G8 vs V30

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone upgrade from a V30 that can comment on their experience? How does the battery compare? The main advantage of the V series was video recording capabilities - how does that compare on the G8?

Thanks!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping you find the answers you need soon! I unfortunately didn't have an LG V30 but I almost bought it last year and so I did a lot of research on it! It's a great phone so I definitely understand your hesitation before you get the G8. Are you not interested in getting the V50?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I had an unlocked V30 for all of two weeks. I had to sell it because of terrible reception on T-Mobile. I loved the battery life I was getting, and I still pine over the quad DAC, but I just couldn't. LG's UI also needs a massive visual overhaul and a more comprehensive theme store like Samsung's. But even if I were to overlook the latter, the terrible reception issues are something I can't.

Last edited:

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
I had the an unlocked V30 for all of two weeks. I had to sell it because of terrible reception on T-Mobile. I loved the battery life I was getting, and I still pine over the quad DAC, but I just couldn't. LG's UI also needs a massive visual overhaul and a more comprehensive theme store like Samsung's. But even if I were to overlook the latter, the terrible reception issues are something I can't.

But have you tried the G8? It had all of TMobile's bands. I would like to hear from someone who is actually using this phone concerning reception

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
But have you tried the G8? It had all of TMobile's bands. I would like to hear from someone who is actually using this phone concerning reception

I played with it some at a local Sprint store. The DAC was awesome as ever, and the UI has slight improvements in color palette but is largely the same. I'm not sure about the reception, but going by past history, I'm afraid to chance it again, which is a shame.

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I know how you feel! Have you checked out GSM Arena? I just recently looked up the V50 ThinQ 5G and it looks amazing!
I have. I'd just like to see a date so I had a general idea when it's coming.

I had an unlocked V30 for all of two weeks. I had to sell it because of terrible reception on T-Mobile. I loved the battery life I was getting, and I still pine over the quad DAC, but I just couldn't. LG's UI also needs a massive visual overhaul and a more comprehensive theme store like Samsung's. But even if I were to overlook the latter, the terrible reception issues are something I can't.
My reception on the V30 hasn't been an issue. Never had an issue with LG reception - Samsung on the other hand..
The V30 had all bands as well, although I've yet to catch it on B71.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site

One of the reasons I went for the G8 was because the service is supposed to be better. For the last few weeks I haven't been in areas that I have had issues in the past so I haven't felt much of an impact. It does feel like I have full bars more frequently then usual though the real test for me will be in the summer when I work in a camp out in a more rural area.

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the V30 and V40. I was actually using the V30 when I bought the G8. Battery life on the G8 is better. I don't see any difference in video capabilities. I'm still trying to figure out what the difference between the G8 and the V series is myself. I'm kinda loving the G8 right now. The camera is a huge step up from the V30, it's the perfect sized phone, and the speaker is much better for hand held content. The only thing the V30 wins out on is Daydream support IMO.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the V30 and V40. I was actually using the V30 when I bought the G8. Battery life on the G8 is better. I don't see any difference in video capabilities. I'm still trying to figure out what the difference between the G8 and the V series is myself. I'm kinda loving the G8 right now. The camera is a huge step up from the V30, it's the perfect sized phone, and the speaker is much better for hand held content. The only thing the V30 wins out on is Daydream support IMO.

Is there anything missing from the G8 that the V30 had such as certain video/audio recording functions? I know the V30 could actually record using the earpiece when audio is really loud, such as live concert recording.

Also, really glad to hear about the battery life. My V30+ has been great battery-wise and I'm very much thinking about swapping the V20 on my other line over to the G8.
Any other comments or considerations or conclusions you have come to?

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Is there anything missing from the G8 that the V30 had such as certain video/audio recording functions? I know the V30 could actually record using the earpiece when audio is really loud, such as live concert recording.

Also, really glad to hear about the battery life. My V30+ has been great battery-wise and I'm very much thinking about swapping the V20 on my other line over to the G8.
Any other comments or considerations or conclusions you have come to?
I haven't had a chance to record really loud audio like concerts but I know the receiver as mic is still present in the G8. The audio capture curing video recording is something I'm actually disappointed in. The V30/40 worked flawlessly in every environment you shot video in but the G8 sounds like you're recording in a box and picks up every background noise with everything being incredibly tinny sounding. I really hope they supply a software fix for the problem because it seems like the gain is all out of whack.

I don't know if that problem is present in the HD recorder.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to record really loud audio like concerts but I know the receiver as mic is still present in the G8. The audio capture curing video recording is something I'm actually disappointed in. The V30/40 worked flawlessly in every environment you shot video in but the G8 sounds like you're recording in a box and picks up every background noise with everything being incredibly tinny sounding. I really hope they supply a software fix for the problem because it seems like the gain is all out of whack.

I don't know if that problem is present in the HD recorder.

That's a shame! I really don't want to go as big as the V40 necessarily, but if I'm going that big, I'm actually considering the Oneplus 7 Pro due to price points. I know I'd lose headphone jack, but there is a hi-res dongle Vlad on TheVerge reviewed very highly that is reasonably priced ao takes a bit of the sting out of it. Plus, I've been firmly in camp LG through the Optimus G, G3, G4, V20, and V30 so maybe I'm itching for a change just for the sake of it. But man, that red on the G8 sure is pretty, LOL! And I must say I'm a bit intrigued by the screen as a speaker.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The screen speaker is really good for calls. There's no privacy on calls however but it works so much better than a traditional speaker. You can put your ear anywhere on the device and hear a call unlike the V40 that had that stupid offset speaker that I never got used to. A true front facing speaker is still better for media consumption though.

I read that you can fix the mics through manual video mode but I haven't messed with it yet.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The screen speaker is really good for calls. There's no privacy on calls however but it works so much better than a traditional speaker. You can put your ear anywhere on the device and hear a call unlike the V40 that had that stupid offset speaker that I never got used to. A true front facing speaker is still better for media consumption though.

I read that you can fix the mics through manual video mode but I haven't messed with it yet.

That's awesome! But please keep us posted on the mic-fixing situation.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So I got my Carmine Red G8 Friday night. I know it may take a bit to stabilize, but so far my battery drain is much worse than my V30+. Again, too early to judge, but we'll see. It may be that using LG backup to copy all my stuff from the V30+ to the G8 is less than optimal. Otherwise I like it so far. Notch has been fairly easy to ignore. Especially since the 3D face unlock is so ridiculously fast!

One major gripe I have though is adding an extra power button. The fingerprint scanner serving dual purpose as button was an excellent implementation. They have removed the button functionality and added an additional power button on the side. Nearly opposite the volume buttons. This is fine...I guess. My gripe comes in with the Google assistant button placed below the volume buttons. While I would find this button useful, I believe I will actually disable it because it makes it impossible for me to use my vent mounted wireless charger in the car as it's placement is right where that wireless charger grips the phone.

The screen seems to be a big improvement quality-wise over the V30, though mine was quite an early build so later builds may have improved.

Size-wise the G8 is narrower, but thicker than the V30, but it feels okay in the hand. Not sure if I have a preference physically one way or another.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So I think I've determined that I can disable the "hold" to talk to Google assistant function and still use my wireless charging cradle.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So I got my Carmine Red G8 Friday night. I know it may take a bit to stabilize, but so far my battery drain is much worse than my V30+. Again, too early to judge, but we'll see. It may be that using LG backup to copy all my stuff from the V30+ to the G8 is less than optimal. Otherwise I like it so far. Notch has been fairly easy to ignore. Especially since the 3D face unlock is so ridiculously fast!

One major gripe I have though is adding an extra power button. The fingerprint scanner serving dual purpose as button was an excellent implementation. They have removed the button functionality and added an additional power button on the side. Nearly opposite the volume buttons. This is fine...I guess. My gripe comes in with the Google assistant button placed below the volume buttons. While I would find this button useful, I believe I will actually disable it because it makes it impossible for me to use my vent mounted wireless charger in the car as it's placement is right where that wireless charger grips the phone.

The screen seems to be a big improvement quality-wise over the V30, though mine was quite an early build so later builds may have improved.

Size-wise the G8 is narrower, but thicker than the V30, but it feels okay in the hand. Not sure if I have a preference physically one way or another.

Thank you for the review! Glad you got the disabling/Google Assistant thing sorted! How are you feeling about the camera?