic battery life. The display in the G7 is an LCD. There's a huge difference between the two.

If you didn't know this let me inform you... The typical Amoled panel consumes more power than a typical LCD panel... And that still doesn't explain how the S7 Edge (bigger battery and smaller display) gets worse battery life than the V30. It's optimization...