09-06-2018 11:29 PM
67 123
tools
    People are starting to get their phones so... Here we go. .
    EgretOwl2, gendo667 and Morty2264 like this.
    06-07-2018 09:24 PM
    Whenever I get a new device, I typically put the camera through the paces and show everyone on the forum what it's capable of. Mine arrives Saturday so I'll definitely be in this thread a lot!
    EgretOwl2 and gendo667 like this.
    06-07-2018 09:33 PM
    Here's a few....
    06-07-2018 11:42 PM
    Looking good. LG is very impressive this time around
    06-08-2018 01:45 AM
    Single flower has AI, multiple flower photo cores not
    gendo667, EgretOwl2 and shaimere like this.
    06-08-2018 09:18 PM
    I'm just so proud of LG finally stepping up their selfie game. I don't have the G7 but at least it's an option now after I tried it out today at T-Mobile. The portrait mode works so well and the details are all there without over doing it.
    gendo667 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-10-2018 06:43 PM
    Didn't get a chance to shoot under decent light but grabbed a quick vid. Surprisingly bright considering that it was actually 7:40pm and getting dark. It was too dark to get blur-free snaps on the moving koi so I'll try photos tomorrow.
    06-10-2018 10:06 PM
    Decided to see how much it could handle in terms of high movement in low light. Though this shot was blurry in point-and-shoot so I went into manual setting and a quick toggle of ISO and shutter got rid of the blur. This cam can be VERY fast and handle exceptionally low light, so don't be afraid to go manual. They've made it pretty easy and you can leave focus and white bal in auto.
    There is grain because it was 5:30am and the light was MUCH lower that the pic would have you believe. This isn't supposed to be a showcase shot. I just posted it because I'm surprised I was able to get a clean photo while they were in their early AM "feeding frenzy".
    Show off your G7 ThinQ Pictures!-20180611_054116-2.jpg

Notes abt the cam so far; reds are vibrant but accurate in manual, slightly pushed in HDR. Greens are true, not saturated like in the S9. Blue and yellow seem true so far. The cam grabs light like mad, sometimes at the cost of richness so be careful when in auto mode, which seems to be designed to make everything bright and social media-ready (not a bad thing, but not always what you want). The cam is stellar in a dimly lit room (average home environment) so pics of family and pets are captured very well. This is nice because 90% of my pics are random things that happen at home ("oh that's cute, better take a pic!")
    06-11-2018 08:10 AM
    I think I'm going to forego waiting on a future flagship and just get the G7 this weekend. I've seen some great results thus far with it and I'm really impressed by the front facing camera which I never have personally on an LG phone.
    B0WIE and Issemann like this.
    06-12-2018 10:31 PM
    Found this nice cinematic video shot with the DJOsmo Mobile 2.
    06-12-2018 10:54 PM
    I think I'm going to forego waiting on a future flagship and just get the G7 this weekend. I've seen some great results thus far with it and I'm really impressed by the front facing camera which I never have personally on an LG phone.
    I was in the same boat but I'm glad I went ahead with the G7. Had I waited, that would be 6 months or so of missing out on amazing audio, a screen that's very easy on the eyes, and an overall great experience. Then, I can upgrade in a year if I need without feeling like, "I just got a new phone a few months ago".
    Also, I prefer to upgrade when the makers are doing the major upgrades, not when they're doing the slightly updated versions of last year's phone.
    06-12-2018 11:34 PM
    I was in the same boat but I'm glad I went ahead with the G7. Had I waited, that would be 6 months or so of missing out on amazing audio, a screen that's very easy on the eyes, and an overall great experience. Then, I can upgrade in a year if I need without feeling like, "I just got a new phone a few months ago".
    Also, I prefer to upgrade when the makers are doing the major upgrades, not when they're doing the slightly updated versions of last year's phone.
    Yeah I was trying to wait it out and get a phone that I really wanted but this budget phone experiment is growing old fast mostly due to the 1.5gb of RAM. I have come to the harsh realization that it's not enough. I can't even run a music service like Spotify or YouTube Music while driving for Lyft or Uber and that's where the real issues began. So I really just need a little more right now since the things I thought were really quite basic are too much for this phone. Using the LG Aristo. I have the Galaxy S9+, V40, and Pixel 3 at the top of my list right now and I would like to keep my next phone for a minimum of two years.
    06-13-2018 06:32 AM
    Well I'm trying to make some things happen guys.
    frope01 and idon12no like this.
    06-15-2018 06:45 PM
    Well their reply if really genuine leaves the possibility open for this to be enabled. I would like to see it happen.
    06-16-2018 10:12 AM
    Good on you for trying and following up, I didn't expect anything else from twitter customer service who probably don't even know much about the phone. Inform the developer? Yeah there is one developer sitting and doing all this . Pretty sure the engineering team have their reasons for leaving this out.

Here is my guess, I'll be highly skeptical that they will enable in future updates. Rather they will use that as a feature in the next phone they will release. Hopefully, that's not the case we will see.
    06-16-2018 10:41 AM
    Tropical water lily ("Pennsylvania" species).
    It's about 7" across.
    Show off your G7 ThinQ Pictures!-20180616_144154_hdr-2.jpg
    RaRa85, gendo667, bhatech and 4 others like this.
    06-16-2018 04:50 PM
    Good on you for trying and following up, I didn't expect anything else from twitter customer service who probably don't even know much about the phone. Inform the developer? Yeah there is one developer sitting and doing all this . Pretty sure the engineering team have their reasons for leaving this out.

Here is my guess, I'll be highly skeptical that they will enable in future updates. Rather they will use that as a feature in the next phone they will release. Hopefully, that's not the case we will see.
    True I don't have a ton of confidence in LG pushing out meaningful camera updates but it would be nice to see since it's fully capable and the sole flagships without this feature in 2018. I'm tired of this "set it and forget it" mentality. There are no excuses but I'll wait and see.
    06-16-2018 05:06 PM
    It's about 7" across.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180616_144154_HDR~2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	285515
    Gorgeous shot.
    gendo667 and B0WIE like this.
    06-16-2018 05:06 PM
    It's about 7" across.

Name:	20180616_144154_HDR~2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	285515
    Wow...
    B0WIE likes this.
    06-16-2018 11:23 PM
    Well their reply if really genuine leaves the possibility open for this to be enabled. I would like to see it happen. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bf1b5a02c6.jpg
    If they do release camera updates, and I hope they do, I would rather have large stable updates than regular updates that fix one thing and break another. My main update hope is for regular security updates.
    06-16-2018 11:27 PM
    I don't know if it's the extra color of the G7 screen or what, but pictures seem way more detailed and clear than my G6 photos. I had no real complaints about photo quality with the G6, put photos of mundane things come out looking great with the G7. I don't get the reviewers' talk about the G7 being inferior to the other flagship cameras, I'm very happy with the G7 camera.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    06-16-2018 11:31 PM
    Speaking of a simple photo that looks great
    B0WIE and RaRa85 like this.
    06-16-2018 11:32 PM
    I'll give a couple examples of things I like and don't like about the auto mode. Both of these are very low light with the early morning sun peeking behind the curtains. Not nearly as bright as you'd think by the photos.
    In the first one, the cam pumps up the exposure and uses a little sharpening to make the pic, bright, interesting, and textured. And, it works.
    Show off your G7 ThinQ Pictures!-20180613_073013_hdr.jpg

In the next one, it's the same dim room and the cam grabs a ton of light, but the texture enhancement really loses the feel of the object. There's some ghosting and masking of the real texture of the object. Granted, this was a DARK room and I have never personally used a phone that could make this type of photo this bright without artifacts. I just wonder how much better it could be without the enhancement. So, I'll try it again in manual mode.
    Show off your G7 ThinQ Pictures!-20180613_073103.jpg
    RaRa85, idon12no and EgretOwl2 like this.
    06-18-2018 08:17 PM
    I'll give a couple examples of things I like and don't like about the auto mode. Both of these are very low light with the early morning sun peeking behind the curtains. Not nearly as bright as you'd think by the photos.
    In the first one, the cam pumps up the exposure and uses a little sharpening to make the pic, bright, interesting, and textured. And, it works.

Name:	20180613_073013_HDR.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	285592

In the next one, it's the same dim room and the cam grabs a ton of light, but the texture enhancement really loses the feel of the object. There's some ghosting and masking of the real texture of the object. Granted, this was a DARK room and I have never personally used a phone that could make this type of photo this bright without artifacts. I just wonder how much better it could be without the enhancement. So, I'll try it again in manual mode.

Name:	20180613_073103.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	464.0 KB 
ID:	285593
    I've been going back and forth experimenting with auto, bright, AI, and all combinations of the 3. I think AI and bright on can give nice results in dark settings, but AI oversaturation can very easily ruin what would've been really nice on regular mode.

AI murdered this rose in my opinion, for example.
    06-19-2018 12:09 AM
    I've been going back and forth experimenting with auto, bright, AI, and all combinations of the 3. I think AI and bright on can give nice results in dark settings, but AI oversaturation can very easily ruin what would've been really nice on regular mode.

AI murdered this rose in my opinion, for example.]
    I didn't expect to be a fan of the AI and it sure lived up to my low expectations. My koi looked like fireballs. I'm sure it's great for insta and such but I don't think it has much to offer to anyone who knows how to set up and edit a photo.

The auto mode is inconsistent. Sometimes great. Other times I want to tell it, "Stop trying so hard and just give me the thing I'm looking at!"

The bright /pixel binning is brilliant and gives decent photos in situations that would otherwise produce unusably dark images. One article made me laugh in that they said the S9 produced better detail in low light, but the photo they showed was so dark you'd never use it. Pixel binning reduces detail but grabs light in an incredible way. A way that you can't replicate by editing. The G7 is able to preserve memories that would get deleted on other devices.
    06-19-2018 01:05 AM
67 123