Just received a minor software update. G710ULM10j with a Feb 1 security patch (US unlocked version). Maybe a pie update next? Hahahaha
    03-28-2019 01:27 PM
    we can only hope
    03-28-2019 03:40 PM
    Just received a minor software update. G710ULM10j with a Feb 1 security patch (US unlocked version). Maybe a pie update next? Hahahaha
    I doubt it will happen any time soon.
    03-28-2019 08:14 PM
    That new software upgrade division are really earning their corn!

This is pretty embarrassing for LG and the reason I would never pay full price for one of their flagships, just cannot take them seriously. The G7 is still on 8.0!

https://www.slashgear.com/lg-softwar...ates-12527210/
    03-31-2019 04:18 AM

This is pretty embarrassing for LG and the reason I would never pay full price for one of their flagships, just cannot take them seriously. The G7 is still on 8.0!

not going to lie...i was hoping that announcement would change things for software updates and make LG competitive in that area. sadly they were blowing smoke....
    04-01-2019 09:30 AM
    I remember reading it has been released to carriers in the US so it could be stuck in their testing.
    04-01-2019 09:33 AM
    tmo is showing it as in testing, but thats a crappy excuse. if apple can bypass the providers, that android OEMs find a way to do the same thing.
    04-01-2019 02:43 PM
    tmo is showing it as in testing, but thats a crappy excuse. if apple can bypass the providers, that android OEMs find a way to do the same thing.
    They should be able to yes, but I doubt it will happen.
    04-01-2019 02:47 PM
    Even if they know a way to do the same thing, you have to realize that they won't do it because of contracting and stuff.
    Apple is able to do it because at the beginning, they created a demand for their device and made it exclusive. The carriers were the ones who came begging to Apple to be able to release the phone. In which case, Apple was able to dictate the terms of they can't modify software or updates come direct from Apple.
    Android OEMs on the other hand had to do thjngs to convince carriers to carry them. So they had to do things like let carriers modify the software and control the updates in exchange.
    mjl574 and aximtreo like this.
    04-01-2019 05:01 PM
    don't forget that Apple makes mostly one product and they're the only ones that make it. With Android there are dozens of different manufacturers that make an Android product Sol testing isn't all the same and rolling out is definitely not all the same as apple is. Huge differences between the two brands and also that's the reason why Apple can be quicker with updates. They control the hardware and the software which is not the same on Android.
    04-01-2019 06:47 PM

What's the percentage of all phones on 9? I'll be the number is well below 3%, so is LG any worse than the other companies?
    04-05-2019 07:58 AM
    What's the percentage of all phones on 9? I'll be the number is well below 3%, so is LG any worse than the other companies?
    i would say that because samsung has been able to get all of the galaxy 9 and 8 series phones, except for the note, LG should have been able to get the G7 and V40 updates out to everyone
    04-05-2019 10:09 AM
    The best comparison is % of 2018 flagships on 9.

S9/9+- check
    Note 9 - check
    Oneplus 6/6t - check
    P30 and mate series - check
    Honor phones - check
    Nokia - check
    Sony - check

I could go on. The thing is they see to have got worse not better with this new software division, it’s April for Petes sake. If they made the decision to hold it back till the g8 and v50 land then that is imo very short sighted. The G8 will probably cost £800 in the uk maybe more, no way I’d pay full price for an LG phone.
    chanchan05 and aximtreo like this.
    04-05-2019 03:21 PM
    in the US, it looks like they are getting pretty aggressive on the pricing for the G8, tmo is selling it for 600 i think with a trade in promotion that will take another 200 off if you have the right phone. that being said, i agree, if they are waiting on getting 9.0 out for us until after the G8 and V50 are out, that is very shortsighted. i will add that tmo is still listing 9.0 for the G7 and V40 as "in development" as of 2 min ago. very frustrating.
    04-08-2019 09:21 AM
    The best comparison is % of 2018 flagships on 9.

S9/9+- check
    Note 9 - check
    Oneplus 6/6t - check
    P30 and mate series - check
    Honor phones - check
    Nokia - check
    Sony - check

I could go on. The thing is they see to have got worse not better with this new software division, it’s April for Petes sake. If they made the decision to hold it back till the g8 and v50 land then that is imo very short sighted. The G8 will probably cost £800 in the uk maybe more, no way I’d pay full price for an LG phone.
    The best comparison would be to either ignore a question or answer it vs. throwing in conclusions not asked for!

I'll try this again with emphasis....What's the percentage of all phones on 9? I didn't say Samsung, I asked for ALL. And I'm betting that number is below three percent.

I honestly could care less what version of software Samdung or any other manufacture is running.

The G7 works quite well on 8, and as with most updates, after it is updated to 9; there will be people complaining for months. So I would prefer to get it later than early and have no (at least less) problems.

So overall, is LG doing that bad? I don't think so, and you don't care what I think and that is likewise.

And many of those updates are more dependent upon the provider and not the manufacture.
    SteelSteve and mjl574 like this.
    04-10-2019 02:32 PM
    No you are quite right the S6edge still doesn’t have pie. LG are doing ok.

I’m sorry.
    jchapman01 likes this.
    04-10-2019 03:23 PM
    So I'm curious this need for Android 9. I mean it's nice to get updates but from the limited research I've done it doesn't include any Earth shattering improvents over 8. Some cosmetic changes, not a big deal. A night time wellness mode which reduces blue light at night, the G7 already does this. Some battery improvements which may slightly improve the G7's battery life, the G7 only has a 3000 battery and at least for me does very well for all day use. I'm not saying wanting 9 is bad, but to say LG and by extension the G7 is garbage seems silly to me.
    Issemann, boo5ted and mjl574 like this.
    04-10-2019 07:57 PM
    So I'm curious this need for Android 9. I mean it's nice to get updates but from the limited research I've done it doesn't include any Earth shattering improvents over 8. Some cosmetic changes, not a big deal. A night time wellness mode which reduces blue light at night, the G7 already does this. Some battery improvements which may slightly improve the G7's battery life, the G7 only has a 3000 battery and at least for me does very well for all day use. I'm not saying wanting 9 is bad, but to say LG and by extension the G7 is garbage seems silly to me.
    There are several under the hood changes that improve performance and all that. New WiFi security protocols, new camera software capabilities, etc. Some new back end features as well that have some apps requiring Android 9 for new features (Fluid Navigation app comes to mind).

That said, Oreo is fine. As long as you're getting security updates, it should be fine. However, it takes away from LG's value where it can be priced the same as competitors that not only offer similar level products, but offer updates as well.

LG's software is ridiculously outdated as well, and I'm not talking about Android versions. Getting a 'do not remove battery while booting' warning on a phone with a non-removable battery is off putting, telling me they haven't bothered to update parts of the interface at least for the past 3 years. The last LG to have a removable battery was the G5 and V20.

If there were a car salesmen who are sell you two identical cars for the same price, but one gives you two oil change and tire replacements down the road, but the other is just you get a car, wouldn't you say the value of the car with no should be lower and not be sold at the same price? Now we look at the latest G7, which sold at a price beyond the OP6, but the OP already has gotten updates.

To me its more of you're not getting your money's worth. A phone sold has some overhead that's supposed to go to software development. It's not only the construction that you pay for. So where did that go to when no such support was received? It also doesn't look good when budget devices from all the way back to 2017 are getting Pie from someone like Samsung.

If the LG G7 was launched at 500USD, sure I would be fine with it not getting updates. But it was
    04-10-2019 10:32 PM
    The best comparison would be to either ignore a question or answer it vs. throwing in conclusions not asked for!

I'll try this again with emphasis....What's the percentage of all phones on 9? I didn't say Samsung, I asked for ALL. And I'm betting that number is below three percent.
    Why should a flagship phone like a G7, sold at launch at around $800, be compared to a BLU sold at $150 in terms of software updates? Would you say they are comparable? Or would you say a G7 should be compared to an S8/Pixel instead, since they are both flagships?

It's far more acceptable for a $150 phone to not receive updates, than an $800 one to not receive. Especially when you have mid range 2017 phones sold at $300 two years ago getting updates.
    04-10-2019 10:38 PM
    Just got another security update. Whereas I do enjoy getting updates of any kind, I still wonder what the actual roadmap is for 9.0. Do they need to get this update out first in order to prep for 9.0?
    04-15-2019 02:22 PM
    no security update for me on tmo us
    04-16-2019 03:50 PM
    Same for me.
    04-16-2019 03:53 PM
    I'm on VZW.
    aximtreo likes this.
    04-17-2019 01:24 PM
    tagged LG USA in this post when i saw it on FB G7 and 9.0-troll.jpg
    05-10-2019 04:10 PM
    tagged LG USA in this post when i saw it on FB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	303083
    T-Mobiles site shows Pie as in development. But I'm jumping ship to the Pixel 3a XL when I can.
    05-10-2019 04:14 PM
75 123