Double tap side-button for Lens stopped working

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
When I got the phone, the double-tap side button to launch Google Lens worked fine (albeit of questionable value.) Now I just get this error:

Screenshot_2018-06-11-15-27-04.jpg

I've done the normal clear-cache/reboot, force stop, etc. steps. (This isn't my first rodeo.)

Thoughts?

It's not a big deal, really, as it's not something I rely on or anything like that... I just found it mildly useful, and can see it being more useful down the road as Lens improves.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Solved by updating Google beta app.

Rough idea of a solution from here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/forum/AAAA8CVOtD8iORYEhfU3Y0/?hl=en

Update: it now runs without error, but you can't see anything. Very helpful ;) Still working on a real solution.

Update: it now sees things, but then can't reach google to actually look up information.

Update (hopefully the last one!): I opted out of the Google Beta program, and re-installed Google. If you've never uninstalled and re-installed Google, I'll tell you it's not for the faint of heart. For a good 1/2 hour I was sure I'd need to do a clean reset of my phone, because nothing would talk to Google... at all. Then I figured out that I needed to clear all my phone cache (not just Google) and re-boot the phone. At this point, all is good, including Lens. :)

Update (I can't believe I'm still playing with this!!!!): Lens works from within Google Assistant (there's a little lens icon) just perfectly, but the double-tap of the assistant button still doesn't work properly. I think I'll just leave it for the moment, and wait for either Google or LG updates. At the very least, you can go into Assistant and tap the Lens icon (lower right of the assistant) -- that's one tap of the button and one tap of the lens icon. So it's a pretty quick way to get into lens.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000