LG G7 vs HTC U12+

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I've used the V30 on T-Mo, and call quality hasn't been great, nor has signal strength. I've never had full bars, even at home, and I'm always told that I'm echoing on voice calls. Headphone audio is unsurpassed, though, which is important to me. Even so, I'm selling the phone.

Haven't experienced that with my V30

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No new features? How do you know this already? I know we like LG phones but you haven't even given the U12+ a chance and it hasn't been officially announced yet.

If there were new features, they would have said it. There's only the squeeze feature, no audio improvement, nothing new really.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The G7 has bezels. The bottom bezel for example and the bezel created by the notch. And the HTC U12+ will most likely have a tweeter and woofer set up just like the previous phone (sound coming from the earpiece and the bottom speaker) So sound will be coming towards you. Now that versus the G7's putting the phone on a table is arguable as to which is better (personally I like to hold my phone and listen to videos but the Boombox feature can be good for listening to music). The G7 has a lead in audio overall though especially with the headphone jack. (Though I heard the USonic headphones that come with the U11 and probably the U12 are amazing and can only be done through the USB Port for it's technology) And the U12 will most likely also support HDR content. But there is something that you didn't mention. Faster updates. The U12 will most likely be getting faster updates than the G7 (look at the track record for each previous phone) The G6 is still on Nougat while Oreo 8.0 and even 8.1 has been out for months. If the phone is working perfect out of the box then fine, but if you may be having small problems with the phone it may not be addressed as fast on the G7.

Who cares about updates, 99% of the time it does not improve performance. It's about what they bring to the table, the G7 offers something new like BoomBox sound plus a Quad DAC with a 3.5mm jack. Who cares about USonic ear buds, they are still ear buds, you can have a very cheap $30 phone with a real over the ear headphone and it will sound better. 2018 and has nothing new to offer.. might as well get a U11 or U Ultra because it's basically the same. Just get a Galaxy S8 or S9 at this point especially with the price point they are proposing.

G7: BoomBox sound chamber, Quad DAC audio with 3.5mm jack, 16MP wide angle camera, wireless charging, price is $749.99 (full price)

HTC: No wireless charging, no headphone jack, price is $800 for the 64GB U12+, or closer to $850 for the 128GB edition, camera shutter lag (according to android police preview)

In terms of looks, the HTC looks better but if you look at the back, it oddly resembles a V30. I am not trying to be a biased fanboy of LG but just look at the basic comparisons, I mean it's simple!

Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/23/htc-u12-hands-bigger-better-just-bit-weirder/

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
If there were new features, they would have said it. There's only the squeeze feature, no audio improvement, nothing new really.
But you said that before the phone was formally announced is what I was saying. Plus the camera system looks to be improved at least and offers slow motion at 240fps1080p and 4k60fps both of which the G7 don't seem to offer as of now. Also HTC does offer rich audio recording which most manufactures besides LG don't even bother with.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Who cares about updates, 99% of the time it does not improve performance. It's about what they bring to the table, the G7 offers something new like BoomBox sound plus a Quad DAC with a 3.5mm jack. Who cares about USonic ear buds, they are still ear buds, you can have a very cheap $30 phone with a real over the ear headphone and it will sound better. 2018 and has nothing new to offer.. might as well get a U11 or U Ultra because it's basically the same. Just get a Galaxy S8 or S9 at this point especially with the price point they are proposing.

G7: BoomBox sound chamber, Quad DAC audio with 3.5mm jack, 16MP wide angle camera, wireless charging, price is $749.99 (full price)

HTC: No wireless charging, no headphone jack, price is $800 for the 64GB U12+, or closer to $850 for the 128GB edition, camera shutter lag (according to android police preview)

In terms of looks, the HTC looks better but if you look at the back, it oddly resembles a V30. I am not trying to be a biased fanboy of LG but just look at the basic comparisons, I mean it's simple!

Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/23/htc-u12-hands-bigger-better-just-bit-weirder/

G7 doesn't have stereo speakers I hold my phone when watching a video I don't put it on a table so I would like the sound to come towards me like on the U12+ and their Boomsound speakers are 30% louder than before. Also the G7 will not be supported as quickly for OS updates. HTC track record proceeds itself with the U11 being one of the first phones updated to Oreo compared to the G6 which hasn't even seen Oreo yet for some people and it's about 6 months old. Also the U12+ will most likely last longer battery life wise compared to the meager 3000 mAh in the G7. To each their own. I'm not getting either because I'm dissapointed in the flagships this year. They gave the G7 a bulimic battery capacity and the U12+ has poor distribution. I'll wait till next year when phones have fingerprint sensors in the displays.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
G7 doesn't have stereo speakers I hold my phone when watching a video I don't put it on a table so I would like the sound to come towards me like on the U12+ and their Boomsound speakers are 30% louder than before. Also the G7 will not be supported as quickly for OS updates. HTC track record proceeds itself with the U11 being one of the first phones updated to Oreo compared to the G6 which hasn't even seen Oreo yet for some people and it's about 6 months old. Also the U12+ will most likely last longer battery life wise compared to the meager 3000 mAh in the G7. To each their own. I'm not getting either because I'm dissapointed in the flagships this year. They gave the G7 a bulimic battery capacity and the U12+ has poor distribution. I'll wait till next year when phones have fingerprint sensors in the displays.

According to previews, the battery lasts an entire day. I've had a phone with a 4000mAh battery, though it's nice it adds weight and bulk. LG emphasises on thin and light, that's what their whole G series was about (they were the first to do small bezels). Also, with Snapdragon 845 + Android O, battery life will be no problem. And let's not forget, they needed room for that sound chamber which I'm willing to trade battery life in for an outstanding speaker. Compare with a Samsung speaker, it's embarrassing. Do you guys forget that Apple iPhone 8 has only a 1800mAh battery but the battery lasts all day typically? Plus it's using LCD and it's proven that, despite what people think, AMOLED eats up more battery: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/should-you-buy-oled-laptop/ ... I can also speak from experience, I've noticed IPS LCD phones do better with battery life than AMOLED.

Again, not trying to be a fanboy but speaking from experience, optimization and processor size/type make more of a difference than actual battery size. BTW the S7 Active (4000mAh) battery was mediocre, the S6 Active (3500mAh) battery life was terrible after 8 months in. The phones were thick and heavy as a brick. No thanks, I'll take 3000mAh.

I'll probably not get the G7 but I'd definitely pick it over HTC due to the lower price and tons of useful features. I'm still happy with my V20 which has been over 1.5 years now and I don't see myself getting a phone for a while because there's nothing enticing on the market today besides LG (Galaxy S9: too boring, nearly identical to the S8, Huawei: banned in the US, plus no headphone jack, OnePlus 6: also very boring and uninspiring, no micro SD, Chinese spyware, Motorola: come on now! I don't need to say anything).

Last edited:

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
According to previews, the battery lasts an entire day. I've had a phone with a 4000mAh battery, though it's nice it adds weight and bulk. LG emphasises on thin and light, that's what their whole G series was about (they were the first to do small bezels). Also, with Snapdragon 845 + Android O, battery life will be no problem. And let's not forget, they needed room for that sound chamber which I'm willing to trade battery life in for an outstanding speaker. Compare with a Samsung speaker, it's embarrassing. Do you guys forget that Apple iPhone 8 has only a 1800mAh battery but the battery lasts all day typically? Plus it's using LCD and it's proven that, despite what people think, AMOLED eats up more battery: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/should-you-buy-oled-laptop/ ... I can also speak from experience, I've noticed IPS LCD phones do better with battery life than AMOLED.

Again, not trying to be a fanboy but speaking from experience, optimization and processor size/type make more of a difference than actual battery size. BTW the S7 Active (4000mAh) battery was mediocre, the S6 Active (3500mAh) battery life was terrible after 8 months in. The phones were thick and heavy as a brick. No thanks, I'll take 3000mAh.

I'll probably not get the G7 but I'd definitely pick it over HTC due to the lower price and tons of useful features. I'm still happy with my V20 which has been over 1.5 years now and I don't see myself getting a phone for a while because there's nothing enticing on the market today besides LG (Galaxy S9: too boring, nearly identical to the S8, Huawei: banned in the US, plus no headphone jack, OnePlus 6: also very boring and uninspiring, no micro SD, Chinese spyware, Motorola: come on now! I don't need to say anything).

Reviews have already came out saying the G7 is only slightly better than the S9 when it comes to battery life. That's dissapointing. The S9+ has better battery life. The G7 can only do so much when it comes to optimization also. And HTC has the better speakers for me. I don't watch videos while the phone is on a table so....

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
HTC U12+: NO FM radio support (requires headphone jack for it to work),

Actually this is false. I owned Samsung dumbphones that had FM radio without needing headphone jacks. They had the antenna coild in the phone backplate. It's simply up to the manufacturer to implement that.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually this is false. I owned Samsung dumbphones that had FM radio without needing headphone jacks. They had the antenna coild in the phone backplate. It's simply up to the manufacturer to implement that.

The U12 doesn't have FM radio. Honestly, they had no reason to remove the headphone jack, there was nothing significantly better or convenient to replace it. Ear buds are ear buds. Bluetooth is not new and isn't better. They emphasize on the phone's appearance.. just like the Pixel 2 which sold terribly. They will end up like the Essential phone, RIP. All just because of not including the most simple thing, trying SO hard to be "cool" like Apple, they end up destroying themselves.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I was only referring to the fact that you said the radio requires a headphone jack.
The U12 doesn't have FM radio. Honestly, they had no reason to remove the headphone jack, there was nothing significantly better or convenient to replace it. Ear buds are ear buds. Bluetooth is not new and isn't better. They emphasize on the phone's appearance.. just like the Pixel 2 which sold terribly. They will end up like the Essential phone, RIP. All just because of not including the most simple thing, trying SO hard to be "cool" like Apple, they end up destroying themselves.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the HTC will perform better, maybe have a better overall camera, but the LG will have better sound, and probably a better screen. People can complain all they want about LG UI all they want, but I like it, and Sense UI has gotten stale AF. HTC may win performance, but G7 will be a better all around device.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
6 year HTC user and I'm ditching them for LG because HTC abandoned high end audio. The G7 has a better headphone output than everyone else by miles. The 12 doesn't even have a jack and "no thank you" to bluetooth audio.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have to say the G7 has my crappy headphones sounding pretty nice. The three sound balance profiles are even noticeable with Bluetooth headphones, and that's nice because I was under the impression that the quality sound stuff would only work on wired headphones.

mike146

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I now own G7 and live it. Sound blows HTC away. you can say all you want about stereo and sound coming at you, but that was all BS. they haven't had Stereo since the 8 or 9. now they have two speakers, but more of a bass and treble speaker set up. And on a phone speaker and how all, does that really matter? The G7 manages to get bass going pretty well...sound is very natural.

Even when holding in hand or sideways to watch videos. Sound is even better when flat on a desk or table. I always enjoyed the sound from my HTC m8 and 10, but this LG G7 really is way ahead of both. And light years better than Samsung or apple, of which my family has both.

Everyone will find the sound subjective, but for me...no going back.

icetink

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had the G7 since June 1.

- I agree, the loudspeaker sounds fantastic.
- The 3.5mm audio jack with a DAC sounds incredible with triple driver IEMs. No phone comes close.
- I really like the wide angle camera
- I dislike the photo processing, especially for skin tone and detail, but the ability to shoot RAW is awesome. The manual controls are great too. Autofocus isn't as fast as my S7 edge.
- battery life is average, but it supports wireless charging, and wired charging is very fast. I still would have prefered 3500mAh or more

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE