G7 and 9.0

SteelSteve

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
So I'm curious this need for Android 9. I mean it's nice to get updates but from the limited research I've done it doesn't include any Earth shattering improvents over 8. Some cosmetic changes, not a big deal. A night time wellness mode which reduces blue light at night, the G7 already does this. Some battery improvements which may slightly improve the G7's battery life, the G7 only has a 3000 battery and at least for me does very well for all day use. I'm not saying wanting 9 is bad, but to say LG and by extension the G7 is garbage seems silly to me.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So I'm curious this need for Android 9. I mean it's nice to get updates but from the limited research I've done it doesn't include any Earth shattering improvents over 8. Some cosmetic changes, not a big deal. A night time wellness mode which reduces blue light at night, the G7 already does this. Some battery improvements which may slightly improve the G7's battery life, the G7 only has a 3000 battery and at least for me does very well for all day use. I'm not saying wanting 9 is bad, but to say LG and by extension the G7 is garbage seems silly to me.
There are several under the hood changes that improve performance and all that. New WiFi security protocols, new camera software capabilities, etc. Some new back end features as well that have some apps requiring Android 9 for new features (Fluid Navigation app comes to mind).

That said, Oreo is fine. As long as you're getting security updates, it should be fine. However, it takes away from LG's value where it can be priced the same as competitors that not only offer similar level products, but offer updates as well.

LG's software is ridiculously outdated as well, and I'm not talking about Android versions. Getting a 'do not remove battery while booting' warning on a phone with a non-removable battery is off putting, telling me they haven't bothered to update parts of the interface at least for the past 3 years. The last LG to have a removable battery was the G5 and V20.

If there were a car salesmen who are sell you two identical cars for the same price, but one gives you two oil change and tire replacements down the road, but the other is just you get a car, wouldn't you say the value of the car with no should be lower and not be sold at the same price? Now we look at the latest G7, which sold at a price beyond the OP6, but the OP already has gotten updates.

To me its more of you're not getting your money's worth. A phone sold has some overhead that's supposed to go to software development. It's not only the construction that you pay for. So where did that go to when no such support was received? It also doesn't look good when budget devices from all the way back to 2017 are getting Pie from someone like Samsung.

If the LG G7 was launched at 500USD, sure I would be fine with it not getting updates. But it was

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The best comparison would be to either ignore a question or answer it vs. throwing in conclusions not asked for!

I'll try this again with emphasis....What's the percentage of all phones on 9? I didn't say Samsung, I asked for ALL. And I'm betting that number is below three percent.

Why should a flagship phone like a G7, sold at launch at around $800, be compared to a BLU sold at $150 in terms of software updates? Would you say they are comparable? Or would you say a G7 should be compared to an S8/Pixel instead, since they are both flagships?

It's far more acceptable for a $150 phone to not receive updates, than an $800 one to not receive. Especially when you have mid range 2017 phones sold at $300 two years ago getting updates.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got another security update. Whereas I do enjoy getting updates of any kind, I still wonder what the actual roadmap is for 9.0. Do they need to get this update out first in order to prep for 9.0?

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Wait for the 4. The SoC on the 3a is just a 670. In terms of capabilities, it's Snapdragon 820<670<835. It will be a downgrade for you.
I don't need the speed of a flagship. I had a Moto G4 Plus and was fine with it. Also trying to save some money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1