Aren't you glad LG went with LCD?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can adjust the colors on Samsung amoled displays for a few years now. You can set it any mode you want so that the colors are realistic and not saturated. In fact most phones amoled or not give you options to play with display profile/mode.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I have never liked Samsung displays. The colors are overly saturated and aren't accurate to actual colors in the real world. Add in burn in and the curved gimmick. Just not a fan.

Samsung displays when set to "basic" color profile are one of the most color accurate screens out there. They're just not set that way out of the box. In fact, when the S7 first came out, some reviews tested color accuracy and found it had the most color accurate screen bar none including LCDs when set to basic mode, right up until before the iPhone 7 came out.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Want 6gb ram. Will it work the same in US?

I loved my V20 and I have been tempted by the G7, but I've seen 3 demo phones and all 3 had SIGNIFICANT light bleed in the display. That concerns me. Plus, I would much prefer a larger battery over a "boom box" speaker, I absolutely never use my phones speaker when the phone is just sitting on a table. I'm hoping that the V40 comes with a bigger battery instead of this feature.

Regarding battery, the G7 actually outperformed the regular Galaxy S9 in terms of battery (the AMOLED screen takes up more battery life, even an LG engineer confirmed this)... With Snapdragon 845 + Android O + LCD Screen (as opposed to AMOLED), you should be fine with battery. Newer processors are smaller and more efficient, meaning significant battery life. FYI LG might be the best phone with standby time, losing 0% in an hour. (Also the myth that AMOLED saves battery just because it doesn't display black pixels is false, it consumes more battery when displaying pixels in general.. ask any display professional or engineer.. the move back to LCD on the G7 was for better battery battery life and also the ultra bright mode)

FYI the iPhone 8 has a 1,821mAh battery, while the iPhone 8 Plus has a 2,675mAh battery. iPhones are known to have one of the BEST battery life (in respect to their battery capacity) It's not all about battery size... You can have a phone with 4000mAh (in this case a Galaxy S7 Active) against a phone that has newer tech and is more optimized will easily beat that phone with a 4000mAh... We're not using the same tech 3-4 years ago.. plus 3300mAh vs 3000mAh isn't all that much, Quick Charge 3.0 will get 300mAh in 2 minutes of your time. People forget that the LG G series prides itself in being slim and small.. it actually was one of the first to have slim bezels. FYI a 4000mAh is heavy as a brick and uncomfortable and unnecessary.. honestly you'll be at 40-50% by nightfall so what's the point... The Galaxy Note 8 with 3300mAh lasted at least 8 hours while constantly running apps.. if you're spending more than 8 hours a day nonstop on a phone then there's a different issue...

"While LG is busy marketing the high brightness of the G7’s new display, the real benefit of the new MLCD+ panel is battery consumption. That’s tougher to sell to consumers with meaningful numbers, but those concerned about the combination of a high-resolution display and so-so sized 3,000mAh battery needn’t fret.

LG Display engineers told us power consumption is lower than OLED displays too, which might have been part of the decision to pick this tech over the POLED panel the company used in the V30."

The LG G7 ThinQ’s MLCD+ display technology explained
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g7-thinq-mlcd-display-861285/

LG explains why LG G7 doesn't have an OLED screen..
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/3467266-3467266

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Genuine question, can someone explain to me how "more RAM equals weaker battery life, needs extra power" is true? From my understanding of how Android works, that seems to make zero sense.

RAM needs to be powered, it doesn't run on nothing. Also more RAM equals more apps running simultaneously, which means more power consumption. Low end smartphones get pretty good battery life with a small battery because of the lower specs.. less power needed to run the hardware. iPhones have been running on weaker specs than Andriod but still gets exceptional battery life.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Regarding battery, the G7 actually outperformed the regular Galaxy S9 in terms of battery (the AMOLED screen takes up more battery life, even an LG engineer confirmed this)... With Snapdragon 845 + Android O + LCD Screen (as opposed to AMOLED), you should be fine with battery. Newer processors are smaller and more efficient, meaning significant battery life. FYI LG might be the best phone with standby time, losing 0% in an hour. (Also the myth that AMOLED saves battery just because it doesn't display black pixels is false, it consumes more battery when displaying pixels in general.. ask any display professional or engineer.. the move back to LCD on the G7 was for better battery battery life and also the ultra bright mode)

FYI the iPhone 8 has a 1,821mAh battery, while the iPhone 8 Plus has a 2,675mAh battery. iPhones are known to have one of the BEST battery life (in respect to their battery capacity) It's not all about battery size... You can have a phone with 4000mAh (in this case a Galaxy S7 Active) against a phone that has newer tech and is more optimized will easily beat that phone with a 4000mAh... We're not using the same tech 3-4 years ago.. plus 3300mAh vs 3000mAh isn't all that much, Quick Charge 3.0 will get 300mAh in 2 minutes of your time. People forget that the LG G series prides itself in being slim and small.. it actually was one of the first to have slim bezels. FYI a 4000mAh is heavy as a brick and uncomfortable and unnecessary.. honestly you'll be at 40-50% by nightfall so what's the point... The Galaxy Note 8 with 3300mAh lasted at least 8 hours while constantly running apps.. if you're spending more than 8 hours a day nonstop on a phone then there's a different issue...

"While LG is busy marketing the high brightness of the G7’s new display, the real benefit of the new MLCD+ panel is battery consumption. That’s tougher to sell to consumers with meaningful numbers, but those concerned about the combination of a high-resolution display and so-so sized 3,000mAh battery needn’t fret.

LG Display engineers told us power consumption is lower than OLED displays too, which might have been part of the decision to pick this tech over the POLED panel the company used in the V30."

The LG G7 ThinQ’s MLCD+ display technology explained

LG explains why LG G7 doesn't have an OLED screen..
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/3467266-3467266

Wrong again.....LCD is not more efficient no matter how you spin it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Wrong again.....LCD is not more efficient no matter how you spin it.

My sources: an actual test side by side with same hardware except for the display, a professional LG engineer, a display expert

Your sources: ???

"These results were clear and consistent. Going OLED decreased battery life between 10 to 25 percent, depending on load...

Why does battery life shorten? It appears that, with current OLED panels, a fully lit screen uses a bit more power than an LCD screen. Remember, there’s no backlight with OLED. Instead, each individual pixel is lit, as needed. When all the pixels are lit, they’re downing a lot of juice."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/should-you-buy-oled-laptop/

"As we mentioned before, using white pixels results in a brighter display or the ability to achieve the same brightness as a traditional panel at a lower power cost. LG Display engineers told us power consumption is lower than OLED displays too, which might have been part of the decision to pick this tech over the POLED panel the company used in the V30."

(Video at 5:45)
"... White backgrounds consume significantly more power in AMOLED displays than IPS ones since all of the sub pixels must be set to max brightness whereas IPS lighting provides consistent lighting from the backlight underneath so often manufactures will often limit the brightness of some sub pixels in these AMOLED displays to conserve battery life..."

https://youtu.be/Unry0ZDMFrQ

Again the battery life differences won't matter and will vary among smartphones, it depends on the optimization and a host of other things (for example Samsung has game optimization where it automatically reduces the video quality to save battery). The average person won't even know or notice and it might not even affect you. But it's a fact, given these people are professionals and know what they're talking about. This is not my opinion but facts I've learned from credible sources.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

My sources: an actual test side by side with same hardware except for the display, a professional LG engineer, a display expert

Your sources: ???

"These results were clear and consistent. Going OLED decreased battery life between 10 to 25 percent, depending on load...

Why does battery life shorten? It appears that, with current OLED panels, a fully lit screen uses a bit more power than an LCD screen. Remember, there’s no backlight with OLED. Instead, each individual pixel is lit, as needed. When all the pixels are lit, they’re downing a lot of juice."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/should-you-buy-oled-laptop/

"As we mentioned before, using white pixels results in a brighter display or the ability to achieve the same brightness as a traditional panel at a lower power cost. LG Display engineers told us power consumption is lower than OLED displays too, which might have been part of the decision to pick this tech over the POLED panel the company used in the V30."

(Video at 5:45)
"... White backgrounds consume significantly more power in AMOLED displays than IPS ones since all of the sub pixels must be set to max brightness whereas IPS lighting provides consistent lighting from the backlight underneath so often manufactures will often limit the brightness of some sub pixels in these AMOLED displays to conserve battery life..."

https://youtu.be/Unry0ZDMFrQ

Again the battery life differences won't matter and will vary among smartphones, it depends on the optimization and a host of other things (for example Samsung has game optimization where it automatically reduces the video quality to save battery). The average person won't even know or notice and it might not even affect you. But it's a fact, given these people are professionals and know what they're talking about. This is not my opinion but facts I've learned from credible sources.

This has been beaten to death in another thread you posted. You can't use a laptop study to qualify your points on smartphones. As for LG engineer.......of course he is going to tell you what you want to hear about LG products.

kanishkk1

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
I love the fact that they used LCD on the G7 because the OLED has burn in issues. The LCD is amazing and has perfect picture quality. LG G7 is one of the best smartphones of 2018.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I love the fact that they used LCD on the G7 because the OLED has burn in issues. The LCD is amazing and has perfect picture quality. LG G7 is one of the best smartphones of 2018.
Uh... Ok. False, false and false. That's 3 false statements out of 3 statements. We resurrected this nightmare thread to say three false things?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

RAM needs to be powered, it doesn't run on nothing. Also more RAM equals more apps running simultaneously, which means more power consumption. Low end smartphones get pretty good battery life with a small battery because of the lower specs.. less power needed to run the hardware. iPhones have been running on weaker specs than Andriod but still gets exceptional battery life.

iPhones running on weaker specs in what regard ?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
My LG V30 phone doesn't agree with you because it has burn ins all over the screen.

Burn in is possible, but it is incredibly rare. Newer OLED displays are more resistant to it and the OEMs have been using software to move the things that would normally burn in (navigation bar, status bar, clock on AOD, etc). Those two things combine to make it very difficult to cause burn in without a lot of effort trying to do so (sitting on static screens for extended periods of time at max brightness).