09-18-2018 09:37 AM
55 123
tools
    I received my LG G7 ThinQ yesterday and I have to say i'm extremely disappointed with the camera quality This is a long overdue upgrade from my LG G4 (that I sadly lost ) and I genuinely think my G4 took much better photos. when taking photos of people or objects close up the camera is fine, but taking a photo of the room for instance or I tried to take a photo of a bike earlier and they are all very soft and fuzzy almost smudged looking. Nothing about the picture is sharp looking. I have played about with it on manual mode to see if that helps things, but it doesn't change much. I currently have it set to take photos at 4:3 (16MP).

Can anyone tell me if i'm missing something? Can anyone show me some photos they've taken?

If things don't improve i'm genuinely thinking about sending it back, I'm not paying over £600 for something £150 can do just as good if not better.
    06-06-2018 06:14 PM
    Here's one...
    RaRa85 and Morty2264 like this.
    06-06-2018 06:16 PM
    This seems better quality than mine, im worried that there is possibly a fault with my handset :/
    06-06-2018 06:41 PM
    For example here is a photo I took of a bike earlier and this is the best out of 3. Surely this isn't right?
    Attached Thumbnails Extremely Disappointing Image Quality?-20180606_221312.jpg  
    06-06-2018 06:47 PM
    For example here is a photo I took of a bike earlier and this is the best out of 3. Surely this isn't right?
    Agree. Doesn't look good. Have you tried a different camera app perhaps?
    06-06-2018 07:27 PM
    good idea! i'll try that tomorrow in the day time
    VicenteAmat likes this.
    06-06-2018 07:36 PM
    good idea! i'll try that tomorrow in the day time
    Yea looks terrible. Use the s9 camera for comparison. Like night and day
    06-06-2018 07:56 PM
    Yea looks terrible. Use the s9 camera for comparison. Like night and day
    unfortunately i don't have anything to compare it too, my friend has a S7 edge going to compare it to that tomorrow.
    06-06-2018 08:00 PM
    unfortunately i don't have anything to compare it too, my friend has a S7 edge going to compare it to that tomorrow.
    I promise you. I was considering getting the G7 and after trying the s9 (which is cheaper now) I'm so glad I got the s9. The camera is great on the s9. The s7 edge is better than the LG g7
    06-06-2018 08:01 PM
    Did you make sure the camera lens is clean? It's common for them to get skin oils and such on them that mess with image quality.
    06-06-2018 08:13 PM
    For all the "glad I bought the s9" talk, I was actually more impressed by the G7 cam in a recent Forbes article;
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/.../#317cacf5a7a8
    Before the article, I was about to buy an S9 and this opened my eyes to the G7.
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    06-06-2018 08:24 PM
    Did you make sure the camera lens is clean? It's common for them to get skin oils and such on them that mess with image quality.
    This is the first thing I thought when I saw op's pic of the bike. It looks cloudy, like he smudged the camera lens. First thing I would do is gently wipe it clean with something, then try again. If it still looks that way, I would say there's something wrong with the camera and op should get the phone replaced. With a brand new release, there's bound to be some qc issues that make it to the public.

I think we've seen enough of the G7 so far to know that the op's bike pic is not representative of the quality, and is not up to expectations.
    06-06-2018 10:17 PM
    This is the first thing I thought when I saw op's pic of the bike. It looks cloudy, like he smudged the camera lens. First thing I would do is gently wipe it clean with something, then try again. If it still looks that way, I would say there's something wrong with the camera and op should get the phone replaced. With a brand new release, there's bound to be some qc issues that make it to the public.

I think we've seen enough of the G7 so far to know that the op's bike pic is not representative of the quality, and is not up to expectations.
    These replies are filling me with hope, going to test the camera out today, making sure the lense is definitely clean! and if no improvements going to hopefully get a replacement handset. I really really don't what to have to Give up on LG so I hope it improves!
    Issemann likes this.
    06-07-2018 04:31 AM
    I promise you. I was considering getting the G7 and after trying the s9 (which is cheaper now) I'm so glad I got the s9. The camera is great on the s9. The s7 edge is better than the LG g7
    The bad experience of one user isn't representative of the device overall. I have a V30 and the pictures it takes are pretty good and has been proven to go toe to toe with your precious galaxy.
    Issemann and vasekvi like this.
    06-07-2018 05:13 AM
    Okay so I've been testing out the camera today and below is an image I captured indoors in very good light on auto mode with AI off at 16MP.

Can anyone tell me if this is the same quality of their G7, as I just feel this isn't good enough. At first glance it looks okay but when you zoom in its terrible!

Im pretty sure I've seen better sample picture from this phone on youtube but its hard to tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Extremely Disappointing Image Quality?-20180607_121158.jpg   Extremely Disappointing Image Quality?-screenshot_2018-06-07-12-19-29.jpg  
    06-07-2018 07:28 AM
    Here's a few more samples...
    06-07-2018 07:38 PM
    It looks as if the G7 overprocesses the sharpness - you can get the same effect in an editor by sharpening a picture a few times. (I's not a good thing.)
    06-08-2018 02:59 PM
    I am not accusing OP....I can't tell you the amount of times I see people snap photos without wiping their lens.

Second big thing is tapping the subject to get the lighting right.
    co.ag.2005 and mwake4goten like this.
    06-09-2018 09:32 PM
    Are you sure the lens doesn't have fingerprints on it? Can you check the camera settings? Is HDR on? Are there other features on like object detection? Also, check for any software updates and app updates for the camera, you could be still running a pre-production software. If all else fails, try the Google Pixel 2 camera app .apk and install it. Worst case scenario, you can take it back to the store for an exchange and explain to them your issue.

BTW where did you get your phone? Be aware, there are Chinese KNOCKOFFS on the market.. some of them look real.
    06-10-2018 09:51 AM
    I have the same graininess when I zoom in on my pictures. I will try to make sure the lens is clean and make sure it's in HDR mode. I can assure you mine was not a Chinese knockoff as I got a truck leaf on Verizon.
    06-11-2018 07:23 AM
    where can I find the pixel 2 camera app? do you have a link? I dont see it in the app store.
    06-11-2018 09:20 AM
    I tried a few different settings. will work on trying take some pics and post, but pics I tried with cannot be posted.

in the meantime, you can try yourself.

I found the best setting to be normal camera, wide angle not as good as main lens. HDR off, ai on.

that produces the sharpest and.best quality pic that allows zooming and still keeping a sharpness.

will try in a more real life setting and.report back when I can.

But give it a try and see what you think. Shame if this camera is really that bad.
    06-11-2018 10:36 PM
    Took it for a spin at a festival at the weekend, and the results are mixed, as a whole the camera is decent (not amazing but good) but more often then not the AI cam, when taking photos of people, make the photo far too orange and over prossesed. When taking pictures of landscape etc it can be quite nice.
    It was a super sunny weekend and I'd say at least half of the 200 or so photos I took had quite bad blown out highlight.

When taking photos of sceanary I was quite dissapointed and my G4 used to do this well but the G7's photos lack detail and if it's a very green/bushy scene then its mainly just a sea of green.

Overall I'm happy enough with the camera, it proved its self in its low light shots, that I'll keep the phone but I'm still sliglty disapointed as its not the step up from the G4 I was expecting.
    06-13-2018 01:07 PM
    I've had the phone for 2 weeks now. The camera is good, but it's not great. In low-light and indoors, it's not quite as good as even my Galaxy S7 edge (focus is slower, colours are oversaturated, there is quite a delay between pressing the shutter and when it actually takes a picture, the software prefers slower shutter speeds and lower iso which doesn't work well for my uses).

The phone is fantastic overall, but it feels like a downgrade compared to my Galaxy S7 edge. Unfortunately, the camera is a deal breaker for me since I take dozens of pictures (mostly indoor, low-light) daily. If LG nailed the camera, I would be keeping the phone, but they missed the mark this time...
    06-13-2018 03:47 PM
    where can I find the pixel 2 camera app? do you have a link? I dont see it in the app store.
    Here it is. It's actually modded by a dev to work on LG. Normally you can't install other manufacturers apps.

https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2017/09/08/hdr/
    06-13-2018 10:14 PM
55 123