Aren't you glad LG went with LCD?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Want 6gb ram. Will it work the same in US?

As for LG engineer.......of course he is going to tell you what you want to hear about LG products.

As someone who uses a moto phone that has an oled screen, and reading this comical thread arguing over what is a better screen and to some it will be oled, to others LCD, I found this statement to be ludicrous.

If a LG engineer states one screen is better than the other it might be cause he knows more than you do. I say that cause LG uses both OLED and LCD on their phones (V-series OLED, G-series LCD.)

But back to the debate going back and forth, it made from some comical reading.

SteelSteve

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I've just came from a Moto Z which was amoled and had no issue to this G7 with an LCD screen again so far no issues. Both were beautiful to look at and at least to this point work well. Who cares which is "better" if you like your phone and the screen works for you its not important. I am loving my G7 regardless of if LCD is considered better or worse than amoled.

PRIVuser2018

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
I love how LG users thing all OLEDs are prone to burn in. That is not true, it's only LG OLED screens that have burn in issues. I have several devices with Samsung OLEDs that have no burn in after 4+ years of daily use.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I love how LG users thing all OLEDs are prone to burn in. That is not true, it's only LG OLED screens that have burn in issues. I have several devices with Samsung OLEDs that have no burn in after 4+ years of daily use.

Your statement about only LG OLED screen experience burn in is completely false.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
AMOLED/OLED displays are (or maybe I should say were) more susceptible to burn-ins than LCD displays...however, that difference is tiny. The vast majority of users will not experience any burn-in issues at all, and technology is improving all the time. So getting an LCD display phone just to avoid burn-ins isn’t a reasonable choice.

In terms of vividness/brightness, this is how different displays rank:

AMOLED > OLED > LCD

PRIVuser2018

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
Your statement about only LG OLED screen experience burn in is completely false.

I exaggerated a wee bit. For Samsung screens, burn in problems are very rare, and nothing more than a footnote in reviews. On LG OLEDs though, burn in is a far more common complaint, even on non-LG branded phones with LG screens like the Pixel 2XL.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I exaggerated a wee bit. For Samsung screens, burn in problems are very rare, and nothing more than a footnote in reviews. On LG OLEDs though, burn in is a far more common complaint, even on non-LG branded phones with LG screens like the Pixel 2XL.
My wife has a list of Samsung phones that would beg to differ. All the way to to the S7, all ended up with major burn in. She recently got the Note 9, and my money is on burn in again. If you use the phone a lot, it's bound to happen. For her, it's mostly keyboard shadows. For me, it would be game icons (assuming I used an AMOLED screen, still on the V20 here).

AMOLED screens may be better than they use to, but I still see burn in happen often enough that I won't willingly buy one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Unless I see numbers to support that I'm not buying it. I've had Moto, Samsung an LG OLEDs including a Pixel 2XL. In most cases burn in is the result of running a screen extremely bright which isn't good for OLED

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
My wife has a list of Samsung phones that would beg to differ. All the way to to the S7, all ended up with major burn in. She recently got the Note 9, and my money is on burn in again. If you use the phone a lot, it's bound to happen. For her, it's mostly keyboard shadows. For me, it would be game icons (assuming I used an AMOLED screen, still on the V20 here).

AMOLED screens may be better than they use to, but I still see burn in happen often enough that I won't willingly buy one.

I’m sorry but unless you always have a maximum brightness screen you won’t get burn-ins. Either that or your model is defective.

The vast majority of phone users who have AMOLED/OLED screens won’t experience burn-ins. You must simply just be unlucky. Burn-ins are a rarity.

Let’s face it, AMOLED/OLED panels are far superior to LCDs...it’s why you only see the latter on budget/mid range phones now.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Did you mean LG phones with LG displays, or phones with LG displays or LG phones with OLED displays, which would include the LG phones with Samsung displays on them?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I’m sorry but unless you always have a maximum brightness screen you won’t get burn-ins. Either that or your model is defective.

The vast majority of phone users who have AMOLED/OLED screens won’t experience burn-ins. You must simply just be unlucky. Burn-ins are a rarity.

Let’s face it, AMOLED/OLED panels are far superior to LCDs...it’s why you only see the latter on budget/mid range phones now.
She uses it primarily inside with adaptive brightness. So that wasn't part of the issue.

Because burn in is a risk, to call AMOLED displays superior is debatable. The only edge they have over an LCD is inky blacks (though LCD's are on par in moderate ambient light). Color temp, vividness, and other settings used to make them "pop" are just that: calibration settings. You can do that with an LCD screen, so it's not specific to AMOLED. I personally don't like how over saturated manufacturers make their displays. Yes, I've tried viewing them on the various display settings, but I still prefer LCD displays on the whole. Most people don't get burn in because they trade in before it's a problem. I'm not like most people, so it is definitely a concern for me.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
AMOLED displays rely on lighting up individual pixels...while LCDs rely on an LED backlight. These (and other technological stuff) mean that while LCDs consume less power and have have better white colours, AMOLEDs have better blacks, vividness and viewing angles.

It’s not just calibration settings. I have used and have mobiles that have LCDs and AMOLED displays...if you try calibrating both displays to make them as vivid as possible, the AMOLED will always be noticeably ahead in my experience.

Not getting an AMOLED because of a small risk (your opinion to the contrary) to me is like not crossing a road because you might get run over...I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've just came from a Moto Z which was amoled and had no issue to this G7 with an LCD screen again so far no issues. Both were beautiful to look at and at least to this point work well. Who cares which is "better" if you like your phone and the screen works for you its not important. I am loving my G7 regardless of if LCD is considered better or worse than amoled.

Same here. From a Z force to the G7. Cannot notice a difference; other than I can read the G7 in bright sunlight.