How do you add songs to the LG G7 music folder

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've been attempting to add a number of songs to my LG G7 music folder. I connect up to my computer, open up my LG G7 phone and attempt to drag and drop songs from a folder on my computer hard drive on to the music folder on my phone. The moment I drop the file on the folder I get a short Bong Bong Bong sound, and then nothing. The folder is still empty. The same thing happens when I attempt to add new ringtones to my LG G7 ringtone folder also by dragging and dropping.
I've only actually been able to accomplish this once, since I've gotten this new phone two weeks ago. I was able to add 2 new ringtones and 1 song, and it happened on just one day. I'm not aware of doing anything different that day. It was the third time I tried, and I haven't been able to reproduce this result again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved the thread to the G7 ThinQ forum.

When you connect via USB, are you also swiping the notification panel down, tapping the USB icon, and selecting MTP (or File Transfer)?

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
Thank you, I'm totally new to my LG G7, and these forums. Yes, I connect my phone to my computer, then tap and select the File transfer option. The contents of my phone are opened for view but something just seems to block me from importing anything into the phones folders.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume you're using Windows Explorer, correct? And you're copying the songs to the phone's Internal Storage, and not the SD card?

What happens if you copy the songs one at a time, rather than in a big batch?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you're using a Chromebook? If you're using a Windows PC, you should be using Windows Explorer, not a web browser.

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy, I'm very sorry I misunderstood your question. I'm using a Windows PC. You said "if you are using a Windows PC, you should be using Windows Explorer, not a web browser." I confused Windows Explorer with Windows Internet Explorer. I used to use Windows Internet Explorer but no longer do so. So, I'm using Windows Explorer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok -- so just to clarify, you're using the Windows Explorer file manager to drag and drop the music files from the PC hard drive to the phone's Internal Storage (to the /Music directory), and all you get is the bong bong sound, and nothing else happens?

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry B. Diddy. My computer crashed on Saturday and I just got it up and running again today.

Yes, in answer to your clarification request. I'm using the Windows Explorer file manager to drag and drop mp3's from my pc hard drive to the music folder on the phone, and the ringtone folder. I was able to get one song and two ringtones into their respective folders on the second day I tried. I'm not aware of doing anything different when this occurred. When I checked the music and ring tone folders, the three files were there. When I attempted to add others just a few moments later, I was unsuccessful.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different USB cable? Cables can start to fail, which might interfere with data transfer. Also, try a different USB port on the computer.

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
I appreciate the help very much B. Diddy. I used a brand new High quality USB cable and had no difficulties at all with adding to my music folder and ringtones folder on my LG G7. I am able to successfully the other cable, and do so several times a day, for transfer of photos and various other things. It just wouldn't work for transfer to my cell phone. Thanks again.