Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
05-21-2019 05:57 PM
96 ... 234
tools
    Software aside, LG phones are quite good. They are great for audiophiles, have versatile and decent cameras (not the best, but still good), an adequate battery and display as well. The only thing is that they aren’t value for money, especially when you consider the features and devices companies like Samsung, Huawei, OnePlus etc offer for the same price.
    05-13-2019 11:28 AM
    People are probably not going to like what I have to say but someone has to say it. I bought into the DAC argument for LG phones with the V30S and G7. Never again. You can buy a nice DAC for any phone (check out Fii0 BTR1K) to use with your headphones. You CANNOT buy routine software security updates and routine OS support/updates. You CANNOT buy better camera functioning (some recent in depth camera comparisons still put the G8 behind the S10, Pixel 3 and even the OnePlus 6t in some tests). You CANNOT buy a better skin (yes you can change the launcher but that still doesn't make the rest of the LG settings skins any better). A DAC is not good enough to recommend any LG phone right now over a lot of others. A DAC is one of the few things you can change for any phone. The LG phones have too many issues you cannot change.
    I've got the V30. To be honest, no issues whatsoever. Even today, I can't find a phone worth trading up to. I would have considered the oneplus 7pro, but no expandable storage, no wireless charging, and no 3.5mm jack or hifi dac. Just not going to pay for less.
    Morty2264 and thunder18 like this.
    05-14-2019 08:19 AM
    I've got the V30. To be honest, no issues whatsoever. Even today, I can't find a phone worth trading up to. I would have considered the oneplus 7pro, but no expandable storage, no wireless charging, and no 3.5mm jack or hifi dac. Just not going to pay for less.
    The V30 is a really good phone! I don't blame you for not wanting to upgrade just yet!
    05-14-2019 01:08 PM
    Looking to get a new phone. Switching from moto g5 plus. I've been using stock android since I switched from my S5 years ago.
    1) how much of a change (for better or for worse) is the LG skin?
    2) What's the camera quality like compared to say a S7?
    3) From looking at the phone and LG phones in general they seem quite solid. What gives them the weak reputation that they seem to have on the web?
    4) Just in general what about this phone makes it worth getting? Convince me.
    I apologize for the jumbled mess, I'm multitasking at work:

1) The LG skin really isn't that bad. IMO the V30 and V40 added some nice features and customizations without bogging down the experience. I dislike the settings menus but they're easy to get used to and the search feature makes navigation easier if you don't like it.

My phone history is mostly Nexus based with a few Samsungs sprinkled in and I've found the LG skin is definitely heads and shoulders above Samsung (as is its longevity) and I've found performance on par with Google's offerings. That being said, I use Microsoft launcher as I find some of LG's skin annoying. I love LG's double tap on and off feature too....every phone needs that. Their face unlock is the best I've used too.

2) FWIW, the G8 sits at the top of the VCX scores right now. I found the V30 and V40 camera hardware to be nice when paired with Gcam ports but the stock software was horrific. Side by side pictures of the stock app vs Gcam of my son showed shocking results (search my post history for the links). His hair was a blurry mess with the stock app and the Gcam port showed each individual hair in great detail. Facial features are always blurred out on the stock app too. My G8 comes in tomorrow so I'll start doing some side by sides. I'm considering picking up a P30 Pro to test it out too but my experience with LG's cameras has been mixed. When they nail it they really get it right but when they flub it up it's bad....especially handling motion. The pixel camera seems to handle those tough situations more consistently so I'm interested to see how the G8 performs. Honestly, the Gcam ports saved both the V30 and V40.

3) Boot loops from many, many, many generations ago. The reality is that people love to hate on LG and a negative LG review generates more traffic than a positive one. I'm not big on conspiracy theories but tech reviewers are clearly biased....clearly. There really isn't any denying it at this point. Look no further than the Pcworld review yesterday. Apparently it's a great phone but the gimmicks ruin it.....then turn off the gimmicks and you're left with a great phone you *****. Their camera review was hilarious too.....they supplied two images and in each of them they said the Pixel was sharper and more detailed yet the G8 was in better focus in one and in the other the focal point was completely different and if you looked at the G8's focal point it nailed the detail. There are a few reviewers like Juan Bagnell and another blogger (I can't think of his name) that give them more of a fair shot but outside reviewers are hacks when dealing with LG.

4) Obviously the headphone output is bonkers but what that jack does for the mics that sets this phone apart. Audio recording absolutely leaves every other phone on the market in the dust. Not only does it record stereo sound but the receiver as mic flips over on loud sounds and records amazing audio when other phones simply **** the bed. You'd be surprised how often that comes into play. The video recording modes are amazing too so combine that with the audio and your cell phone videos don't look nor sound like videos recorded in a tin can. Speaking of sound, I've found their earpiece speakers to be really good on calls.

The G8 is cheaper too. I just paid $399 on Swappa and the Samsungs are up in the $750 range. The 3XL is similarly priced but outside of the camera that phone is complete garbage....especially with video and audio. I prefer the ergonomics of LG's phones too. The V40 was too tall so I'm excited to get something smaller again. Plus the finger print reader.....screw Samsung's in screen reader....LG got that right. Sdcard support is huge too, Google doesn't offer that. I've also found my V30 and V40 to be more reliable. That used to be the Nexus/Pixel strength but that brand has really fallen apart recently.

The downsides are accessories. Good luck....there are none. I'm interested to see how the front facing camera stacks up but the V30 and V40's cameras were God awful. I don't have high hopes for the G8's front cameras. The boombox speaker is nice but I'd prefer true front facing speakers. Updates are non-existent too but I really don't see why people care about them when 99% of people can't name any new features updates give them.
    editguy, Morty2264 and thunder18 like this.
    05-14-2019 02:17 PM
    I apologize for the jumbled mess, I'm multitasking at work:

1) The LG skin really isn't that bad. IMO the V30 and V40 added some nice features and customizations without bogging down the experience. I dislike the settings menus but they're easy to get used to and the search feature makes navigation easier if you don't like it.

My phone history is mostly Nexus based with a few Samsungs sprinkled in and I've found the LG skin is definitely heads and shoulders above Samsung (as is its longevity) and I've found performance on par with Google's offerings. That being said, I use Microsoft launcher as I find some of LG's skin annoying. I love LG's double tap on and off feature too....every phone needs that. Their face unlock is the best I've used too.

2) FWIW, the G8 sits at the top of the VCX scores right now. I found the V30 and V40 camera hardware to be nice when paired with Gcam ports but the stock software was horrific. Side by side pictures of the stock app vs Gcam of my son showed shocking results (search my post history for the links). His hair was a blurry mess with the stock app and the Gcam port showed each individual hair in great detail. Facial features are always blurred out on the stock app too. My G8 comes in tomorrow so I'll start doing some side by sides. I'm considering picking up a P30 Pro to test it out too but my experience with LG's cameras has been mixed. When they nail it they really get it right but when they flub it up it's bad....especially handling motion. The pixel camera seems to handle those tough situations more consistently so I'm interested to see how the G8 performs. Honestly, the Gcam ports saved both the V30 and V40.

3) Boot loops from many, many, many generations ago. The reality is that people love to hate on LG and a negative LG review generates more traffic than a positive one. I'm not big on conspiracy theories but tech reviewers are clearly biased....clearly. There really isn't any denying it at this point. Look no further than the Pcworld review yesterday. Apparently it's a great phone but the gimmicks ruin it.....then turn off the gimmicks and you're left with a great phone you *****. Their camera review was hilarious too.....they supplied two images and in each of them they said the Pixel was sharper and more detailed yet the G8 was in better focus in one and in the other the focal point was completely different and if you looked at the G8's focal point it nailed the detail. There are a few reviewers like Juan Bagnell and another blogger (I can't think of his name) that give them more of a fair shot but outside reviewers are hacks when dealing with LG.

4) Obviously the headphone output is bonkers but what that jack does for the mics that sets this phone apart. Audio recording absolutely leaves every other phone on the market in the dust. Not only does it record stereo sound but the receiver as mic flips over on loud sounds and records amazing audio when other phones simply **** the bed. You'd be surprised how often that comes into play. The video recording modes are amazing too so combine that with the audio and your cell phone videos don't look nor sound like videos recorded in a tin can. Speaking of sound, I've found their earpiece speakers to be really good on calls.

The G8 is cheaper too. I just paid $399 on Swappa and the Samsungs are up in the $750 range. The 3XL is similarly priced but outside of the camera that phone is complete garbage....especially with video and audio. I prefer the ergonomics of LG's phones too. The V40 was too tall so I'm excited to get something smaller again. Plus the finger print reader.....screw Samsung's in screen reader....LG got that right. Sdcard support is huge too, Google doesn't offer that. I've also found my V30 and V40 to be more reliable. That used to be the Nexus/Pixel strength but that brand has really fallen apart recently.

The downsides are accessories. Good luck....there are none. I'm interested to see how the front facing camera stacks up but the V30 and V40's cameras were God awful. I don't have high hopes for the G8's front cameras. The boombox speaker is nice but I'd prefer true front facing speakers. Updates are non-existent too but I really don't see why people care about them when 99% of people can't name any new features updates give them.
    I too feel like some are against LG as far as the whole "they had bootloops with other generations, so I am writing them off." Don't get me wrong, bootloops are bad - but every mobile phone manufacturer, from Samsung to Apple, has had their share of mishaps. It's not just LG. Of course, all that is up to the individual consumer.
    editguy and OhAlfie like this.
    05-15-2019 06:04 PM
    I think that it really comes down to personal preference when buying a new phone. I try out new phones and brands, but end up coming back to LG. Samsung phones are nice, but my experience with them, they always bog down after a while and I'm just not a fan of the curved edge screen. The pixel phones have a nice camera, but without SD card expansion and a headphone jack, I'm out.
    I have had the LG G2, G4, V20 and the V30S in between Samsung and pixel phones and I have sold or returned the Samsung and pixel phones and always come back to LG.
    I love the audio, hi-fi mics, quad DAC, wide angle camera, and just great ergonomics. LG phones are flexible and customizable. No matter the phone, I slap Nova launcher on it, and with LG, Mark Bencze has some really great customizable themes that are really awesome from the play store.
    In the end, it really is a personal preference to what is most important to you as far as buying a new phone. Right now mine is LG.
    05-16-2019 02:56 PM
    I held a G8 in a store today and man... That is one gorgeous phone. I love it!
    05-18-2019 09:52 PM
    I held a G8 in a store today and man... That is one gorgeous phone. I love it!
    The red version is gorgeous. I wish AT&T carried it. I ended up with the silver and it's a beautiful phone.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-19-2019 12:59 AM
    I’ve been to 4 different Verizon stores here in Chicago and not one of them carries them in store. No display model and not in stock. Is it online only??
    05-19-2019 07:18 AM
    The red version is gorgeous. I wish AT&T carried it. I ended up with the silver and it's a beautiful phone.
    Silver is beautiful too! How are you finding the camera?
    05-19-2019 09:12 AM
    I’ve been to 4 different Verizon stores here in Chicago and not one of them carries them in store. No display model and not in stock. Is it online only??
    That's too bad! I know I had to hunt to find a display model as well (but I'm in Canada). I don't think it's online only in the US - hopefully someone will get back to you soon about that!
    05-19-2019 09:12 AM
    I'm still digging the camera!
    Attached Thumbnails Considering the G8. Convince me.-13794.jpg  
    editguy likes this.
    05-19-2019 04:35 PM
    I'm still digging the camera!
    Gorgeous! Is that just a point and shoot shot or did you do some after shot editing?
    05-19-2019 06:49 PM
    Gorgeous! Is that just a point and shoot shot or did you do some after shot editing?
    No editing, just used AI mode, point and shoot.
    05-19-2019 07:06 PM
    Silver is beautiful too! How are you finding the camera?
    I'm really digging the silver. Unfortunately I have it behind a paper thin case with some grip because the phone is slick.

As far as LG cameras go it's the best so far. The V40's stock app really crapped the bed compared to Gcam port but the G8 seems to have closed that gap a little. I dont cringe in fear of missimg the shot when I have to use the stock app like used to.

I took pictures of my son in mediocre indoor lighting this weekend and Gcam was flawless. The stock auto mode faired well but started blurring the details slightly. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as detailed as Gcam. I posted about this problem on the V40 forum when it released and it's definitely improved in the G8. All in all its a really good camera.

The stock HDR and AI modes were horrific and made my son look like a watercolor painting of blur. I haven't really tested HDR out in good light yet but reviews have me believing hdr will be pretty good in better light.

Video and audio recording are bonkers as usual. The front facing camera is miles better than the V40. Night mode is actually pretty good. Obviously nothing is going to touch the P30 Pro but LG did pretty well here. It isn't as great at bringing light to the scene as the pixel but the results are cleaner.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-20-2019 02:27 AM
    I'm really digging the silver. Unfortunately I have it behind a paper thin case with some grip because the phone is slick.

As far as LG cameras go it's the best so far. The V40's stock app really crapped the bed compared to Gcam port but the G8 seems to have closed that gap a little. I dont cringe in fear of missimg the shot when I have to use the stock app like used to.

I took pictures of my son in mediocre indoor lighting this weekend and Gcam was flawless. The stock auto mode faired well but started blurring the details slightly. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as detailed as Gcam. I posted about this problem on the V40 forum when it released and it's definitely improved in the G8. All in all its a really good camera.

The stock HDR and AI modes were horrific and made my son look like a watercolor painting of blur. I haven't really tested HDR out in good light yet but reviews have me believing hdr will be pretty good in better light.

Video and audio recording are bonkers as usual. The front facing camera is miles better than the V40. Night mode is actually pretty good. Obviously nothing is going to touch the P30 Pro but LG did pretty well here. It isn't as great at bringing light to the scene as the pixel but the results are cleaner.
    I keep on hearing about Gcam. If it's a copy of the Pixel software how does it work with the wide angle lens? Also just in general is it buggy or laggy?
    05-20-2019 04:14 PM

Thank you for your detailed review of your experiences thus far! It's good to know that Night Mode is faring well and that taking quick shots are more flawless than on previous LG models.
    05-20-2019 07:49 PM
    I keep on hearing about Gcam. If it's a copy of the Pixel software how does it work with the wide angle lens? Also just in general is it buggy or laggy?
    Gcam on the G8 runs pretty smooth actually. The version I found only works with the primary lens.
    05-20-2019 10:24 PM
    Gcam on the G8 runs pretty smooth actually. The version I found only works with the primary lens.
    What version are you ruining? I'm using Arnovas 1.5 and it's working better than every other one I've tried with the exception of the night mode viewfinder. When it's Darrell the viewfinder freezes on the first position it sees. Strangely, that doesn't happen in good light
    05-21-2019 11:03 AM
    What version are you ruining? I'm using Arnovas 1.5 and it's working better than every other one I've tried with the exception of the night mode viewfinder. When it's Darrell the viewfinder freezes on the first position it sees. Strangely, that doesn't happen in good light
    Im using build 1.3.03119.0645build-6.1.021
    05-21-2019 11:28 AM
    Im using build 1.3.03119.0645build-6.1.021
    How/where would I get the apk from? I'm pretty new to this. For years I was a whatever the phone comes out of the box is what I get and only recently have I dabbled in customization and non default alternatives.
    05-21-2019 05:57 PM
96 ... 234