G7 backlight bleed at navigation bar

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So I have my G7 and have small light bleed at the bottom of the phone between home button and multi tasking button (see pic). I had not seen this earlier but came across this thread on Reddit and then behold saw on mine as well. Once I saw it not able to unsee it . Also, it can be seen easily in daylight, normal light against a light background like white. It's not that it's only seen in a very a dark room or something like that.

Looks like many units are affected, may be a particular batch has this issue. But either way hopefully they fix this in newer units.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg7/comments/8nuhqx/please_report_if_you_have_backlight_bleed_or_not/

6f71ae747fa0f64efc43c81fbe71301c.jpg

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was one of the lucky ones. My G7 does not have the light bleed issue. I also saw that Reddit thread and was worried my unit would suffer the same fate.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah unfortunately for me I returned my BOGO units to T-Mobile yesterday itself since didn't want to deal with all the EIP and monthly credits nonsense (luckily got away from being charged restocking fee). I picked up brand new one locally from Craigslist for $550 from a T-Mobile employee who bought it via T-MOBILE LG partner program. So probably not straight forward to swap. Will most likely hit up LG customer care sometime next week and see if they can arrange a swap. I got the receipt from TMobile employee but still I expect I have to go thru bunch of headache if I got to exchange.
I was one of the lucky ones. My G7 does not have the light bleed issue. I also saw that Reddit thread and was worried my unit would suffer the same fate.

Last edited:

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Only thing that I'm somewhat concerned about now is battery life. Mine has been less than stellar, but I know I have to give a few cycles to settle in.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Only thing that I'm somewhat concerned about now is battery life. Mine has been less than stellar, but I know I have to give a few cycles to settle in.
Oh really? Mine has been not that bad. I have been using it constantly from today morning and still at 60% now. SOT of 3 hours 10 minutes till now, that's pretty good comparing with my other phones.

I have been very happy with battery life on SD 845 phones this year.

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome. For some reason my Google Play Services is eating a chunk of my battery. Also, I noticed that LGs launcher is also somewhat power hungry compared to other phones I own.

I think things will settle down a bit after a few charge cycles.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Damn that light bleed is irritating me to no end now and another part (my fault) is that I can't exchange directly with T-Mobile. Liking the phone a lot other than screen issue, hopefully LG warranty/customer care takes care of it and swaps the device.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
what is the cause of this because some apps have a loading screen and the light bleeds terribly on my G6.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
what is the cause of this because some apps have a loading screen and the light bleeds terribly on my G6.
Don't about G6 but at least on G7 looks to be some kind of manufacturing issue for a particular batch of phones I'm guessing. May be they didn't fit it properly or something, pretty much every report of G7 light bleed is at the same spot between home button and multi tasking button.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have it too. But my battery life has been spectacular so I don't want to return it for another unit. I'll wait a year and see what the battery is like then and possibly do a swap at that time.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Luckily, I don't have it. My G7 was bought from Carphone Warehouse here in the UK - unlocked.

Sorry to hear for everyone who does. And hope you can swap yours!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have my G7 and have small light bleed at the bottom of the phone between home button and multi tasking button (see pic). I had not seen this earlier but came across this thread on Reddit and then behold saw on mine as well. Once I saw it not able to unsee it . Also, it can be seen easily in daylight, normal light against a light background like white. It's not that it's only seen in a very a dark room or something like that.

Looks like many units are affected, may be a particular batch has this issue. But either way hopefully they fix this in newer units.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg7/comments/8nuhqx/please_report_if_you_have_backlight_bleed_or_not/

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180602/6f71ae747fa0f64efc43c81fbe71301c.jpg

What model G7 do you have? Maybe we can pinpoint which particular model is affected. These minor defects happen with ALL phones, even Samsung sometimes having flaws on their AMOLED displays. I guess it really depends on which batch you get. You can always return it and get a better one, carrier stores are usually good with that depending on which carrier you have.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the V20 and don't have the LCD bleed issue, but I've heard some people had it especially on the G5. Possibly a manufacturing minor issue they overlooked.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just turned on high contrast option and for now I just ignore the bleed since it doesn't look that bad on the black navigation bar. I would have exchanged but since I bought off craigslist I can't walk into to store and exchange. LG already rejected 2nd year promise warranty saying they only do that for devices bought directly from authorized retailers and not Craigslist even though I showed them original receipt shared by the owner (my name doesn't match on receipt). May be I could try exchanging as part of standard one year warranty but not sure if they create problems there as well since it was bought from Craigslist.

For now I don't want to deal with not so great LG support, I'll just manage with high contrast theme which hides the bleed well enough.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the V20 and don't have the LCD bleed issue, but I've heard some people had it especially on the G5. Possibly a manufacturing minor issue they overlooked.

If you've ever taken a modern smartphone apart, esp if you've replaced a screen, you'll see how easy it is for this to happen in the manufacturing process. These things are packed so impossibly tight that just a minor variance in tolerance can cause certain parts to push on other parts, and next thing you know you have light leaking.
They're designed not to have this, and most don't, but it's easy for it to happen in most modern phones, which is why we see it happen in so many different models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non