First things first, let me just say that the G7 was mostly what I had expected. Some were good additions like the resonance chamber and the improved FFC, while others are disappointing, like a smaller than usual battery.

However, even if it becomes a solid Galaxy S9 etc. alternative, the phone needs to be in store shelves as soon as possible.

The last LG phones have had terrible launches. The V20 was revealed a day before the iPhone and came into stores after nearly a month. The G6 had an awkward quirk where the featureset was drastically different depending on region and the V30 had the same awful launch as the V20.

LG needs to make sure the phone gets into stores soon and word-of-mouth spreads real soon if they want to even have a hope of turning around their mobile fortunes. So far? Looks like they are oblivious yet again as there’s still no launch info and pricing to come of yet. Who knows? Maybe it will be tomorrow? Maybe it will be a month from now?

I hate to see LG fall so far from grace, but we need to wait and see...
    jhilker likes this.
    05-02-2018 11:24 AM
    Well they're not off to a great start already since no price and carrier information was provided. If they can't provide that by the end of the week it'll probably be more of the same. They just didn't do anything that moved me with the G7. Kudos for the front facing camera upgrade though. But no mention of 4k60fps. Same sensor as the one used in the V30 rather than increasing the sensor size if you want to stay at 16mp. Smaller battery. Eh.
    05-02-2018 11:29 AM
    Well they're not off to a great start already since no price and carrier information was provided. If they can't provide that by the end of the week it'll probably be more of the same. They just didn't do anything that moved me with the G7. Kudos for the front facing camera upgrade though. But no mention of 4k60fps. Same sensor as the one used in the V30 rather than increasing the sensor size if you want to stay at 16mp. Smaller battery. Eh.
    Yeah, it was honestly meh.

I like the speaker design but I still would have preferred a larger battery because I use headphones.
    05-02-2018 11:35 AM
    They're totally going to release G7 "S" version with a bigger battery.
    05-02-2018 11:40 AM
    Found this on slash gear, not sure how accurate it is:

https://www.slashgear.com/lg-g7-thin...cing-02529356/
    05-02-2018 01:51 PM
    Found this on slash gear, not sure how accurate it is:

https://www.slashgear.com/lg-g7-thin...cing-02529356/
    Seems to be the case after reading some others
    05-02-2018 06:48 PM
    They're totally going to release G7 "S" version with a bigger battery.
    The better reThinQ that strategy.
    05-02-2018 06:56 PM
    I don't understand why Samsung and LG can't/won't release phones with a 4000 or 5000 mAh battery. If Asus can do it why can't they?
    05-02-2018 11:19 PM
    I don't understand why Samsung and LG can't/won't release phones with a 4000 or 5000 mAh battery. If Asus can do it why can't they?
    Different philosophy?
    05-02-2018 11:26 PM
    Well on a head to head comparison, the ASUS Max Pro (5000mah) has a smaller screen (6inch) than the S9+ (6.2inch) on a bigger body (159x76x8.5mm vs 158x73.8x8m5mm) so obviously more space. The camera module also looks to be smaller, no stereo speakers, less hardware stuff in there (Samsung has more sensors to stuff in), plus after the Note 7 debacle I really don't expect Samsung to stuff the thing tight with a battery.

On the G7 side, size is even more of a consideration, as it is only at 153.2x71.9x7.9mm with a bigger screen (6.1in).

Basically LG and Samsung sacrificed the battery for a smaller foot print packed with more features. I'm not even sure how big the DAC on the S9 and G7 are. Specs show the S9 is capable of 32bit audio output.

The screen sizes dont really mean much ij relation to body size.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2018 12:19 AM
    Different philosophy?
    Yeahs obviously but do they think customers don't want longevity?
    Well on a head to head comparison, the ASUS Max Pro (5000mah) has a smaller screen (6inch) than the S9+ (6.2inch) on a bigger body (159x76x8.5mm vs 158x73.8x8m5mm) so obviously more space. The camera module also looks to be smaller, no stereo speakers, less hardware stuff in there (Samsung has more sensors to stuff in), plus after the Note 7 debacle I really don't expect Samsung to stuff the thing tight with a battery.

On the G7 side, size is even more of a consideration, as it is only at 153.2x71.9x7.9mm with a bigger screen (6.1in).

Basically LG and Samsung sacrificed the battery for a smaller foot print packed with more features. I'm not even sure how big the DAC on the S9 and G7 are. Specs show the S9 is capable of 32bit audio output.

The screen sizes dont really mean much ij relation to body size.
    If the S9+ can do 3500 mAh it should be able to do 4000 mAh and if Samsung had to slightly increase the phone's body to accommodate a larger battery what customers woul complain? I seriously doubt the majority would.
    05-03-2018 05:24 AM
    Yeahs obviously but do they think customers don't want longevity?If the S9+ can do 3500 mAh it should be able to do 4000 mAh and if Samsung had to slightly increase the phone's body to accommodate a larger battery what customers woul complain? I seriously doubt the majority would.
    As I already said, after the Note 7 debacle Samsung seems to be reticent to slap in really large batteries. Considering sizes, the 'small' S8 and S9 could fit the 3500mah battery from the S7 Edge, or a little smaller like 3300mah. History indicates that from the original Galaxy S to the Note 7,battery size was increasing yearly for Samsung. But it stopped and regressed with the S8 generarion. So you have to consider that. It's unlikely Samsung will ever maximize battery like they used to, due to the Note 7 debacle, at least in the foreseeable future.
    05-03-2018 05:33 AM
    Almost a good phone, battery is totally crap, when you pay for what suppose to be the best, there should be no comprises, unfortunately all phones has some.

No price, no availability, probably regional restrictions as well, awful battery, and nothing really innovative or exciting.

G7 won't stand out of the crowd, it's already bested by all high ends phones, and in my opinion, the P20 Pro is only phone of 2018 that worth buying, that juicy 4000mah..
    05-03-2018 06:26 AM
    As I already said, after the Note 7 debacle Samsung seems to be reticent to slap in really large batteries. Considering sizes, the 'small' S8 and S9 could fit the 3500mah battery from the S7 Edge, or a little smaller like 3300mah. History indicates that from the original Galaxy S to the Note 7,battery size was increasing yearly for Samsung. But it stopped and regressed with the S8 generarion. So you have to consider that. It's unlikely Samsung will ever maximize battery like they used to, due to the Note 7 debacle, at least in the foreseeable future.
    Samsung did a lot of research and development after the Note 7 debacle and I completely comprehend their caution but I'm hopeful that we see better battery life in their new devices in the next year, no matter how they choose to achieve it. I hope they make it a priority.
    05-03-2018 08:19 AM
    Pretty sure the S8 active has a 4000 mAh battery though. But it is a bigger/thicker phone too.
    05-03-2018 08:21 AM
    Pretty sure the S8 active has a 4000 mAh battery though. But it is a bigger/thicker phone too.
    I think we can count that on the fact of the bigger footprint allowing a bigger battery.
    Samsung did a lot of research and development after the Note 7 debacle and I completely comprehend their caution but I'm hopeful that we see better battery life in their new devices in the next year, no matter how they choose to achieve it. I hope they make it a priority.
    From what I'm seeing in the past couple of years since the S7s, Samsung seems to have hit a sort of sweet spot (for them not us) in terms of battery size. They kept the battery at the same size at around 3000mah and relying on the increasing chip efficiency to extend battery life instead of increasing the battery size as well, which would have been better to do both.

Anyway, in LG's case, the G7 looks to me to be the 'S upgrade'. Just a refresh upgrade of the G6 to something better in processing but not radically different. Unlike the change from the G5 to G6. From what I can see it's basically what if we put the compress the V30 to a smaller body and upgrade certain areas to 2018 levels.

I'd expect the bigger changes next year.
    05-03-2018 08:35 AM
    the phone needs to be in store shelves as soon as possible.
    I agree with this. Let's look at the Moto Z series. The 3+ months difference between announcement and sell date was huge, and probably what killed a lot of sales.
    05-03-2018 09:39 AM
    Looks like June 1st release date, at least they didn't wait 2 months before release

I may pick up one from T-Mobile even though I hate the crappy carrier models. Would have preferred the US unlocked models, but the Samsung and LG US unlocked phones get updates later than carrier versions, go figure.
    The only turn off so far is the small battery size, and based on my experience LG is not great at optimization like say we see in Sony phones or other phones which get great battery life even though smaller battery size. We got to wait and see but I'm not optimistic about battery.
    05-03-2018 09:55 AM
    I agree with this. Let's look at the Moto Z series. The 3+ months difference between announcement and sell date was huge, and probably what killed a lot of sales.
    Yep. It didn't help that Verizon got first dips much earlier
    05-03-2018 10:52 AM
    3000 mAh battery?
    No thanks.

Plus not a fan of the LG skin either.
    Rest of the stuff is pretty good though. I had the V30 and liked it a lot for the wide angle camera and audio. Looks like they have improved the single speaker and also improved the FFC. But I really didn't get as good pictures with the rear cameras compared to my Pixel 2.

If I come across a used one at a good price I might try it, otherwise I am staying put with my P2XL.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    05-04-2018 09:48 AM
    3000 mAh battery?
    No thanks.

Plus not a fan of the LG skin either.
    Rest of the stuff is pretty good though. I had the V30 and liked it a lot for the wide angle camera and audio. Looks like they have improved the single speaker and also improved the FFC. But I really didn't get as good pictures with the rear cameras compared to my Pixel 2.

If I come across a used one at a good price I might try it, otherwise I am staying put with my P2XL.
    Yeah I don't blame you.
    05-04-2018 09:51 AM