G8 vs V30

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I like it so far! Seems good. I guess it doesn't have the laser auto focus the V30 has, but it seems to do well regardless. Only taken a few pics, nothing that really shows off anything yet, but I will try to take more.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I like it so far! Seems good. I guess it doesn't have the laser auto focus the V30 has, but it seems to do well regardless. Only taken a few pics, nothing that really shows off anything yet, but I will try to take more.

Thank you for your feedback!

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if anyone who switched from the V30 to the G8 has seen somewhat higher battery drain under the same conditions? I feel like standby time is significantly less and that's with the phones set up exactly the same using LG backup to transfer everything from the V30 to the G8.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I don't think we will see a phone with quite the battery power that the V30 does. Unless it's like 4000mah, far as I'm concerned, the V30 will have the better battery life. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to switch to another device like the V40 or G8 instead of my V30. It lasts me literally all day 99% of the time. From 5AM til 10PM. And that's on full resolution and 80% brightness.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we will see a phone with quite the battery power that the V30 does. Unless it's like 4000mah, far as I'm concerned, the V30 will have the better battery life. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to switch to another device like the V40 or G8 instead of my V30. It lasts me literally all day 99% of the time. From 5AM til 10PM. And that's on full resolution and 80% brightness.

Yeah, I hear you. It has gotten better though. Currently sitting at 77% with 3h 5m screen time and 16 hours remaining. I haven't really suffered because of the battery life.

Attachments

• 4950.jpg
    4950.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 41

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
That's a really good SOT!

Yeah, I didn't record it, but SOT does seem quite high. I think I've seen 7 hours or so. I think standby time may be a bit more questionable. I set up the phone using LG backup from my V30 so it's about as close as a comparison as you can get, but the V30 seems to barely sip power when the screen is off. I know I could come off the charger around 8 am, work until 6 and still have maybe 92% battery life so maybe

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't record it, but SOT does seem quite high. I think I've seen 7 hours or so. I think standby time may be a bit more questionable. I set up the phone using LG backup from my V30 so it's about as close as a comparison as you can get, bug the V30 seems to barely sip power when the screen is off. I know I could come off the charger around 8 am, work until 6 and still have maybe 92% battery life so maybe <1% per hour power consumption when not being used.

Keep us posted on standby time! My husband's G7 has really good standby time.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to record really loud audio like concerts but I know the receiver as mic is still present in the G8. The audio capture curing video recording is something I'm actually disappointed in. The V30/40 worked flawlessly in every environment you shot video in but the G8 sounds like you're recording in a box and picks up every background noise with everything being incredibly tinny sounding. I really hope they supply a software fix for the problem because it seems like the gain is all out of whack.

I don't know if that problem is present in the HD recorder.

So I was watching this video and if you skip to 7:45 they compare the far field mic in the V40 to the one on the G8. Pretty interesting comparison.
https://youtu.be/O3vWU4Pl7UQ

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I had an unlocked V30 for all of two weeks. I had to sell it because of terrible reception on T-Mobile. I loved the battery life I was getting, and I still pine over the quad DAC, but I just couldn't. LG's UI also needs a massive visual overhaul and a more comprehensive theme store like Samsung's. But even if I were to overlook the latter, the terrible reception issues are something I can't.

I've had the T-mobile v30 since launch(2 years next month), and it's been flawless.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't really remember too much about the V30. That was like 9 phones ago. But the FFC is so much better on the G8. Plus it adds a TOF camera which is supposed to be more secure than a fingerprint sensor. I think the base storage is double on the G8. I just think the G8 is an improvement over the V30 because it is 2 iterations improved spec wise.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci