New LG user. A few questions.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I just unpacked my first ever LG device - the G7 ThinQ! (previously an S7E owner). I have a few questions:

1. How do I remove app icons from the home screen? On Samsung, there was a trash bin appearing at the top. Here, I have to swipe to the second screen as only there I can remove apps. Also, when I attempt to remove an app icon, it deletes the whole app, while in reality all I want it the app icon to be removed, but not the actual app.

2. How do I remove notifications from the Settings menu (the "Bell" icon on the top right corner of Settings)? I have 4 notifications for things I need to set up (Fingerprint, MyBody, etc) and for some reason, even when I click on them, the orange notification number doesn't disappear. I don't want to set up all of those, but it seems I need to in order to remove their notification. Not a big deal, just messes with my OCD.

3. How do I disable Fast Cable charging? On Samsung, when I went to Battery, there was an advance setting option that allowed me to enable/disable it. Here, I can't find anything when I go there. I don't want to ruin the battery by fast charging it.

4. Is there a menu button? On Samsung, I had a menu option. Here, there are only the home screens and no menu.

I really hope that you can help me. I really like the phone, but the experience is so different than Samsung, that I am really confused about some things.

Thanks and appreciated.

Last edited:

Tim Thompson1

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello, not sure if I can answer all of your questions.
I have a S7Edge and this phone.
I was able to get/change my app drawer icon.
You remove apps the same as other Android devices.
I have only spent a couple off hours with this phone.
It appears you can only have 2 home screens.
The S7E takes better photos.
Not sure if this is a keeper.
Battery life has not been an issue yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-05-09-26-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-05-09-26-13.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 66

kurpaige

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would try any other phone over the S9 if they care about the camera. iPhone X and the Pixel 2 XL are the only comparible cameras. The G7's battery is better so far over the S9 (my reason to try something else, S9 battery not good for me) and the audio with wired headphones is amazing. The pitchers are perfect for my one or two facebook post and the wide angle shots are more usable to me than any phone out there. All of these phones are worth owning but comparing two side by side for the best pitcher possible it will never be a LG phone.

Oh and you can easily have more one home screen.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just unpacked my first ever LG device - the G7 ThinQ! (previously an S7E owner). I have a few questions:

1. How do I remove app icons from the home screen? On Samsung, there was a trash bin appearing at the top. Here, I have to swipe to the second screen as only there I can remove apps. Also, when I attempt to remove an app icon, it deletes the whole app, while in reality all I want it the app icon to be removed, but not the actual app.

2. How do I remove notifications from the Settings menu (the "Bell" icon on the top right corner of Settings)? I have 4 notifications for things I need to set up (Fingerprint, MyBody, etc) and for some reason, even when I click on them, the orange notification number doesn't disappear. I don't want to set up all of those, but it seems I need to in order to remove their notification. Not a big deal, just messes with my OCD.

3. How do I disable Fast Cable charging? On Samsung, when I went to Battery, there was an advance setting option that allowed me to enable/disable it. Here, I can't find anything when I go there. I don't want to ruin the battery by fast charging it.

4. Is there a menu button? On Samsung, I had a menu option. Here, there are only the home screens and no menu.

I really hope that you can help me. I really like the phone, but the experience is so different than Samsung, that I am really confused about some things.

Thanks and appreciated.

1: By default, you're using the LG home launcher, there's no app drawer. You can go to settings and use the LG launcher with the app drawer (settings > display > home screen > select home).

2. To block notifications, long press the notification from the notification bar and then you can block the notification.

3. I don't think you can turn that off, the only way is to use a regular slow charger block. I wouldn't worry, USB C is very efficient when charging, it's highly regulated and the temperatures are much lower than the old micro USB charger. By default, the LG charger is using Quick Charge 2.0, however you can buy a Quick Charge 3.0 charging block as well.. so don't be worried about that.

4. To customize the nav buttons, go to settings > display > home touch buttons.. here you can customize it. Android got rid of the menu button a very long time ago, menu buttons by default are within the app itself (it is displayed as 3 dots).

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
1: By default, you're using the LG home launcher, there's no app drawer. You can go to settings and use the LG launcher with the app drawer (settings > display > home screen > select home).

I have mine on Home and I still can't figure out how to add and remove app icon. (But I don't quite understand what Home, Home App Drawer, Easy Home all mean)

Swipe screen effect:
Slide, Breeze ect.

Do you know what that does?

Thanks

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have mine on Home and I still can't figure out how to add and remove app icon. (But I don't quite understand what Home, Home App Drawer, Easy Home all mean)

Swipe screen effect:
Slide, Breeze ect.

Thanks

You can't add or remove icons from the home screen because you're on Home. It's like the iPhone where all your apps are on the home screen. You need to be on Home and app drawer if you want to add or remove icons. That gives you a separate location where all your apps live and then you can add icons to your screen or remove the ones you don't want.

https://youtu.be/vaDmr5WFAgA

I mean it tells you what each home setting does in the description when you select what you want. You could always try them each out.

Swiped effect is for when you swipe the home screen. It's the animation that happens when you go to the next screen. If you select a different one it'll give you a preview of the animation before you exit the setting so you can see what they each look like.

Is this your first Android phone? I'm curious.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Swipe screen effect:
Slide, Breeze ect.

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to mention. You have to download the "LG Home with App Drawer".

Go to 'Settings' > then select 'General' > then select 'About Phone' > then select 'Update Center' > then select 'Apps Update'... Here you can download and update LG apps (including the LG Home with App Drawer).

LG Home: More similar to Apple's iPhone iOS with no app drawer. Homescreen layout style is similar to iOS. All apps are already on the homescreen.

LG Home with App Drawer: Classic LG homescreen just like other Android phones with an app drawer. You can move apps from the app drawer and drag it to the homescreen. Apps are all inside the app drawer. By default, the Google Play Store will add newly installed apps onto the homescreen (you can disable that).

Pro tip: If you drag an app onto another app, you can create a folder (a little tricky though).

Hope that helps!

Screenshot of the 'Apps Update' menu (click on the download or update button to download or update the app)
Screenshot_2018-06-24-09-21-59.jpg

By the way,

Swipe screen effect, slide, breeze, ect.: Those are animated transition effects seen when you swipe left and right on the home screen.

Last edited:

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
The cameras in every Samsung phone up to and including the Note 8 were garbage in my opinion. They never captured movement or any kind of motion well and only took good photos when the subject was completely still. My G5, G6, and now G7 take far better pictures.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is this your first Android phone? I'm curious.

No, but I have always had BB and I am more used to it. You can add and remove icons from screen, eailsy. I am lost on this phone. And BB set up the phone so well, I don't even know what to do, first. lol

I will go back to BB but my old phone died before the new one was out so I couldn't wait. And I didn't want to buy the older model.

I ... Feel .... So ... Disloyal 😮🙄

lol

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No, but I have always had BB and I am more used to it. You can add and remove icons from screen, eailsy. I am lost on this phone. And BB set up the phone so well, I don't even know what to do, first. lol

I will go back to BB but my old phone died before the new one was out so I couldn't wait. And I didn't want to buy the older model.

I ... Feel .... So ... Disloyal ????????????

lol

You can add and remove icons easily on the G7 as well, as long as you're using home and app drawer, not home.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The cameras in every Samsung phone up to and including the Note 8 were garbage in my opinion. They never captured movement or any kind of motion well and only took good photos when the subject was completely still. My G5, G6, and now G7 take far better pictures.

Agreed, this is coming from a guy that used Samsung for over 6 years. I feel like LG, although focus speed is slower, has more details in the photo (especially when you look closer/zoom in). Although larger megapixels doesn't actually equal better photos but I prefer the 16MP as opposed to the standard 12MP (I like to take nature/outdoor photos and zoom/crop.. with a 12MP it loses detail). The telephone 2nd lens is junk on Samsung, just zoom in.. there's no noticable difference...

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, this is coming from a guy that used Samsung for over 6 years. I feel like LG, although focus speed is slower, has more details in the photo (especially when you look closer/zoom in). Although larger megapixels doesn't actually equal better photos but I prefer the 16MP as opposed to the standard 12MP (I like to take nature/outdoor photos and zoom/crop.. with a 12MP it loses detail). The telephone 2nd lens is junk on Samsung, just zoom in.. there's no noticable difference...

Yes, the zoom isn't great. Not happy with that.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I ... Feel .... So ... Disloyal 😮🙄

lol

Welcome to LG! Hopefully you will learn to love it!

Tips:
To use "LG Knock" double tap the screen when the screen is off.. this is a better and faster way to turn on the screen. If you double tap the navigation bar up top, you can turn off the screen (doesn't matter what app you're in).

Screenshot_2018-06-24-18-08-51.jpg

If you're using an LG app (like SMS Messaging, Contacts, stock Email, etc., pinch the screen to quickly increase or decrease the font size.

Screenshot_2018-06-24-17-59-24.jpg

To use dual screen mode, when you're in an app, press and hold the 'recent apps' button (the square button on the bottom right of the nav keys). Then press the 'home button' (center circle button) and select the app you want. Then the screen will be split in two. (Not all apps are compatible)

Screenshot_2018-06-24-17-54-13.jpg

For 'floating calculator':

Download the LG G4 Calculator .APK and install it (must allow "unknown sources"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FwhAj65eCHpBM795gbt3jR5wlAqAkhWp/view?usp=drivesdk

Next, go to 'settings' then press 'display', then press 'home touch buttons', and then press 'button combinations'. Here you can customize the nav keys on the bottom or add additional shortcuts like Q Slide. Add Q Slide to the bottom nav keys, then press the Q Slide button and select the calculator.

Screenshot_2018-06-24-17-49-52.jpg

You can download new themes on the LG SmartWorld app, or you can download themes from the Google Play Store (some free, some paid)... themes are backwards compatible (LG G5, V20, G6, V30).

Screenshot_2018-06-24-17-58-11.jpg

Mini view: Got tiny hands? Want to use the phone one-handed easier? Try mini mode. Make sure it's on first: Go to 'settings', then 'display', then press 'advanced settings/more'. Make sure 'mini mode' is enabled. Then swipe the home touch buttons (the bottom nav keys) either left or right. You can resize the window or move it.

Screenshot_2018-06-24-18-00-21.jpg

Last edited: