Extremely Disappointing Image Quality?

Crua46

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
I received my LG G7 ThinQ yesterday and I have to say i'm extremely disappointed with the camera quality :( This is a long overdue upgrade from my LG G4 (that I sadly lost :( ) and I genuinely think my G4 took much better photos. when taking photos of people or objects close up the camera is fine, but taking a photo of the room for instance or I tried to take a photo of a bike earlier and they are all very soft and fuzzy almost smudged looking. Nothing about the picture is sharp looking. I have played about with it on manual mode to see if that helps things, but it doesn't change much. I currently have it set to take photos at 4:3 (16MP).

Can anyone tell me if i'm missing something? Can anyone show me some photos they've taken?

If things don't improve i'm genuinely thinking about sending it back, I'm not paying over £600 for something £150 can do just as good if not better.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Here's one...
840656f586f66bf72fd66f453d4b3340.jpg

Crua46

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
For example here is a photo I took of a bike earlier and this is the best out of 3. Surely this isn't right?

Attachments

• 20180606_221312.jpg
    20180606_221312.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 188

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
unfortunately i don't have anything to compare it too, my friend has a S7 edge going to compare it to that tomorrow.

I promise you. I was considering getting the G7 and after trying the s9 (which is cheaper now) I'm so glad I got the s9. The camera is great on the s9. The s7 edge is better than the LG g7

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you make sure the camera lens is clean? It's common for them to get skin oils and such on them that mess with image quality.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you make sure the camera lens is clean? It's common for them to get skin oils and such on them that mess with image quality.

This is the first thing I thought when I saw op's pic of the bike. It looks cloudy, like he smudged the camera lens. First thing I would do is gently wipe it clean with something, then try again. If it still looks that way, I would say there's something wrong with the camera and op should get the phone replaced. With a brand new release, there's bound to be some qc issues that make it to the public.

I think we've seen enough of the G7 so far to know that the op's bike pic is not representative of the quality, and is not up to expectations.

Crua46

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
This is the first thing I thought when I saw op's pic of the bike. It looks cloudy, like he smudged the camera lens. First thing I would do is gently wipe it clean with something, then try again. If it still looks that way, I would say there's something wrong with the camera and op should get the phone replaced. With a brand new release, there's bound to be some qc issues that make it to the public.

I think we've seen enough of the G7 so far to know that the op's bike pic is not representative of the quality, and is not up to expectations.

These replies are filling me with hope, going to test the camera out today, making sure the lense is definitely clean! and if no improvements going to hopefully get a replacement handset. I really really don't what to have to Give up on LG so I hope it improves!

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I promise you. I was considering getting the G7 and after trying the s9 (which is cheaper now) I'm so glad I got the s9. The camera is great on the s9. The s7 edge is better than the LG g7

The bad experience of one user isn't representative of the device overall. I have a V30 and the pictures it takes are pretty good and has been proven to go toe to toe with your precious galaxy.

Crua46

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
Okay so I've been testing out the camera today and below is an image I captured indoors in very good light on auto mode with AI off at 16MP.

Can anyone tell me if this is the same quality of their G7, as I just feel this isn't good enough. At first glance it looks okay but when you zoom in its terrible!

Im pretty sure I've seen better sample picture from this phone on youtube but its hard to tell.

Attachments

• 20180607_121158.jpg
    20180607_121158.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_2018-06-07-12-19-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-07-12-19-29.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 138

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It looks as if the G7 overprocesses the sharpness - you can get the same effect in an editor by sharpening a picture a few times. (I's not a good thing.)

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not accusing OP....I can't tell you the amount of times I see people snap photos without wiping their lens.

Second big thing is tapping the subject to get the lighting right.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure the lens doesn't have fingerprints on it? Can you check the camera settings? Is HDR on? Are there other features on like object detection? Also, check for any software updates and app updates for the camera, you could be still running a pre-production software. If all else fails, try the Google Pixel 2 camera app .apk and install it. Worst case scenario, you can take it back to the store for an exchange and explain to them your issue.

BTW where did you get your phone? Be aware, there are Chinese KNOCKOFFS on the market.. some of them look real.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the same graininess when I zoom in on my pictures. I will try to make sure the lens is clean and make sure it's in HDR mode. I can assure you mine was not a Chinese knockoff as I got a truck leaf on Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz